When it comes to traveling in Italy, most people flock to the famous cities like Rome, Florence, and Venice. But if you’re looking for a lesser-known destination that is full of charm and surprises, then Terni is the place to be. Nestled in the heart of Umbria, this hidden gem has a lot to offer. So, without further ado, here are the 30 best things to do in Terni:
- Best Things to Do in Terni (Italy)
- 1. Marvel at the Cascata delle Marmore
- 2. Explore the Underground City of Narni Sotterranea
- 3. Visit the Basilica of San Valentino
- 4. Take a Stroll in the Historic Center
- 5. Explore the Marmore Archaeological Park
- 6. Indulge in Umbrian Cuisine
- 7. Take a Dip in Lake Piediluco
- 8. Discover the Secrets of Carsulae
- 9. Get Lost in the Gardens of Villa Gregoriana
- 10. Attend the Terni Summer Festival
- 11. Visit the Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art
- 12. Take a Day Trip to Orvieto
- 13. Explore the Caves of Nera River Park
- 14. Take a Wine Tour in Montefalco
- 15. Admire the Romanesque Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta
- 16. Go Hiking in the Valnerina
- 17. Discover the Ruins of the Roman Amphitheater
- 18. Take a Cooking Class
- 19. Visit the Church of San Francesco
- 20. Explore the Etruscan Necropolis of Scoppieto
- 21. Take a Bike Ride along the Nera River
- 22. Attend the Terni Jazz Festival
- 23. Visit the Church of San Salvatore
- 24. Explore the Ruins of Carsulae
- 25. Take a Boat Ride on Lake Piediluco
- 26. Visit the Museum of the Mummies
- 27. Take a Day Trip to Spoleto
- 28. Relax in the Thermal Baths of San Gemini
- 29. Attend the Terni Film Festival
- 30. Enjoy the Sunset at the Belvedere di Collestatte
Best Things to Do in Terni (Italy)
1. Marvel at the Cascata delle Marmore
Starting off the list with a bang, the Cascata delle Marmore is a breathtaking waterfall that will leave you in awe. With a height of 165 meters, it is one of the tallest man-made waterfalls in the world. Take a boat ride or hike up to the viewing points for an unforgettable experience.
2. Explore the Underground City of Narni Sotterranea
Did you know that Terni was the inspiration behind C.S. Lewis’ famous Chronicles of Narnia? Discover the ancient underground city of Narni Sotterranea and feel like you’ve stepped into a fantasy world. Explore the labyrinth of tunnels, caves, and hidden chambers that date back to Roman times.
3. Visit the Basilica of San Valentino
Terni is known as the city of love because it is the birthplace of Saint Valentine. Pay a visit to the Basilica of San Valentino, dedicated to the patron saint of lovers. Admire the stunning architecture and learn about the fascinating history of this iconic figure.
4. Take a Stroll in the Historic Center
Immerse yourself in the charm of Terni by taking a leisurely stroll in the historic center. Admire the medieval architecture, wander through the narrow cobblestone streets, and soak up the vibrant atmosphere. Don’t forget to stop by the Piazza Tacito, the main square, and enjoy a coffee at one of the local cafes.
5. Explore the Marmore Archaeological Park
Step back in time at the Marmore Archaeological Park, where you can explore the ruins of a Roman town. Marvel at the amphitheater, thermal baths, and ancient villas. The park also offers stunning views of the surrounding countryside, making it a perfect spot for a picnic.
6. Indulge in Umbrian Cuisine
No trip to Terni is complete without indulging in the delicious Umbrian cuisine. Try local specialties like truffles, porchetta, and wild boar. Pair your meal with a glass of Sagrantino, a rich and full-bodied red wine that is unique to the region.
7. Take a Dip in Lake Piediluco
Escape the city heat and head to Lake Piediluco for a refreshing swim. Surrounded by lush greenery, this picturesque lake is perfect for a day of relaxation. You can also rent a kayak or paddleboard and explore the crystal-clear waters.
8. Discover the Secrets of Carsulae
Uncover the secrets of the ancient Roman town of Carsulae. Explore the well-preserved ruins, including the amphitheater, forum, and thermal baths. Don’t forget to visit the archaeological museum to learn more about the history of this fascinating site.
9. Get Lost in the Gardens of Villa Gregoriana
Escape the hustle and bustle of the city and get lost in the enchanting gardens of Villa Gregoriana. Located in the nearby town of Tivoli, these lush gardens are a UNESCO World Heritage site. Explore the winding paths, grottoes, and waterfalls for a truly magical experience.
10. Attend the Terni Summer Festival
If you’re visiting Terni in the summer, don’t miss the Terni Summer Festival. This annual event features live music, theater performances, and art exhibitions. It’s a great way to immerse yourself in the local culture and have a memorable night out.
11. Visit the Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art
Art enthusiasts will love the Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art in Terni. Explore the impressive collection of paintings, sculptures, and installations by both Italian and international artists. The museum also hosts temporary exhibitions, so there’s always something new to see.
12. Take a Day Trip to Orvieto
While you’re in Terni, why not take a day trip to the nearby town of Orvieto? Known for its stunning cathedral and underground caves, Orvieto is a must-visit destination. Climb to the top of the cathedral for panoramic views of the countryside.
13. Explore the Caves of Nera River Park
For adventure seekers, the Caves of Nera River Park is a must-visit. Explore the underground caves, stalactites, and stalagmites, and marvel at the natural beauty of this hidden gem. Guided tours are available for those who want to learn more about the geology of the area.
14. Take a Wine Tour in Montefalco
Wine lovers will be in heaven in Montefalco, a town famous for its wine production. Take a wine tour and visit local wineries to taste the famous Sagrantino wine. Don’t forget to pair it with some delicious local cheeses and cured meats.
15. Admire the Romanesque Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta
Step inside the Romanesque Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta and be amazed by its beauty. Admire the intricate frescoes, stunning stained glass windows, and the impressive bell tower. Take a moment to soak in the peaceful atmosphere of this sacred place.
16. Go Hiking in the Valnerina
Put on your hiking boots and explore the breathtaking landscapes of the Valnerina. This picturesque valley is known for its lush forests, crystal-clear rivers, and charming hilltop villages. Don’t forget to pack a picnic and enjoy the stunning views along the way.
17. Discover the Ruins of the Roman Amphitheater
History buffs will love exploring the ruins of the Roman Amphitheater in Terni. Although only a small part of it remains, you can still get a sense of its grandeur. Imagine the gladiators battling it out in front of a cheering crowd as you walk through the ancient ruins.
18. Take a Cooking Class
Learn the secrets of Umbrian cuisine by taking a cooking class in Terni. Join a local chef and learn how to make traditional dishes like pasta, risotto, and tiramisu. And of course, the best part is getting to eat your delicious creations at the end of the class.
19. Visit the Church of San Francesco
Pay a visit to the Church of San Francesco and admire its stunning architecture and beautiful frescoes. The church is also home to the tomb of Saint Valentine, making it a pilgrimage site for many. Take a moment to reflect and soak in the spiritual atmosphere.
20. Explore the Etruscan Necropolis of Scoppieto
Step back in time and explore the Etruscan Necropolis of Scoppieto. Wander through the ancient tombs and learn about the fascinating Etruscan civilization. The site offers panoramic views of the surrounding countryside, making it a perfect spot for photography enthusiasts.
21. Take a Bike Ride along the Nera River
Enjoy the scenic beauty of Terni by taking a bike ride along the Nera River. Follow the cycling path that runs alongside the river and take in the stunning views of the countryside. You can also stop at one of the many picnic spots along the way for a leisurely break.
22. Attend the Terni Jazz Festival
If you’re a jazz lover, don’t miss the Terni Jazz Festival. This annual event brings together some of the best jazz musicians from around the world. Sit back, relax, and let the smooth sounds of jazz transport you to another world.
23. Visit the Church of San Salvatore
Visit the Church of San Salvatore and admire its beautiful frescoes and intricate decorations. Take a moment to appreciate the craftsmanship and the religious significance of this historic place. The church also offers panoramic views of the city, so don’t forget to bring your camera.
24. Explore the Ruins of Carsulae
Discover the ancient ruins of Carsulae, an important Roman town along the Via Flaminia. Explore the well-preserved theater, forum, and thermal baths. The site also offers a museum where you can learn about the history of this fascinating archaeological site.
25. Take a Boat Ride on Lake Piediluco
Experience the beauty of Lake Piediluco by taking a boat ride. Rent a rowboat or take a guided tour to explore the lake and its surroundings. Don’t forget to bring your camera to capture the stunning views of the lake and the surrounding mountains.
26. Visit the Museum of the Mummies
For a slightly eerie experience, visit the Museum of the Mummies in Ferentillo. This unique museum houses a collection of mummies that were found in the nearby catacombs. Learn about the mummification process and the history behind these fascinating relics.
27. Take a Day Trip to Spoleto
While you’re in Terni, why not take a day trip to the charming town of Spoleto? Explore the medieval streets, visit the impressive fortress, and take in the stunning views from the Ponte delle Torri. Don’t forget to try some local delicacies, like the famous black truffles.
28. Relax in the Thermal Baths of San Gemini
Indulge in some relaxation at the thermal baths of San Gemini. Soak in the warm, mineral-rich waters and let your worries melt away. The town of San Gemini is also worth exploring, with its charming streets and historic buildings.
29. Attend the Terni Film Festival
If you’re a film enthusiast, don’t miss the Terni Film Festival. This annual event showcases independent films from around the world. It’s a great opportunity to discover new talent and immerse yourself in the world of cinema.
30. Enjoy the Sunset at the Belvedere di Collestatte
End your trip to Terni by enjoying the sunset at the Belvedere di Collestatte. This panoramic viewpoint offers stunning views of the city and the surrounding countryside. Pack a picnic, grab a bottle of wine, and watch as the sun paints the sky with vibrant colors.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Montemor-o-Novo (Portugal)
Terni may not be as famous as Rome or Florence, but it certainly has its own unique charm. From stunning waterfalls to ancient ruins, there is something for everyone in this hidden gem of Italy. So, pack your bags and get ready to explore the 30 best things to do in Terni. You won’t be disappointed!