Tomar, a picturesque town located in central Portugal, is a hidden gem waiting to be explored. With its rich history, stunning architecture, and vibrant culture, there are countless things to see and do in this enchanting destination. Whether you’re a history buff, an outdoor enthusiast, or a food lover, Tomar has something for everyone. Here are the 30 best things to do in Tomar:
- Best Things to Do in Tomar (Portugal)
- 1. Visit the Convent of Christ
- 2. Explore the Templar Castle
- 3. Wander the Historic Center
- 4. Admire the Church of Santa Maria do Olival
- 5. Take a Boat Ride on the Nabão River
- 6. Explore the Aqueduct of Pegões
- 7. Visit the Museu dos Fósforos
- 8. Discover the Synagogue of Tomar
- 9. Take a Guided Tour of the Mouchão Park
- 10. Indulge in Local Cuisine
- 11. Visit the Church of São João Baptista
- 12. Explore the Natural Park of Serra de Aire e Candeeiros
- 13. Attend a Fado Concert
- 14. Visit the Chapel of Nossa Senhora da Conceição
- 15. Explore the Tomar Municipal Market
- 16. Attend the Festa dos Tabuleiros
- 17. Discover the Tomar Synagogue Museum
- 18. Take a Day Trip to the Castle of Almourol
- 19. Relax at the Praceta Dr. Sousa Gomes
- 20. Visit the Church of Santa Iria
- 21. Explore the Tomar Railway Station
- 22. Attend a Traditional Bullfight
- 23. Explore the Almourol Castle Interpretation Center
- 24. Take a Wine Tour
- 25. Visit the Church of Santa Maria do Castelo
- 26. Explore the Tomar Municipal Library
- 27. Participate in a Cooking Class
- 28. Visit the Church of São Pedro
- 29. Take a Guided Tour of the Tomar Synagogue
- 30. Relax at the Praia Fluvial do Castelo de Bode
Best Things to Do in Tomar (Portugal)
1. Visit the Convent of Christ
Start your journey by exploring the Convent of Christ, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. This medieval castle and monastery complex is a masterpiece of Portuguese architecture.
2. Explore the Templar Castle
Step back in time as you wander through the Templar Castle, an impressive fortress built in the 12th century. Marvel at its intricate details and panoramic views of the surrounding area.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Compiègne (France)
3. Wander the Historic Center
Take a stroll through the historic center of Tomar and admire the well-preserved buildings, charming cobblestone streets, and beautiful gardens. Don’t miss the picturesque Praça da República.
4. Admire the Church of Santa Maria do Olival
Visit the Church of Santa Maria do Olival, a Gothic-style church with a tranquil atmosphere. Take a moment to appreciate the stunning stained glass windows and peaceful surroundings.
5. Take a Boat Ride on the Nabão River
Enjoy a leisurely boat ride on the Nabão River and take in the scenic views of Tomar from a different perspective. This is a great way to relax and soak up the natural beauty of the area.
6. Explore the Aqueduct of Pegões
Marvel at the impressive Aqueduct of Pegões, an engineering marvel from the 16th century. Walk along the arches and imagine the history and craftsmanship that went into its construction.
7. Visit the Museu dos Fósforos
Discover the fascinating history of matchsticks at the Museu dos Fósforos. Learn about the evolution of this everyday item and see a collection of unique matchbox labels from around the world.
8. Discover the Synagogue of Tomar
Explore the Synagogue of Tomar, one of the oldest synagogues in Portugal. Admire its beautiful architecture and learn about the Jewish history of the town.
9. Take a Guided Tour of the Mouchão Park
Join a guided tour of the Mouchão Park, a peaceful oasis in the heart of Tomar. Learn about the local flora and fauna and enjoy a relaxing walk along the river.
10. Indulge in Local Cuisine
Sample the delicious local cuisine of Tomar. Try traditional dishes like bacalhau à bras (codfish with potatoes and eggs) or leitão à bairrada (roast suckling pig). Don’t forget to pair your meal with a glass of Portuguese wine.
11. Visit the Church of São João Baptista
Admire the stunning interior of the Church of São João Baptista, known for its beautiful azulejo tiles and intricate woodwork. Take a moment to appreciate the craftsmanship and attention to detail.
12. Explore the Natural Park of Serra de Aire e Candeeiros
Embark on an outdoor adventure in the Natural Park of Serra de Aire e Candeeiros. Hike through the rugged terrain, explore caves, and enjoy breathtaking views of the surrounding countryside.
13. Attend a Fado Concert
Immerse yourself in the soulful sounds of Fado, Portugal’s traditional music genre. Check out local venues in Tomar for a chance to experience this unique cultural expression.
14. Visit the Chapel of Nossa Senhora da Conceição
Pay a visit to the Chapel of Nossa Senhora da Conceição, a small but charming chapel with beautiful tile work and a peaceful atmosphere. Take a moment to reflect and enjoy the serenity.
15. Explore the Tomar Municipal Market
Take a stroll through the Tomar Municipal Market and experience the vibrant atmosphere of a traditional Portuguese market. Browse the stalls filled with fresh produce, local crafts, and delicious treats.
16. Attend the Festa dos Tabuleiros
If you’re lucky enough to visit Tomar during the Festa dos Tabuleiros, you’re in for a treat. This traditional festival takes place every four years and features a colorful procession and a variety of cultural events.
17. Discover the Tomar Synagogue Museum
Learn more about the Jewish history of Tomar at the Tomar Synagogue Museum. Explore the exhibits and gain a deeper understanding of the town’s multicultural heritage.
18. Take a Day Trip to the Castle of Almourol
Embark on a day trip to the Castle of Almourol, a medieval castle located on a small island in the middle of the Tagus River. Enjoy a boat ride to the castle and explore its fascinating history.
19. Relax at the Praceta Dr. Sousa Gomes
Unwind and soak up the sun at the Praceta Dr. Sousa Gomes, a charming square with beautiful gardens and a peaceful atmosphere. Pack a picnic and enjoy a leisurely afternoon in this idyllic spot.
20. Visit the Church of Santa Iria
Discover the Church of Santa Iria, a Baroque-style church with stunning architecture and ornate decorations. Take a moment to admire the intricate details and serene ambiance.
21. Explore the Tomar Railway Station
Take a detour to the Tomar Railway Station and marvel at its beautiful tile panels depicting scenes from Portuguese history. This is a great spot for photography enthusiasts.
22. Attend a Traditional Bullfight
Experience the excitement of a traditional bullfight at the Tomar Bullring. Watch as skilled bullfighters showcase their talents in this age-old Portuguese tradition.
23. Explore the Almourol Castle Interpretation Center
Learn about the history and significance of the Almourol Castle at the Interpretation Center. Discover the castle’s strategic location and its role in defending the region.
24. Take a Wine Tour
Embark on a wine tour and explore the vineyards and wineries surrounding Tomar. Learn about the winemaking process and sample a variety of delicious Portuguese wines.
25. Visit the Church of Santa Maria do Castelo
Admire the beautiful facade of the Church of Santa Maria do Castelo, a Romanesque-style church with a rich history. Step inside and marvel at the stunning interior.
26. Explore the Tomar Municipal Library
Take a moment to appreciate the beauty of the Tomar Municipal Library, housed in a former convent. Browse the collection of books and soak up the peaceful atmosphere.
27. Participate in a Cooking Class
Learn how to prepare traditional Portuguese dishes by participating in a cooking class. Discover the secrets of Portuguese cuisine and enjoy a delicious meal at the end of the class.
28. Visit the Church of São Pedro
Pay a visit to the Church of São Pedro, a stunning church with a mix of architectural styles. Admire the intricate details and beautiful stained glass windows.
29. Take a Guided Tour of the Tomar Synagogue
Join a guided tour of the Tomar Synagogue and learn about the history and significance of this important cultural landmark. Gain a deeper understanding of the Jewish heritage of Tomar.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Chambéry (France)
30. Relax at the Praia Fluvial do Castelo de Bode
Escape the summer heat and cool off at the Praia Fluvial do Castelo de Bode, a beautiful river beach located near Tomar. Enjoy swimming, sunbathing, and picnicking in this idyllic setting.
With so many incredible things to see and do, Tomar is a must-visit destination in Portugal. Whether you’re interested in history, architecture, nature, or food, this charming town has it all. Plan your trip to Tomar and get ready to create unforgettable memories.