New Milford, Connecticut, is a charming town located in Litchfield County. With its scenic beauty, rich history, and vibrant community, there are plenty of things to see and do in this picturesque town. Whether you’re a nature enthusiast, history buff, or art lover, New Milford has something for everyone. In this article, we have curated a list of the 30 best things to do in New Milford, CT, to help you plan your visit.
- 1. Visit Lover’s Leap State Park
- 2. Explore Harrybrooke Park
- 3. Take a Stroll on the New Milford Green
- 4. Visit the New Milford Historical Society and Museum
- 5. Enjoy a Day at Candlewood Lake
- 6. Explore the Weantinoge Heritage Land Trust
- 7. Visit the Merwinsville Hotel
- 8. Discover the Silo at Hunt Hill Farm
- 9. Go Antique Shopping
- 10. Attend a Play at the TheatreWorks
- 11. Take a Ride on the Housatonic Railroad
- 12. Visit the Housatonic Valley Museum
- 13. Explore the Pratt Nature Center
- 14. Enjoy Wine Tasting at the Hopkins Vineyard
- 15. Visit the Elephant’s Trunk Flea Market
- 16. Go Golfing at Candlewood Valley Country Club
- 17. Explore the Lovers Leap Bridge
- 18. Attend a Concert at the Merryall Center for the Arts
- 19. Take a Yoga Class at the Prana Yoga Center
- 20. Explore the Village Center for the Arts
- 21. Visit the New Milford Farmer’s Market
- 22. Go Fishing on the Housatonic River
- 23. Explore the New Milford River Trail
- 24. Attend a Workshop at the New Milford Art Studio
- 25. Visit the New Milford Public Library
- 26. Go Horseback Riding at the Lee’s Riding Stable
- 27. Enjoy a Meal at a Local Restaurant
- 28. Attend a Festival or Event
- 29. Explore the New Milford Art Walk
- 30. Relax and Enjoy the Scenic Beauty
1. Visit Lover’s Leap State Park
Start your New Milford adventure by visiting Lover’s Leap State Park. This park offers breathtaking views of the Housatonic River and the surrounding countryside. Take a hike along the trails or have a picnic in the scenic picnic area.
2. Explore Harrybrooke Park
Harrybrooke Park is a hidden gem in New Milford. With its beautiful gardens, walking trails, and historic buildings, it’s the perfect place to spend a relaxing afternoon. Don’t forget to visit the Harden House Museum, which showcases the history of the park and the town.
Read More : Best Things to Do in East Haven, Connecticut
3. Take a Stroll on the New Milford Green
The New Milford Green is the heart of the town. Take a leisurely stroll and admire the historic buildings surrounding the green. You can also visit the farmers market on Saturdays or catch a live performance at the bandstand.
4. Visit the New Milford Historical Society and Museum
Learn about the rich history of New Milford by visiting the New Milford Historical Society and Museum. Explore the exhibits that showcase the town’s past and discover fascinating artifacts.
5. Enjoy a Day at Candlewood Lake
Candlewood Lake is the largest lake in Connecticut and offers numerous recreational activities. Rent a boat, go fishing, or simply relax on the sandy beaches. It’s the perfect place to spend a summer day.
6. Explore the Weantinoge Heritage Land Trust
The Weantinoge Heritage Land Trust is dedicated to preserving the natural beauty of New Milford. Explore the various hiking trails and enjoy the peacefulness of nature.
7. Visit the Merwinsville Hotel
The Merwinsville Hotel is a historic landmark in New Milford. Take a guided tour and learn about its fascinating history. Don’t miss the annual arts and crafts fair held on the hotel grounds.
8. Discover the Silo at Hunt Hill Farm
The Silo at Hunt Hill Farm is a unique cultural center that offers art classes, culinary workshops, and live performances. Explore the art gallery and indulge in delicious farm-to-table cuisine at the Silo Cooking School.
9. Go Antique Shopping
New Milford is known for its antique shops. Spend a day browsing through the various stores and discover hidden treasures.
10. Attend a Play at the TheatreWorks
TheatreWorks is a community theater that showcases a variety of performances throughout the year. Catch a play or a musical and support local talent.
11. Take a Ride on the Housatonic Railroad
Experience the beauty of New Milford from a different perspective by taking a ride on the Housatonic Railroad. Enjoy the scenic views as the train winds its way through the countryside.
12. Visit the Housatonic Valley Museum
Learn about the history and culture of the Housatonic Valley by visiting the Housatonic Valley Museum. The museum features exhibits on local industries, Native American history, and more.
13. Explore the Pratt Nature Center
The Pratt Nature Center is a nature preserve that offers a variety of outdoor activities. Take a hike, go bird-watching, or participate in one of their educational programs.
14. Enjoy Wine Tasting at the Hopkins Vineyard
The Hopkins Vineyard is a family-owned winery that offers wine tastings and tours. Sample their award-winning wines while enjoying the beautiful views of Lake Waramaug.
15. Visit the Elephant’s Trunk Flea Market
If you’re a bargain hunter, don’t miss the Elephant’s Trunk Flea Market. Browse through the stalls and discover unique treasures.
16. Go Golfing at Candlewood Valley Country Club
Candlewood Valley Country Club is a premier golf course in New Milford. Enjoy a round of golf surrounded by the scenic beauty of the countryside.
17. Explore the Lovers Leap Bridge
The Lovers Leap Bridge is an iconic landmark in New Milford. Take a walk across the bridge and enjoy the panoramic views of the Housatonic River.
18. Attend a Concert at the Merryall Center for the Arts
The Merryall Center for the Arts is a historic venue that hosts concerts, plays, and other cultural events. Check their schedule and catch a performance during your visit.
19. Take a Yoga Class at the Prana Yoga Center
Unwind and relax at the Prana Yoga Center. Attend a yoga class and rejuvenate your mind, body, and soul.
20. Explore the Village Center for the Arts
The Village Center for the Arts is a community art center that offers art classes and workshops for all ages. Get creative and unleash your artistic side.
21. Visit the New Milford Farmer’s Market
Support local farmers and artisans by visiting the New Milford Farmer’s Market. Stock up on fresh produce, baked goods, and handmade crafts.
22. Go Fishing on the Housatonic River
The Housatonic River is known for its excellent fishing opportunities. Grab your fishing gear and spend a day casting your line.
23. Explore the New Milford River Trail
The New Milford River Trail is a scenic walking trail that follows the Housatonic River. Enjoy a leisurely walk and take in the beauty of the river.
24. Attend a Workshop at the New Milford Art Studio
The New Milford Art Studio offers a variety of art classes and workshops for all skill levels. Learn a new technique or improve your artistic abilities.
25. Visit the New Milford Public Library
The New Milford Public Library is a great place to relax and read a book. Explore their extensive collection or attend one of their events or workshops.
26. Go Horseback Riding at the Lee’s Riding Stable
Experience the beauty of New Milford on horseback. Take a guided trail ride through the scenic countryside with Lee’s Riding Stable.
27. Enjoy a Meal at a Local Restaurant
New Milford is home to a variety of restaurants offering delicious cuisine. From Italian to Mexican, you’ll find something to satisfy your taste buds.
28. Attend a Festival or Event
New Milford hosts numerous festivals and events throughout the year. Check the event calendar and see if there’s something happening during your visit.
29. Explore the New Milford Art Walk
The New Milford Art Walk is a self-guided tour of the town’s art galleries and studios. Discover local artists and their works of art.
30. Relax and Enjoy the Scenic Beauty
Lastly, don’t forget to take some time to relax and enjoy the scenic beauty of New Milford. Whether it’s sitting by the river or taking a leisurely drive through the countryside, embrace the tranquility of this charming town.
Read More : Best Things to Do in East Hartford
New Milford, CT, offers a wide range of activities and attractions for visitors of all ages. Whether you’re interested in nature, history, art, or simply enjoying the beauty of the town, there’s something for everyone. So, plan your trip to New Milford and explore all the amazing things this town has to offer!