Salta, a charming city nestled in the heart of northwestern Argentina, offers a plethora of attractions and activities for visitors to enjoy. From its rich cultural heritage to its stunning natural landscapes, Salta has something for everyone. Whether you’re a history buff, an adventure seeker, or a food lover, this vibrant city has it all. Here are the 30 best things to do in Salta:
- 30 Best Things to Do in Salta (Argentina)
- 1. Explore the Historic Center
- 2. Visit the Museo de Arqueología de Alta Montaña
- 3. Take a Cable Car Ride to Cerro San Bernardo
- 4. Explore the San Francisco Church and Convent
- 5. Wander Through the Mercado San Miguel
- 6. Take a Day Trip to Cafayate
- 7. Visit the MAAM – Museo de Arqueología de Alta Montaña
- 8. Explore the Salinas Grandes
- 9. Discover the Quebrada de Humahuaca
- 10. Enjoy a Traditional Argentinean Asado
- 11. Take a Scenic Train Ride through the Clouds
- 12. Visit the Paseo Balcarce
- 13. Explore the Museo de Bellas Artes
- 14. Discover the Cachi Adentro
- 15. Taste Traditional Empanadas
- 16. Visit the Museo de la Vid y el Vino
- 17. Explore the Parque Nacional Los Cardones
- 18. Take a Tour of the Cabildo
- 19. Explore the Quebrada de Cafayate
- 20. Visit the Museo de Arte Contemporáneo
- 21. Take a Dip in the Termas de Rosario de la Frontera
- 22. Visit the Iglesia San Bernardo
- 23. Explore the Museo de la Ciudad
- 24. Take a Horseback Ride through the Quebrada del Toro
- 25. Visit the Museo Güemes
- 26. Take a Tour of the Salta Cathedral
- 27. Explore the Parque San Martín
- 28. Visit the Museo de Antropología de Salta
- 29. Take a Wine Tasting Tour
- 30. Enjoy the Nightlife in Salta
30 Best Things to Do in Salta (Argentina)
1. Explore the Historic Center
Start your journey by exploring the historic center of Salta. Wander through the narrow cobblestone streets lined with beautifully preserved colonial buildings. Visit the main square, Plaza 9 de Julio, and admire the impressive Salta Cathedral.
2. Visit the Museo de Arqueología de Alta Montaña
Discover the fascinating history of the Inca civilization at the Museo de Arqueología de Alta Montaña. This museum houses the famous “Children of Llullaillaco,” three Inca mummies found on a nearby volcano.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Ponte de Sor (Portugal)
3. Take a Cable Car Ride to Cerro San Bernardo
For breathtaking panoramic views of the city, hop on the cable car that takes you to the top of Cerro San Bernardo. Enjoy the stunning vistas and take memorable photos.
4. Explore the San Francisco Church and Convent
Visit the San Francisco Church and Convent, a beautiful religious complex that dates back to the 16th century. Admire the stunning architecture and explore the peaceful cloisters.
5. Wander Through the Mercado San Miguel
Immerse yourself in the local culture by visiting the Mercado San Miguel. This bustling market is a food lover’s paradise, offering a wide variety of fresh produce, meats, cheeses, and traditional Argentinean dishes.
6. Take a Day Trip to Cafayate
Embark on a scenic day trip to Cafayate, a charming town known for its vineyards and wineries. Enjoy wine tastings and explore the stunning Quebrada de las Conchas, a natural rock formation.
7. Visit the MAAM – Museo de Arqueología de Alta Montaña
Learn more about the rich indigenous history of the region at the MAAM – Museo de Arqueología de Alta Montaña. This museum displays a collection of artifacts and exhibits that shed light on the ancient cultures that once thrived in the area.
8. Explore the Salinas Grandes
Take a trip to the Salinas Grandes, a vast salt flat located between Salta and Jujuy. Marvel at the otherworldly landscape and take memorable photos in this unique natural wonder.
9. Discover the Quebrada de Humahuaca
Embark on a journey to the Quebrada de Humahuaca, a UNESCO World Heritage site. This stunning gorge is known for its vibrant colors and fascinating rock formations.
10. Enjoy a Traditional Argentinean Asado
No visit to Argentina is complete without indulging in a traditional Argentinean asado, a mouthwatering barbecue feast. Enjoy tender cuts of meat, delicious empanadas, and flavorful chimichurri sauce.
11. Take a Scenic Train Ride through the Clouds
Experience the breathtaking beauty of the Andes Mountains on a scenic train ride through the Clouds. Marvel at the stunning landscapes and enjoy the fresh mountain air.
12. Visit the Paseo Balcarce
Explore the lively Paseo Balcarce, a street known for its vibrant nightlife and traditional peñas. Enjoy live music, dance performances, and delicious regional cuisine.
13. Explore the Museo de Bellas Artes
Art enthusiasts will appreciate a visit to the Museo de Bellas Artes. This museum showcases a collection of Argentinean art, including paintings, sculptures, and ceramics.
14. Discover the Cachi Adentro
Take a scenic drive to Cachi Adentro, a picturesque village nestled in the Calchaquí Valley. Explore the charming streets, visit the local church, and admire the stunning mountain views.
15. Taste Traditional Empanadas
Sample the delicious traditional empanadas of Salta. These savory pastries are filled with a variety of ingredients, such as meat, cheese, and vegetables.
16. Visit the Museo de la Vid y el Vino
Learn about the history of winemaking in the region at the Museo de la Vid y el Vino. Discover the different grape varieties and the traditional methods used to produce the famous Salta wines.
17. Explore the Parque Nacional Los Cardones
Embark on an adventure in the Parque Nacional Los Cardones, a national park known for its unique cactus forest. Enjoy hiking trails, birdwatching, and stunning views of the surrounding mountains.
18. Take a Tour of the Cabildo
Visit the Cabildo, a historic building that once served as the seat of government during colonial times. Take a guided tour and learn about the city’s history and architecture.
19. Explore the Quebrada de Cafayate
Discover the stunning landscapes of the Quebrada de Cafayate. This colorful canyon is known for its unique rock formations, including the famous Amphitheater.
20. Visit the Museo de Arte Contemporáneo
Art lovers shouldn’t miss the Museo de Arte Contemporáneo. This museum showcases contemporary Argentinean art through a variety of mediums, including paintings, sculptures, and installations.
21. Take a Dip in the Termas de Rosario de la Frontera
Relax and rejuvenate in the natural thermal baths of Termas de Rosario de la Frontera. Enjoy the warm mineral-rich waters and soak in the beautiful surroundings.
22. Visit the Iglesia San Bernardo
Admire the stunning architecture of the Iglesia San Bernardo, a neo-Gothic church located in the city center. Step inside and marvel at the beautiful stained glass windows.
23. Explore the Museo de la Ciudad
Learn about the history and culture of Salta at the Museo de la Ciudad. This museum houses a collection of artifacts, photographs, and documents that tell the story of the city’s past.
24. Take a Horseback Ride through the Quebrada del Toro
Experience the beauty of the Quebrada del Toro on a horseback ride. Explore the rugged landscapes, cross rivers, and enjoy the tranquility of nature.
25. Visit the Museo Güemes
Learn about the life and legacy of General Martín Miguel de Güemes at the Museo Güemes. This museum showcases artifacts and exhibits that commemorate the hero of the Argentine War of Independence.
26. Take a Tour of the Salta Cathedral
Step inside the magnificent Salta Cathedral and admire its stunning architecture. Take a guided tour to learn about the history and significance of this religious landmark.
27. Explore the Parque San Martín
Escape the hustle and bustle of the city and relax in the Parque San Martín. This spacious park offers lush green spaces, walking trails, and a peaceful lake.
28. Visit the Museo de Antropología de Salta
Discover the rich indigenous cultures of Salta at the Museo de Antropología de Salta. This museum showcases a collection of artifacts, textiles, and traditional crafts.
29. Take a Wine Tasting Tour
Indulge in the flavors of Salta’s renowned wines on a wine tasting tour. Visit local wineries, learn about the winemaking process, and sample a variety of delicious wines.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Bergamo (Italy)
30. Enjoy the Nightlife in Salta
End your day by experiencing the vibrant nightlife of Salta. Visit the lively bars and clubs, enjoy live music, and dance the night away.
With its rich history, stunning landscapes, and vibrant culture, Salta offers a wide range of activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy. Whether you’re interested in history, nature, or gastronomy, Salta has something to offer everyone. Plan your trip to Salta and discover the best this enchanting city has to offer.