Valenciennes is a charming city located in the northern part of France. Known for its rich history and cultural heritage, Valenciennes offers a wide range of activities for visitors to enjoy. Whether you’re interested in exploring historical sites, indulging in delicious cuisine, or simply taking in the beauty of the city, there is something for everyone in Valenciennes. In this blog post, we will highlight the 30 best things to do in Valenciennes.
- Best Things to Do in Valenciennes (France)
- 1. Visit the Grand Place
- 2. Explore the Musee des Beaux-Arts
- 3. Take a Stroll in the Jardin de la Rhonelle
- 4. Visit the Notre-Dame du Saint-Cordon
- 5. Explore the Chateau de Valenciennes
- 6. Indulge in Local Cuisine
- 7. Take a Boat Tour on the Escaut River
- 8. Attend a Performance at the Le Phenix Theatre
- 9. Explore the Valenciennes Museum of Fine Arts
- 10. Discover the Valenciennes Town Hall
- 11. Visit the Maison Espagnole
- 12. Take a Bike Ride along the RAVeL Path
- 13. Explore the Valenciennes Aqueduct
- 14. Visit the Valenciennes Natural History Museum
- 15. Take a Day Trip to the nearby city of Lille
- 16. Explore the Valenciennes Market
- 17. Attend a Festival or Event
- 18. Visit the Valenciennes Opera House
- 19. Explore the Valenciennes Public Library
- 20. Take a Guided Walking Tour of the City
- 21. Visit the Valenciennes Train Station
- 22. Explore the Valenciennes City Hall
- 23. Take a Cooking Class
- 24. Visit the Valenciennes Theatre
- 25. Explore the Valenciennes City Museum
- 26. Take a Day Trip to the nearby city of Brussels
- 27. Visit the Valenciennes University
- 28. Explore the Valenciennes Industrial Museum
- 29. Take a Wine Tasting Tour
- 30. Relax in one of Valenciennes’ Parks
Best Things to Do in Valenciennes (France)
1. Visit the Grand Place
The Grand Place is the heart of Valenciennes and is a must-visit for any traveler. This historic square is surrounded by beautiful buildings and is the perfect place to relax and soak in the atmosphere of the city.
2. Explore the Musee des Beaux-Arts
The Musee des Beaux-Arts is home to an impressive collection of artwork, including paintings, sculptures, and decorative arts. Art enthusiasts will appreciate the diverse range of pieces on display.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Prato (Italy)
3. Take a Stroll in the Jardin de la Rhonelle
The Jardin de la Rhonelle is a picturesque park that offers a peaceful escape from the hustle and bustle of the city. Take a leisurely stroll through the gardens and admire the beautiful flowers and greenery.
4. Visit the Notre-Dame du Saint-Cordon
The Notre-Dame du Saint-Cordon is a stunning cathedral that dates back to the 12th century. Take a guided tour to learn about the history and architecture of this magnificent building.
5. Explore the Chateau de Valenciennes
The Chateau de Valenciennes is a medieval fortress that offers a glimpse into the city’s past. Explore the castle grounds and learn about the rich history of Valenciennes.
6. Indulge in Local Cuisine
No visit to Valenciennes is complete without trying the local cuisine. From hearty stews to delicate pastries, the city offers a wide range of delicious dishes to satisfy any palate.
7. Take a Boat Tour on the Escaut River
Experience Valenciennes from a different perspective by taking a boat tour on the Escaut River. Enjoy the scenic views and learn about the city’s history from a knowledgeable guide.
8. Attend a Performance at the Le Phenix Theatre
The Le Phenix Theatre is a renowned performing arts venue that hosts a variety of shows, including plays, concerts, and dance performances. Check the schedule and catch a show during your visit.
9. Explore the Valenciennes Museum of Fine Arts
The Valenciennes Museum of Fine Arts is home to an extensive collection of artwork from various periods and styles. Spend a few hours browsing the exhibits and admiring the masterpieces.
10. Discover the Valenciennes Town Hall
The Valenciennes Town Hall is a beautiful building that showcases the city’s architectural heritage. Take a guided tour to learn about the history and significance of this iconic landmark.
11. Visit the Maison Espagnole
The Maison Espagnole is a historic house that offers a glimpse into the city’s Spanish past. Explore the rooms and learn about the influence of Spanish culture on Valenciennes.
12. Take a Bike Ride along the RAVeL Path
The RAVeL Path is a scenic cycling route that stretches for miles through the countryside surrounding Valenciennes. Rent a bike and enjoy a leisurely ride while taking in the beautiful scenery.
13. Explore the Valenciennes Aqueduct
The Valenciennes Aqueduct is an impressive engineering feat that dates back to the 18th century. Take a walk along the aqueduct and marvel at its architectural beauty.
14. Visit the Valenciennes Natural History Museum
The Valenciennes Natural History Museum is home to a wide range of exhibits that showcase the region’s flora, fauna, and geological history. Learn about the natural wonders of Valenciennes.
15. Take a Day Trip to the nearby city of Lille
If you have some extra time, consider taking a day trip to the nearby city of Lille. Known for its vibrant culture and stunning architecture, Lille is worth a visit.
16. Explore the Valenciennes Market
The Valenciennes Market is a bustling hub of activity where locals gather to buy fresh produce, artisanal products, and other goods. Take a stroll through the market and soak in the vibrant atmosphere.
17. Attend a Festival or Event
Valenciennes hosts a variety of festivals and events throughout the year. Check the local calendar and see if there are any celebrations happening during your visit.
18. Visit the Valenciennes Opera House
The Valenciennes Opera House is a beautiful building that showcases the city’s love for the performing arts. Take a guided tour or attend a performance to experience the grandeur of this historic venue.
19. Explore the Valenciennes Public Library
The Valenciennes Public Library is a treasure trove of knowledge and a great place to spend a rainy afternoon. Browse the shelves and discover a new book or two.
20. Take a Guided Walking Tour of the City
Join a guided walking tour to explore the city’s hidden gems and learn about its history from a knowledgeable guide. It’s a great way to get acquainted with Valenciennes.
21. Visit the Valenciennes Train Station
The Valenciennes Train Station is a beautiful example of architectural design and is worth a visit, even if you’re not catching a train. Admire the stunning facade and explore the interior.
22. Explore the Valenciennes City Hall
The Valenciennes City Hall is a magnificent building that showcases the city’s administrative center. Take a guided tour to learn about the inner workings of the city.
23. Take a Cooking Class
Immerse yourself in the local culture by taking a cooking class in Valenciennes. Learn how to prepare traditional dishes and bring a taste of France back home with you.
24. Visit the Valenciennes Theatre
The Valenciennes Theatre is a historic venue that hosts a variety of performances, including plays, musicals, and ballets. Check the schedule and catch a show during your visit.
25. Explore the Valenciennes City Museum
The Valenciennes City Museum is dedicated to preserving the city’s history and heritage. Browse the exhibits and learn about the people and events that have shaped Valenciennes.
26. Take a Day Trip to the nearby city of Brussels
If you’re up for an adventure, consider taking a day trip to the nearby city of Brussels. Known for its stunning architecture and delicious cuisine, Brussels is a great place to explore.
27. Visit the Valenciennes University
The Valenciennes University is a prestigious institution that offers a wide range of academic programs. Take a walk around the campus and soak in the intellectual atmosphere.
28. Explore the Valenciennes Industrial Museum
The Valenciennes Industrial Museum is dedicated to showcasing the city’s industrial heritage. Learn about the industries that have shaped Valenciennes over the years.
29. Take a Wine Tasting Tour
France is known for its excellent wines, and Valenciennes is no exception. Take a wine tasting tour and sample some of the region’s finest vintages.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Montbéliard (France)
30. Relax in one of Valenciennes’ Parks
Valenciennes is home to several beautiful parks where you can relax and unwind. Pack a picnic and spend a leisurely afternoon enjoying the fresh air.
These are just a few of the best things to do in Valenciennes. Whether you’re interested in history, art, food, or simply exploring the city, Valenciennes has something to offer. Plan your visit today and discover all that this charming city has to offer.