Essaouira, a charming coastal city in Morocco, offers a unique blend of history, culture, and natural beauty. From its picturesque beaches to its vibrant medina, there are plenty of things to see and do in this enchanting destination. Whether you’re a history buff, a food lover, or an adventure seeker, Essaouira has something for everyone. Best Things to Do in Essaouira (Morocco)
- 1. Explore the Medina
- 2. Visit the Skala du Port
- 3. Relax on Essaouira Beach
- 4. Take a Camel Ride
- 5. Try Windsurfing or Kitesurfing
- 6. Visit the Essaouira Museum
- 7. Explore the Essaouira Ramparts
- 8. Indulge in Moroccan Cuisine
- 9. Visit the Sidi Mohammed Ben Abdallah Museum
- 10. Take a Boat Trip to Mogador Island
- 11. Attend the Gnaoua World Music Festival
- 12. Shop for Argan Oil Products
- 13. Explore the Jewish Quarter
- 14. Take a Horseback Ride on the Beach
- 15. Watch the Sunset at the Scalaire d’Essaouira
- 16. Visit the Essaouira Synagogue
- 17. Take a Cooking Class
- 18. Attend the Essaouira Alizes Kiteboarding World Cup
- 19. Visit the Moulay Hassan Square
- 20. Explore the Essaouira Fishing Port
- 21. Take a Quad Biking Adventure
- 22. Discover the Essaouira Mogador Golf Course
- 23. Visit the Dar Souiri Arts and Culture Center
- 24. Take a Day Trip to the Atlas Mountains
- 25. Relax at a Hammam
- 26. Visit the Essaouira Mogador Golf Academy
- 27. Explore the Diabat Village
- 28. Attend the Andalusian Music Festival
- 29. Take a Horseback Ride in the Countryside
- 30. Visit the Essaouira Outdoor Market
1. Explore the Medina
Start your journey by exploring the medina, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Wander through its narrow streets, admire the traditional architecture, and browse the local shops for handmade crafts and souvenirs.
2. Visit the Skala du Port
Make your way to the Skala du Port, a historic fortification that offers stunning views of the harbor and the Atlantic Ocean. Take a leisurely stroll along the ramparts and soak in the breathtaking scenery.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Merzouga (Morocco)
3. Relax on Essaouira Beach
Spend a day relaxing on Essaouira Beach, known for its golden sands and calm waters. Whether you want to sunbathe, swim, or try your hand at water sports, this beach is the perfect spot to unwind.
4. Take a Camel Ride
Experience the beauty of Essaouira’s coastline on a camel ride. Let the gentle sway of the camel’s gait transport you along the beach, offering panoramic views of the sea and the city.
5. Try Windsurfing or Kitesurfing
With its strong winds and favorable conditions, Essaouira is a paradise for windsurfing and kitesurfing enthusiasts. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced rider, there are plenty of schools and rental shops where you can learn or rent equipment.
6. Visit the Essaouira Museum
Discover the rich history and culture of Essaouira at the Essaouira Museum. Explore its diverse collection of artifacts, including traditional costumes, musical instruments, and ancient manuscripts.
7. Explore the Essaouira Ramparts
Take a walk along the Essaouira Ramparts, which offer panoramic views of the city and the surrounding landscape. Marvel at the well-preserved fortifications and imagine the city’s past as a strategic trading port.
8. Indulge in Moroccan Cuisine
Essaouira is known for its delicious Moroccan cuisine, influenced by Berber, Arab, and French flavors. Savor traditional dishes like tagine, couscous, and pastilla at one of the many local restaurants or street food stalls.
9. Visit the Sidi Mohammed Ben Abdallah Museum
Immerse yourself in the art and history of Essaouira at the Sidi Mohammed Ben Abdallah Museum. Admire the impressive collection of Moroccan art, including paintings, sculptures, and ceramics.
10. Take a Boat Trip to Mogador Island
Embark on a boat trip to Mogador Island, located just off the coast of Essaouira. Explore the island’s natural beauty, spot wildlife such as seagulls and cormorants, and visit the historic ruins of a Portuguese fortress.
11. Attend the Gnaoua World Music Festival
If you’re visiting Essaouira in June, don’t miss the annual Gnaoua World Music Festival. Experience the vibrant atmosphere as musicians from around the world gather to celebrate the rich heritage of Gnaoua music.
12. Shop for Argan Oil Products
Essaouira is famous for its argan oil, known for its cosmetic and culinary uses. Visit a local cooperative to learn about the production process and shop for high-quality argan oil products.
13. Explore the Jewish Quarter
Discover the history of Essaouira’s Jewish community by exploring the Jewish Quarter. Visit the historic synagogues, stroll through the charming streets, and learn about the community’s contributions to the city.
14. Take a Horseback Ride on the Beach
Experience the beauty of Essaouira’s coastline on a horseback ride. Enjoy the feeling of freedom as you gallop along the sandy shores and take in the breathtaking views.
15. Watch the Sunset at the Scalaire d’Essaouira
Head to the Scalaire d’Essaouira, a viewpoint overlooking the city, to watch the sunset. Marvel at the vibrant colors as the sun dips below the horizon, casting a golden glow over the medina.
16. Visit the Essaouira Synagogue
Explore the historic Essaouira Synagogue, one of the few remaining synagogues in Morocco. Admire the intricate architecture and learn about the history of the Jewish community in Essaouira.
17. Take a Cooking Class
Learn the secrets of Moroccan cuisine by taking a cooking class in Essaouira. Discover the flavors and techniques behind traditional dishes and enjoy a delicious meal that you’ve prepared yourself.
18. Attend the Essaouira Alizes Kiteboarding World Cup
If you’re a fan of kiteboarding, don’t miss the Essaouira Alizes Kiteboarding World Cup. Watch as professional kiteboarders showcase their skills and compete in this thrilling event.
19. Visit the Moulay Hassan Square
Take a stroll through the Moulay Hassan Square, located in the heart of Essaouira. Admire the beautiful architecture, relax in one of the cafes, and soak up the lively atmosphere.
20. Explore the Essaouira Fishing Port
Visit the Essaouira Fishing Port and witness the bustling activity as fishermen bring in their daily catch. Sample fresh seafood at one of the local restaurants or buy some to cook yourself.
21. Take a Quad Biking Adventure
Embark on a thrilling quad biking adventure and explore the rugged terrain surrounding Essaouira. Feel the adrenaline rush as you navigate through sand dunes, forests, and rocky trails.
22. Discover the Essaouira Mogador Golf Course
If you’re a golf enthusiast, don’t miss the opportunity to play a round at the Essaouira Mogador Golf Course. Enjoy the stunning views of the ocean as you test your skills on this challenging course.
23. Visit the Dar Souiri Arts and Culture Center
Immerse yourself in the arts and culture of Essaouira at the Dar Souiri Arts and Culture Center. Attend a concert, exhibition, or workshop and experience the vibrant creative scene of the city.
24. Take a Day Trip to the Atlas Mountains
Escape the hustle and bustle of the city by taking a day trip to the nearby Atlas Mountains. Explore the scenic landscapes, visit traditional Berber villages, and enjoy a refreshing hike.
25. Relax at a Hammam
Indulge in a traditional Moroccan hammam experience and unwind in a steamy bathhouse. Enjoy a rejuvenating massage, exfoliating scrub, and a soothing soak in warm water.
26. Visit the Essaouira Mogador Golf Academy
If you’re looking to improve your golf skills, visit the Essaouira Mogador Golf Academy. Take lessons from professional instructors and practice your swing on the state-of-the-art facilities.
27. Explore the Diabat Village
Take a trip to the nearby Diabat Village and explore its charming streets and traditional Berber houses. Visit the tomb of Jimi Hendrix, who famously stayed in the village in the 1960s.
28. Attend the Andalusian Music Festival
If you’re visiting Essaouira in October, don’t miss the Andalusian Music Festival. Experience the enchanting sounds of traditional Andalusian music as musicians from Morocco and around the world perform.
29. Take a Horseback Ride in the Countryside
Escape the city and explore the beautiful countryside surrounding Essaouira on a horseback ride. Enjoy the tranquility as you ride through olive groves, vineyards, and rolling hills.
30. Visit the Essaouira Outdoor Market
Immerse yourself in the vibrant atmosphere of the Essaouira Outdoor Market. Browse the stalls selling fresh produce, spices, textiles, and handicrafts, and practice your bargaining skills.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Tangier (Morocco)
With its rich history, stunning beaches, and vibrant culture, Essaouira offers a wide range of activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy. Whether you’re interested in history, outdoor adventures, or simply relaxing on the beach, this charming Moroccan city has something for everyone. So pack your bags and get ready to experience the best that Essaouira has to offer.