Fez, the cultural and spiritual capital of Morocco, is a city that offers a unique blend of history, architecture, and vibrant culture. With its narrow winding streets, bustling markets, and stunning landmarks, Fez is a destination that should be on every traveler’s bucket list.
Fez’s UNESCO-listed Medina offers a holistic experience, with vibrant tannery pits, the sound of workers crafting copperware, and an array of aromas that will lead you in the right direction more accurately than any map.
The intricate calligraphy, tilework, and stucco that cover the palaces, mosques, madrasas, and shrines around the city of Fez are as entwined as the city’s alleyways.
Here are the 30 best things to do in Fez:
- 1. Visit the Medina of Fez
- 2. Explore the Chouara Tannery
- 3. Visit the Al-Attarine Madrasa
- 4. Discover the Bou Inania Madrasa
- 5. Take a walk along the Mellah
- 6. Visit the Royal Palace
- 7. Explore the Dar Batha Museum
- 8. Wander through the Jardin Jnan Sbil
- 9. Visit the Bab Bou Jeloud
- 10. Explore the Nejjarine Museum of Wood Arts and Crafts
- 11. Visit the University of Al Quaraouiyine
- 12. Shop at the Souk Al-Henna
- 13. Visit the Dar el-Makhzen
- 14. Explore the Andalusian Quarter
- 15. Visit the Al-Qarawiyyin Mosque
- 16. Discover the Medersa Bou Inania
- 17. Take a cooking class
- 18. Explore the Borj Nord
- 19. Visit the Dar Mnebhi Palace
- 20. Take a guided tour of the city
- 21. Enjoy a traditional Moroccan hammam
- 22. Visit the Al-Andalus Mosque
- 23. Explore the Dar Tazi Gardens
- 24. Discover the Attarine Medersa
- 25. Visit the Zaouia Moulay Idriss II
- 26. Take a day trip to Meknes
- 27. Explore the Jnan Sbil Gardens
- 28. Visit the Dar Al-Magana
- 29. Explore the Mellah Market
- 30. Take a hot air balloon ride
1. Visit the Medina of Fez
The Medina of Fez is a UNESCO World Heritage site and is the oldest walled city in the world. It is a maze of narrow streets filled with shops, mosques, and bustling markets. Take a stroll through the Medina and immerse yourself in the vibrant atmosphere.
2. Explore the Chouara Tannery
The Chouara Tannery is one of the oldest tanneries in the world and is a must-visit attraction in Fez. Watch the traditional tanning process and marvel at the colorful vats of dye.
3. Visit the Al-Attarine Madrasa
The Al-Attarine Madrasa is a beautiful Islamic school dating back to the 14th century. Admire the intricate tilework and architecture.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Hasselt
4. Discover the Bou Inania Madrasa
The Bou Inania Madrasa is another stunning Islamic school in Fez. Explore the courtyard and admire the detailed carvings and mosaics.
5. Take a walk along the Mellah
The Mellah is the old Jewish quarter of Fez. Explore the narrow streets and visit the Jewish cemetery and synagogue.
6. Visit the Royal Palace
The Royal Palace is a grand complex that showcases Moroccan architecture. Although you can’t enter the palace, you can admire the beautiful gates and walls.
7. Explore the Dar Batha Museum
The Dar Batha Museum houses a collection of Moroccan arts and crafts. Admire the traditional ceramics, woodwork, and textiles.
8. Wander through the Jardin Jnan Sbil
The Jardin Jnan Sbil is a peaceful garden oasis in the heart of Fez. Take a leisurely stroll and relax in the shade of the trees.
9. Visit the Bab Bou Jeloud
The Bab Bou Jeloud is one of the main gates to the Medina of Fez. Admire the intricate tilework and enter the bustling streets of the Medina.
10. Explore the Nejjarine Museum of Wood Arts and Crafts
The Nejjarine Museum of Wood Arts and Crafts is housed in a beautifully restored caravanserai. Discover the traditional woodworking techniques of Morocco.
11. Visit the University of Al Quaraouiyine
The University of Al Quaraouiyine is one of the oldest universities in the world. Marvel at the stunning architecture and explore the library.
12. Shop at the Souk Al-Henna
The Souk Al-Henna is a vibrant market where you can buy traditional henna products. Get a henna tattoo or purchase henna powder.
13. Visit the Dar el-Makhzen
The Dar el-Makhzen is the former royal palace of Fez and is now a museum. Explore the beautiful rooms and learn about the history of Morocco.
14. Explore the Andalusian Quarter
The Andalusian Quarter is a charming neighborhood with narrow streets and beautiful houses. Take a walk and admire the architecture.
15. Visit the Al-Qarawiyyin Mosque
The Al-Qarawiyyin Mosque is one of the oldest mosques in the world. Admire the stunning architecture and intricate details.
16. Discover the Medersa Bou Inania
The Medersa Bou Inania is a beautiful Islamic school with stunning architecture. Admire the intricate tilework and carvings.
17. Take a cooking class
Learn how to cook traditional Moroccan dishes with a cooking class in Fez. Visit the local markets to buy fresh ingredients and then learn how to prepare a delicious meal.
18. Explore the Borj Nord
The Borj Nord is a fortress that offers panoramic views of Fez. Climb to the top and enjoy the breathtaking scenery.
19. Visit the Dar Mnebhi Palace
The Dar Mnebhi Palace is a beautifully restored palace that now houses the Museum of Moroccan Arts. Admire the stunning architecture and art collection.
20. Take a guided tour of the city
Explore Fez with a knowledgeable guide who can show you the hidden gems and share the history and culture of the city.
21. Enjoy a traditional Moroccan hammam
Relax and rejuvenate with a traditional Moroccan hammam experience. Indulge in a steam bath, scrub, and massage.
22. Visit the Al-Andalus Mosque
The Al-Andalus Mosque is a beautiful mosque with stunning architecture. Take a moment to admire the intricate details.
23. Explore the Dar Tazi Gardens
The Dar Tazi Gardens are a peaceful retreat in the heart of Fez. Take a break from the bustling streets and relax in the tranquil surroundings.
24. Discover the Attarine Medersa
The Attarine Medersa is a beautiful Islamic school with intricate tilework and carvings. Explore the courtyard and admire the stunning architecture.
25. Visit the Zaouia Moulay Idriss II
The Zaouia Moulay Idriss II is a mausoleum dedicated to the founder of Fez. Admire the beautiful architecture and pay your respects.
26. Take a day trip to Meknes
Meknes is a nearby city that is worth a visit. Explore the historic medina and visit the stunning Bab Mansour gate.
27. Explore the Jnan Sbil Gardens
The Jnan Sbil Gardens are a beautiful green space in Fez. Take a picnic and enjoy the peaceful surroundings.
28. Visit the Dar Al-Magana
The Dar Al-Magana is a historic clock tower in Fez. Admire the intricate design and learn about its significance.
29. Explore the Mellah Market
The Mellah Market is a bustling market where you can buy fresh produce, spices, and traditional Moroccan goods.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Neptune Beach
30. Take a hot air balloon ride
Experience Fez from a different perspective with a hot air balloon ride. Enjoy breathtaking views of the city and surrounding landscapes.
Fez is a city that offers a wealth of experiences for every traveler. Whether you’re exploring the historic medina, admiring the stunning architecture, or immersing yourself in the vibrant culture, Fez is sure to leave a lasting impression.