Mansfield, Connecticut, is a charming town located in Tolland County. With its rich history and beautiful natural surroundings, Mansfield offers a wide range of activities and attractions for visitors of all ages. Whether you’re a history buff, an outdoor enthusiast, or a food lover, there’s something for everyone in Mansfield. In this article, we’ll explore the 30 best things to do in Mansfield, CT, to help you plan your next visit.
- 1. Visit the University of Connecticut
- 2. Explore the Mansfield Hollow State Park
- 3. Discover the Ballard Institute and Museum of Puppetry
- 4. Take a Historic Walking Tour
- 5. Enjoy a Concert at the Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts
- 6. Go Shopping at the Storrs Center
- 7. Attend a Festival or Event
- 8. Visit the Mansfield Drive-In Theatre
- 9. Explore the Mansfield Community Center
- 10. Go Hiking at the Nipmuck State Forest
- 11. Visit the Mansfield Public Library
- 12. Play a Round of Golf at the University of Connecticut Golf Course
- 13. Explore the Spring Hill Historic District
- 14. Visit the Mansfield Hollow Dam
- 15. Go Ice Skating at the Freitas Ice Forum
- 16. Sample Local Wines at the Taylor Brooke Winery
- 17. Explore the Mansfield Hollow Wildlife Management Area
- 18. Go Bowling at the Lucky Strike Lanes
- 19. Visit the Mansfield General Store
- 20. Go Fishing at Eagleville Lake
- 21. Explore the Mansfield Hollow Village
- 22. Attend a Sporting Event at the University of Connecticut
- 23. Go Horseback Riding at the Mansfield Hollow Equestrian Center
- 24. Visit the Mansfield Historical Society Museum
- 25. Go Birdwatching at the Bicentennial Pond
- 26. Take a Yoga Class at a Local Studio
- 27. Enjoy a Meal at a Local Restaurant
- 28. Attend a Concert at the Jorgensen Auditorium
- 29. Go Camping at the Mansfield Hollow Campground
- 30. Take a Day Trip to Nearby Attractions
1. Visit the University of Connecticut
One of the main highlights of Mansfield is the University of Connecticut, known for its beautiful campus and top-notch educational programs. Take a stroll through the campus and admire the stunning architecture, or catch a basketball game at the Gampel Pavilion.
2. Explore the Mansfield Hollow State Park
If you’re a nature lover, don’t miss the opportunity to visit the Mansfield Hollow State Park. This 2,300-acre park offers hiking trails, fishing spots, and picnic areas. It’s the perfect place to spend a day outdoors with family and friends.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Groton (CT)
3. Discover the Ballard Institute and Museum of Puppetry
The Ballard Institute and Museum of Puppetry is a unique attraction in Mansfield. It houses a vast collection of puppets from around the world and offers interactive exhibits and performances. It’s a must-visit for both children and adults.
4. Take a Historic Walking Tour
Mansfield is steeped in history, and taking a historic walking tour is a great way to learn about its past. Visit the Mansfield Historical Society and explore the town’s historic buildings and landmarks.
5. Enjoy a Concert at the Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts
The Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts is a premier venue for concerts, dance performances, and theater productions. Check their schedule and catch a show during your visit to Mansfield.
6. Go Shopping at the Storrs Center
Located near the University of Connecticut, the Storrs Center is a vibrant shopping and dining destination. Browse the boutique stores, grab a bite to eat at one of the restaurants, or simply enjoy the lively atmosphere.
7. Attend a Festival or Event
Mansfield hosts various festivals and events throughout the year. From the Celebrate Mansfield Festival to the Winter Welcome, there’s always something happening in town. Check the events calendar and join in the fun.
8. Visit the Mansfield Drive-In Theatre
Experience a blast from the past at the Mansfield Drive-In Theatre. Watch a double feature from the comfort of your car and enjoy the nostalgic ambiance of a drive-in movie.
9. Explore the Mansfield Community Center
The Mansfield Community Center offers a wide range of recreational activities for all ages. From swimming and fitness classes to art workshops and sports programs, there’s something for everyone to enjoy.
10. Go Hiking at the Nipmuck State Forest
The Nipmuck State Forest is a paradise for outdoor enthusiasts. Lace up your hiking boots and explore the miles of scenic trails that wind through the forest. Don’t forget to pack a picnic lunch to enjoy along the way.
11. Visit the Mansfield Public Library
If you’re a book lover, make sure to stop by the Mansfield Public Library. Browse their extensive collection, attend a book club meeting, or simply find a cozy nook to curl up with a good book.
12. Play a Round of Golf at the University of Connecticut Golf Course
Golf enthusiasts will appreciate the University of Connecticut Golf Course. This 18-hole championship course offers a challenging and scenic golfing experience.
13. Explore the Spring Hill Historic District
The Spring Hill Historic District is home to some of Mansfield’s most beautiful historic homes. Take a leisurely stroll through the neighborhood and admire the architectural gems.
14. Visit the Mansfield Hollow Dam
The Mansfield Hollow Dam is a picturesque spot for fishing, boating, and picnicking. Enjoy the serene surroundings and take in the beauty of the dam and reservoir.
15. Go Ice Skating at the Freitas Ice Forum
During the winter months, head to the Freitas Ice Forum for some ice skating fun. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced skater, you’ll have a great time on the ice.
16. Sample Local Wines at the Taylor Brooke Winery
Wine lovers shouldn’t miss the opportunity to visit the Taylor Brooke Winery. Take a tour of the vineyard, learn about the winemaking process, and sample their award-winning wines.
17. Explore the Mansfield Hollow Wildlife Management Area
The Mansfield Hollow Wildlife Management Area is a haven for birdwatchers and nature photographers. Bring your binoculars and camera and see how many different species you can spot.
18. Go Bowling at the Lucky Strike Lanes
If you’re looking for some indoor fun, head to the Lucky Strike Lanes for a game of bowling. Challenge your friends or family to a friendly competition and enjoy some delicious snacks.
19. Visit the Mansfield General Store
Step back in time at the Mansfield General Store. This historic store offers a unique shopping experience, with its old-fashioned charm and a wide selection of goods.
20. Go Fishing at Eagleville Lake
Eagleville Lake is a popular spot for fishing in Mansfield. Pack your fishing gear and spend a relaxing day by the lake, trying to catch some bass or trout.
21. Explore the Mansfield Hollow Village
The Mansfield Hollow Village is a living history museum that showcases life in the 19th century. Take a guided tour and learn about the daily life of the villagers.
22. Attend a Sporting Event at the University of Connecticut
If you’re a sports fan, catch a game at the University of Connecticut. From basketball and soccer to football and baseball, there’s always a game happening on campus.
23. Go Horseback Riding at the Mansfield Hollow Equestrian Center
The Mansfield Hollow Equestrian Center offers horseback riding lessons and trail rides for all skill levels. Enjoy the beautiful countryside scenery as you explore the trails on horseback.
24. Visit the Mansfield Historical Society Museum
The Mansfield Historical Society Museum is a treasure trove of artifacts and exhibits that tell the story of Mansfield’s past. Learn about the town’s agricultural heritage and its role in the industrial revolution.
25. Go Birdwatching at the Bicentennial Pond
The Bicentennial Pond is a great spot for birdwatching in Mansfield. Grab your binoculars and see if you can spot some colorful migratory birds.
26. Take a Yoga Class at a Local Studio
If you’re in need of some relaxation and rejuvenation, sign up for a yoga class at one of the local studios in Mansfield. Stretch, breathe, and find your inner zen.
27. Enjoy a Meal at a Local Restaurant
Mansfield is home to a variety of restaurants that cater to every taste and budget. From cozy cafes to upscale dining establishments, there’s something to satisfy every craving.
28. Attend a Concert at the Jorgensen Auditorium
The Jorgensen Auditorium is another great venue for live music performances. Check their schedule and catch a concert by a renowned artist or a local band.
29. Go Camping at the Mansfield Hollow Campground
If you’re an outdoor enthusiast, spend a night under the stars at the Mansfield Hollow Campground. Pitch a tent, roast marshmallows over a campfire, and enjoy the tranquility of nature.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Trumbull Connecticut
30. Take a Day Trip to Nearby Attractions
While Mansfield has plenty to offer, it’s also a great base for exploring the surrounding area. Take a day trip to nearby attractions like the Mark Twain House in Hartford or the Mystic Seaport in Mystic.
With its rich history, natural beauty, and diverse range of activities, Mansfield, Connecticut, is a hidden gem waiting to be discovered. Whether you’re a local resident or a visitor from out of town, there’s no shortage of things to do and see in this charming town. So pack your bags, grab your camera, and get ready to explore Mansfield and create unforgettable memories.