Welcome to Ushuaia, the southernmost city in the world! Situated in Argentina’s Tierra del Fuego province, Ushuaia is a picturesque city surrounded by stunning natural landscapes. Whether you’re an adventure enthusiast, nature lover, or history buff, Ushuaia offers a wide range of activities and attractions to explore. Here are the 30 best things to do in Ushuaia:
- Best Things to Do in Ushuaia (Argentina)
- 1. Explore Tierra del Fuego National Park
- 2. Take a Cruise to the Beagle Channel
- 3. Visit the End of the World Museum
- 4. Ride the End of the World Train
- 5. Go Trekking in Martial Glacier
- 6. Visit the Ushuaia Jail
- 7. Take a Helicopter Ride
- 8. Enjoy Winter Sports at Cerro Castor
- 9. Explore the Fagnano and Escondido Lakes
- 10. Go Wildlife Spotting in the Beagle Channel
- 11. Visit the Yamana Museum
- 12. Take a Day Trip to Estancia Harberton
- 13. Discover the Beagle Channel Lighthouse
- 14. Go Horseback Riding in the Andes
- 15. Explore the Ushuaia Bay
- 16. Visit the Ushuaia Maritime Museum
- 17. Go Fishing in the Beagle Channel
- 18. Enjoy a Traditional Asado
- 19. Take a Wildlife Safari
- 20. Visit the Ushuaia Prison Museum
- 21. Go Kayaking in the Beagle Channel
- 22. Explore the Martial Glacier Interpretation Center
- 23. Take a Scenic Drive along Route 3
- 24. Visit the Ushuaia Bay Casino
- 25. Explore the Cerro Alarkén Nature Reserve
- 26. Go Snowshoeing in the Winter Wonderland
- 27. Visit the Ushuaia Civic Center
- 28. Take a Penguin Watching Tour
- 29. Enjoy a Sunset Cruise
- 30. Sample Local Cuisine
Best Things to Do in Ushuaia (Argentina)
1. Explore Tierra del Fuego National Park
Start your Ushuaia adventure by exploring the breathtaking Tierra del Fuego National Park. Hike through its lush forests, admire the stunning lakes and rivers, and witness the diverse wildlife that calls this park home.
2. Take a Cruise to the Beagle Channel
Embark on a cruise to the famous Beagle Channel and enjoy the scenic views of the surrounding mountains, glaciers, and islands. Keep an eye out for sea lions, penguins, and other marine wildlife along the way.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Mar del Plata (Argentina)
3. Visit the End of the World Museum
Learn about the fascinating history of Ushuaia and its role as a former penal colony at the End of the World Museum. Explore the exhibits showcasing the city’s indigenous heritage, maritime history, and Antarctic exploration.
4. Ride the End of the World Train
Take a ride on the historic End of the World Train, also known as the Southern Fuegian Railway. This scenic train journey takes you through the beautiful landscapes of Tierra del Fuego, offering panoramic views of the surrounding mountains and forests.
5. Go Trekking in Martial Glacier
Embark on a thrilling trekking adventure in the Martial Glacier. Hike through the snow-capped peaks, marvel at the stunning ice formations, and enjoy breathtaking views of Ushuaia and the Beagle Channel.
6. Visit the Ushuaia Jail
Explore the historic Ushuaia Jail, also known as the Presidio. Learn about its dark past as a maximum-security prison and discover the stories of the inmates who were once held captive here.
7. Take a Helicopter Ride
Experience Ushuaia from a different perspective by taking a thrilling helicopter ride. Soar above the city and enjoy panoramic views of the surrounding mountains, glaciers, and the Beagle Channel.
8. Enjoy Winter Sports at Cerro Castor
If you’re visiting Ushuaia during the winter months, don’t miss the opportunity to enjoy winter sports at Cerro Castor. Ski or snowboard down the slopes, take a snowshoeing tour, or go dog sledding through the snowy landscapes.
9. Explore the Fagnano and Escondido Lakes
Embark on a scenic tour to the Fagnano and Escondido Lakes, located just outside of Ushuaia. Admire the stunning beauty of these glacial lakes, go fishing, or simply relax and enjoy the peaceful surroundings.
10. Go Wildlife Spotting in the Beagle Channel
Take a boat tour to the Beagle Channel and spot the diverse wildlife that inhabits the area. Keep your eyes peeled for sea lions, penguins, dolphins, and even whales if you’re lucky!
11. Visit the Yamana Museum
Learn about the indigenous Yamana people who once inhabited the region at the Yamana Museum. Discover their rich culture, traditions, and way of life through interactive exhibits and displays.
12. Take a Day Trip to Estancia Harberton
Escape the city and take a day trip to Estancia Harberton, a historic ranch located on the Beagle Channel. Explore the museum, visit the penguin colony on Martillo Island, and enjoy a traditional Patagonian lunch.
13. Discover the Beagle Channel Lighthouse
Visit the iconic Les Eclaireurs Lighthouse, also known as the Beagle Channel Lighthouse. Take a boat tour to this picturesque lighthouse and learn about its fascinating history and significance.
14. Go Horseback Riding in the Andes
Embark on a horseback riding adventure in the stunning Andes Mountains. Ride through the picturesque valleys, cross crystal-clear rivers, and enjoy breathtaking views of the surrounding landscapes.
15. Explore the Ushuaia Bay
Take a leisurely stroll along the Ushuaia Bay and soak in the beautiful views of the surrounding mountains and the Beagle Channel. Enjoy the fresh sea breeze and watch the sailboats as they glide across the water.
16. Visit the Ushuaia Maritime Museum
Learn about Ushuaia’s rich maritime history at the Ushuaia Maritime Museum. Discover the city’s connection to Antarctic exploration, see historic ships and artifacts, and learn about the challenges faced by early explorers.
17. Go Fishing in the Beagle Channel
Try your hand at fishing in the Beagle Channel, known for its abundance of fish species. Join a fishing tour and enjoy a day out on the water, surrounded by stunning natural beauty.
18. Enjoy a Traditional Asado
Indulge in a traditional Argentine asado, a mouthwatering barbecue feast. Savor delicious grilled meats, accompanied by local wines, and experience the warm hospitality of the locals.
19. Take a Wildlife Safari
Embark on a wildlife safari and explore the diverse ecosystems surrounding Ushuaia. Spot native wildlife such as guanacos, foxes, and even elusive Andean condors.
20. Visit the Ushuaia Prison Museum
Discover the dark history of Ushuaia’s prison system at the Ushuaia Prison Museum. Explore the preserved cellblocks, learn about the harsh conditions endured by the prisoners, and hear their stories of survival.
21. Go Kayaking in the Beagle Channel
Experience the beauty of the Beagle Channel up close by going kayaking. Paddle through the calm waters, explore hidden coves, and enjoy the serenity of this pristine natural environment.
22. Explore the Martial Glacier Interpretation Center
Learn about the formation and significance of the Martial Glacier at the Interpretation Center. Explore the interactive exhibits, watch informative videos, and gain a deeper understanding of this natural wonder.
23. Take a Scenic Drive along Route 3
Embark on a scenic drive along Route 3, also known as the Pan-American Highway. Enjoy breathtaking views of the surrounding landscapes, stop at scenic viewpoints, and discover hidden gems along the way.
24. Visit the Ushuaia Bay Casino
Try your luck at the Ushuaia Bay Casino, located in the heart of the city. Test your skills at the various table games and slot machines, and enjoy live entertainment and delicious cocktails.
25. Explore the Cerro Alarkén Nature Reserve
Embark on a hiking adventure in the Cerro Alarkén Nature Reserve. Discover its diverse flora and fauna, enjoy panoramic views of Ushuaia, and spot native bird species along the way.
26. Go Snowshoeing in the Winter Wonderland
Experience the magic of Ushuaia’s winter wonderland by going snowshoeing. Explore the snowy landscapes, trek through the pristine forests, and enjoy the peacefulness of this winter paradise.
27. Visit the Ushuaia Civic Center
Explore the iconic Ushuaia Civic Center, located in the heart of the city. Admire its unique architecture, stroll through the surrounding gardens, and enjoy the stunning views of the Beagle Channel.
28. Take a Penguin Watching Tour
Embark on a penguin watching tour to Martillo Island, home to a large colony of Magellanic and Gentoo penguins. Get up close to these adorable creatures, learn about their behavior, and capture unforgettable photos.
29. Enjoy a Sunset Cruise
End your day in Ushuaia with a relaxing sunset cruise along the Beagle Channel. Watch as the sun sets behind the mountains, painting the sky with vibrant colors, and enjoy a glass of champagne as you soak in the beauty of the surroundings.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Vierzon (France)
30. Sample Local Cuisine
Indulge in the flavors of Ushuaia by sampling the local cuisine. Try traditional dishes such as centolla (king crab), merluza negra (Patagonian toothfish), and cordero fueguino (Tierra del Fuego lamb), and experience the unique flavors of the region.
With its stunning natural beauty, rich history, and diverse range of activities, Ushuaia truly offers something for everyone. Whether you’re seeking adventure, relaxation, or cultural experiences, this southernmost city in the world will not disappoint. So pack your bags and get ready to embark on an unforgettable journey in Ushuaia!