Serpa, a charming town located in the Alentejo region of Portugal, is a hidden gem waiting to be discovered. With its rich history, picturesque landscapes, and warm hospitality, Serpa offers a plethora of activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy. Whether you’re a history buff, nature lover, or simply seeking a relaxing getaway, Serpa has something for everyone. In this article, we will explore the 30 best things to do in Serpa, ensuring an unforgettable experience in this enchanting destination.
- Best Things to Do in Serpa (Portugal)
- 1. Explore Serpa Castle
- 2. Wander Through the Historic Center
- 3. Visit the Museu Municipal de Serpa
- 4. Admire the Igreja de Santa Maria
- 5. Explore the Aqueduto da Amoreira
- 6. Discover the Menir da Rocha dos Namorados
- 7. Relax in the Jardim Municipal
- 8. Visit the Núcleo Museológico do Vinho
- 9. Attend a Bullfight at the Praça de Touros
- 10. Sample Local Cuisine
- 11. Explore the Natural Park of Vale do Guadiana
- 12. Take a Day Trip to Mértola
- 13. Attend a Cultural Event
- 14. Visit the Ermida de São Gens
- 15. Explore the Underground City
- 16. Attend the Feira de Todos os Santos
- 17. Go Horseback Riding
- 18. Visit the Ermida de São Pedro
- 19. Explore the Historic Walls
- 20. Attend a Traditional Fado Performance
- 21. Visit the Convento de Nossa Senhora da Conceição
- 22. Go on a Wine Tasting Tour
- 23. Attend the Festa de São João
- 24. Visit the Igreja de São Domingos
- 25. Explore the Alentejo Wine Route
- 26. Take a Boat Trip on the Alqueva Lake
- 27. Visit the Capela dos Ossos
- 28. Go Birdwatching in the Guadiana Valley Natural Park
- 29. Attend a Traditional Bullfight Festival
- 30. Enjoy a Sunset at the Alentejo Plains
Best Things to Do in Serpa (Portugal)
1. Explore Serpa Castle
Start your journey by visiting Serpa Castle, a well-preserved medieval fortress that offers breathtaking panoramic views of the town and surrounding countryside. Walk along the ancient walls and immerse yourself in the history of this fascinating landmark.
2. Wander Through the Historic Center
Take a leisurely stroll through Serpa’s historic center, where you’ll find narrow cobblestone streets, whitewashed houses, and charming squares. Discover hidden corners, traditional shops, and local cafes as you soak in the town’s authentic atmosphere.
3. Visit the Museu Municipal de Serpa
Step into the Museu Municipal de Serpa and delve into the town’s past. This museum showcases archaeological finds, religious art, and historical artifacts, providing a deeper understanding of Serpa’s cultural heritage.
4. Admire the Igreja de Santa Maria
Marvel at the beauty of the Igreja de Santa Maria, a stunning church dating back to the 15th century. Its Gothic architecture and intricate details make it a must-visit for architecture enthusiasts.
5. Explore the Aqueduto da Amoreira
Head outside the town walls to discover the Aqueduto da Amoreira, an impressive 16th-century aqueduct. Take a walk along its arches and marvel at the engineering marvel that once supplied water to Serpa.
6. Discover the Menir da Rocha dos Namorados
Embark on a short trip to the Menir da Rocha dos Namorados, a prehistoric standing stone located just outside Serpa. This ancient monument is shrouded in mystery and offers a glimpse into the region’s distant past.
7. Relax in the Jardim Municipal
Take a break from sightseeing and unwind in the Jardim Municipal, a peaceful park in the heart of Serpa. Enjoy the shade of ancient trees, wander through colorful flower beds, or have a picnic on the lush green lawns.
8. Visit the Núcleo Museológico do Vinho
Wine enthusiasts should not miss the Núcleo Museológico do Vinho, a wine museum dedicated to the region’s winemaking traditions. Learn about the production process, taste local wines, and appreciate the artistry behind this beloved beverage.
9. Attend a Bullfight at the Praça de Touros
Experience a traditional Portuguese bullfight at the Praça de Touros in Serpa. Whether you’re a fan of the sport or simply curious about local customs, this cultural event offers a unique insight into Portuguese traditions.
10. Sample Local Cuisine
Indulge in the flavors of Alentejo cuisine by dining at one of Serpa’s traditional restaurants. Savor dishes such as migas, açorda, and sericaia, accompanied by local wines. Don’t forget to try the famous Serpa cheese, a regional delicacy.
11. Explore the Natural Park of Vale do Guadiana
Embark on an outdoor adventure in the Natural Park of Vale do Guadiana, located near Serpa. Hike through scenic trails, go birdwatching, or enjoy a boat ride along the Guadiana River, immersing yourself in the region’s natural beauty.
12. Take a Day Trip to Mértola
Extend your exploration by taking a day trip to the nearby town of Mértola. Known for its rich history and archaeological sites, Mértola offers a fascinating glimpse into the region’s Islamic past. Visit the Mértola Castle and the Museu de Mértola for an enriching experience.
13. Attend a Cultural Event
Check the local calendar for cultural events happening during your visit to Serpa. From music festivals to traditional celebrations, Serpa hosts a variety of events throughout the year, providing a unique opportunity to immerse yourself in the local culture.
14. Visit the Ermida de São Gens
Discover the Ermida de São Gens, a small hermitage located on a hilltop overlooking Serpa. Enjoy the peaceful atmosphere and take in the panoramic views of the town and surrounding countryside.
15. Explore the Underground City
Descend into the underground city of Serpa, where a network of tunnels and chambers lies hidden beneath the streets. Join a guided tour to learn about the history and purpose of this intriguing subterranean world.
16. Attend the Feira de Todos os Santos
If you’re visiting Serpa in November, don’t miss the Feira de Todos os Santos, a traditional fair that has been held for centuries. Experience the vibrant atmosphere, browse through stalls selling local products, and enjoy the festive spirit.
17. Go Horseback Riding
Experience the Alentejo countryside from a different perspective by going horseback riding. Several equestrian centers near Serpa offer guided tours, allowing you to explore the region’s scenic landscapes in a unique and memorable way.
18. Visit the Ermida de São Pedro
Make your way to the Ermida de São Pedro, a charming chapel located just outside Serpa. Admire its simple yet elegant design and enjoy the tranquility of the surrounding countryside.
19. Explore the Historic Walls
Take a walk along the historic walls of Serpa and marvel at their impressive construction. Enjoy panoramic views of the town and the Alentejo plains as you follow the path along the fortifications.
20. Attend a Traditional Fado Performance
Immerse yourself in the soulful melodies of Fado, Portugal’s traditional music genre. Serpa is known for its Fado performances, providing a unique opportunity to experience this hauntingly beautiful art form.
21. Visit the Convento de Nossa Senhora da Conceição
Explore the Convento de Nossa Senhora da Conceição, a former convent that now houses the Parque Natural do Vale do Guadiana Visitor Center. Learn about the region’s flora, fauna, and conservation efforts through interactive exhibits and displays.
22. Go on a Wine Tasting Tour
Discover the region’s renowned wineries by embarking on a wine tasting tour. Visit vineyards, learn about the winemaking process, and sample a variety of Alentejo wines, gaining a deeper appreciation for the region’s viticultural heritage.
23. Attend the Festa de São João
If you’re visiting Serpa in June, join the locals in celebrating the Festa de São João, a traditional festival dedicated to Saint John. Experience the lively atmosphere, watch traditional dances, and enjoy the fireworks display.
24. Visit the Igreja de São Domingos
Pay a visit to the Igreja de São Domingos, a beautiful church known for its distinctive blue and white tiles. Admire the intricate tilework and explore the peaceful interior of this architectural gem.
25. Explore the Alentejo Wine Route
Embark on a journey along the Alentejo Wine Route, which passes through Serpa. Discover vineyards, wineries, and wine cellars, and indulge in wine tastings along the way, immersing yourself in the region’s winemaking traditions.
26. Take a Boat Trip on the Alqueva Lake
Escape the hustle and bustle of the town and take a boat trip on the Alqueva Lake, the largest artificial lake in Europe. Enjoy the serene surroundings, go fishing, or simply relax as you cruise along the tranquil waters.
27. Visit the Capela dos Ossos
Explore the Capela dos Ossos, a chapel adorned with human bones and skulls. This macabre yet intriguing site serves as a reminder of the transient nature of life and offers a unique perspective on religious art.
28. Go Birdwatching in the Guadiana Valley Natural Park
Grab your binoculars and venture into the Guadiana Valley Natural Park, a haven for birdwatching enthusiasts. Spot a variety of bird species, including flamingos, herons, and eagles, as you explore the park’s diverse ecosystems.
29. Attend a Traditional Bullfight Festival
Experience the excitement of a traditional bullfight festival, a major cultural event in Serpa and the surrounding region. Watch skilled bullfighters demonstrate their bravery and agility in the ring, while gaining insight into this centuries-old tradition.
30. Enjoy a Sunset at the Alentejo Plains
End your visit to Serpa by witnessing a breathtaking sunset over the vast Alentejo plains. Find a quiet spot, sit back, and marvel at the ever-changing colors as the sun dips below the horizon, casting a warm glow over the picturesque landscape.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Peniche (Portugal)
Serpa offers a wealth of experiences for travelers seeking an authentic taste of Portugal. From exploring historical landmarks to immersing oneself in the region’s natural beauty, Serpa has something for everyone. Whether you’re fascinated by history, a lover of nature, or simply seeking a relaxing getaway, Serpa will captivate you with its charm and allure. So pack your bags and embark on an unforgettable journey to discover the 30 best things to do in Serpa.