When it comes to exploring Italy, Piacenza is a city that often gets overlooked. Nestled in the Emilia-Romagna region, this charming city is bursting with history, culture, and delicious cuisine. Whether you’re a history buff, a foodie, or simply looking for a unique travel experience, Piacenza has something for everyone. In this article, we’ve compiled a list of the 30 best things to do in Piacenza to help you make the most of your visit.
- Best Things to Do in Piacenza (Italy)
- 1. Visit the Piazza Cavalli
- 2. Explore the Palazzo Comunale
- 3. Indulge in Local Cuisine
- 4. Take a Bike Ride along the River Po
- 5. Visit the Cathedral of Piacenza
- 6. Explore the Museo di Storia Naturale
- 7. Wander through the Historic Center
- 8. Visit the Basilica di Santa Maria di Campagna
- 9. Explore the Castello di Grazzano Visconti
- 10. Sample Local Wines
- 11. Visit the Teatro Municipale
- 12. Explore the Parco Galleana
- 13. Take a Cooking Class
- 14. Visit the Museo Civico Medievale
- 15. Explore the Collegio Alberoni
- 16. Attend a Local Festival
- 17. Visit the Museo di Storia e Arte
- 18. Take a Day Trip to Parma
- 19. Explore the Orto Botanico di Piacenza
- 20. Visit the Museo delle Cere Anatomiche
- 21. Enjoy a Gelato by the River
- 22. Take a Wine Tasting Tour
- 23. Visit the Museo Etnografico
- 24. Explore the Parco Naturale Regionale dei Colli Piacentini
- 25. Take a Boat Ride on the River Trebbia
- 26. Visit the Museo di Storia Militare
- 27. Explore the Giardino di Palazzo Farnese
- 28. Take a Guided Walking Tour
- 29. Visit the Museo del Risorgimento
- 30. Relax at a Local Spa
Best Things to Do in Piacenza (Italy)
1. Visit the Piazza Cavalli
Start your journey in Piacenza by visiting the iconic Piazza Cavalli. This beautiful square is home to two equestrian statues, which are the symbol of the city. Take a leisurely stroll and soak in the atmosphere of this historic square.
2. Explore the Palazzo Comunale
Located in the heart of the city, the Palazzo Comunale is a must-visit for history enthusiasts. This stunning palace dates back to the 13th century and is home to the Municipal Art Gallery, where you can admire works by renowned artists.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Meaux (France)
3. Indulge in Local Cuisine
No trip to Piacenza is complete without trying the local cuisine. From delicious cured meats to mouthwatering pasta dishes, Piacenza is a food lover’s paradise. Be sure to sample some traditional dishes like pisarei e fasö, a local specialty made with handmade pasta and beans.
4. Take a Bike Ride along the River Po
One of the best ways to explore the natural beauty of Piacenza is by taking a bike ride along the River Po. Rent a bike and enjoy a leisurely ride while taking in the picturesque scenery.
5. Visit the Cathedral of Piacenza
The Cathedral of Piacenza, also known as the Duomo di Piacenza, is a magnificent example of Romanesque architecture. Step inside and marvel at the intricate details and stunning artwork.
6. Explore the Museo di Storia Naturale
If you’re interested in natural history, don’t miss the Museo di Storia Naturale. This museum houses a fascinating collection of fossils, minerals, and animal specimens.
7. Wander through the Historic Center
Take a leisurely stroll through the historic center of Piacenza and admire the beautiful architecture. Don’t forget to stop by the Palazzo Farnese, a grand Renaissance palace that is now home to the Civic Museums.
8. Visit the Basilica di Santa Maria di Campagna
The Basilica di Santa Maria di Campagna is a hidden gem in Piacenza. This stunning church is known for its beautiful frescoes and peaceful atmosphere.
9. Explore the Castello di Grazzano Visconti
Just a short drive from Piacenza, you’ll find the Castello di Grazzano Visconti. This medieval castle is surrounded by picturesque vineyards and offers breathtaking views of the countryside.
10. Sample Local Wines
Piacenza is located in the heart of the Emilia-Romagna wine region, making it the perfect destination for wine lovers. Take a tour of a local winery and sample some of the region’s finest wines.
11. Visit the Teatro Municipale
If you’re a fan of the performing arts, be sure to catch a show at the Teatro Municipale. This beautiful theater hosts a variety of performances, including opera, ballet, and concerts.
12. Explore the Parco Galleana
Escape the hustle and bustle of the city and spend a relaxing day at the Parco Galleana. This beautiful park offers lush green spaces, walking trails, and a tranquil lake.
13. Take a Cooking Class
Immerse yourself in the culinary traditions of Piacenza by taking a cooking class. Learn how to make traditional dishes from a local chef and impress your friends back home.
14. Visit the Museo Civico Medievale
Step back in time and explore the Museo Civico Medievale. This museum is housed in a medieval tower and showcases artifacts from Piacenza’s rich history.
15. Explore the Collegio Alberoni
The Collegio Alberoni is a historic building that now houses the University of Piacenza. Take a stroll through the beautiful courtyard and admire the stunning architecture.
16. Attend a Local Festival
Piacenza is known for its vibrant festivals and events. Check the local calendar and see if there are any festivals happening during your visit. From food festivals to music concerts, there’s always something exciting happening in Piacenza.
17. Visit the Museo di Storia e Arte
Discover the history and art of Piacenza at the Museo di Storia e Arte. This museum houses a diverse collection of artwork, including paintings, sculptures, and ceramics.
18. Take a Day Trip to Parma
While in Piacenza, why not take a day trip to the nearby city of Parma? Known for its delicious Parmigiano Reggiano cheese and prosciutto, Parma is a food lover’s paradise.
19. Explore the Orto Botanico di Piacenza
If you’re a nature lover, don’t miss the Orto Botanico di Piacenza. This beautiful botanical garden is home to a wide variety of plants and flowers.
20. Visit the Museo delle Cere Anatomiche
The Museo delle Cere Anatomiche is a unique museum that showcases anatomical wax models. Learn about the human body and marvel at the intricate details of these lifelike models.
21. Enjoy a Gelato by the River
After a day of exploring, treat yourself to a delicious gelato by the river. There are several gelaterias in Piacenza that offer a wide range of flavors to satisfy your sweet tooth.
22. Take a Wine Tasting Tour
Embark on a wine tasting tour and discover the flavors of Piacenza. Visit local wineries and learn about the winemaking process while sampling a variety of wines.
23. Visit the Museo Etnografico
The Museo Etnografico is dedicated to preserving and showcasing the cultural heritage of Piacenza. Explore the exhibits and learn about the traditions and customs of the local community.
24. Explore the Parco Naturale Regionale dei Colli Piacentini
For outdoor enthusiasts, a visit to the Parco Naturale Regionale dei Colli Piacentini is a must. This regional park offers hiking trails, picnic areas, and stunning views of the surrounding countryside.
25. Take a Boat Ride on the River Trebbia
Escape the city and take a boat ride on the River Trebbia. Enjoy the tranquility of the river and take in the beautiful scenery.
26. Visit the Museo di Storia Militare
History buffs will enjoy a visit to the Museo di Storia Militare. This museum showcases the military history of Piacenza and houses a collection of weapons, uniforms, and memorabilia.
27. Explore the Giardino di Palazzo Farnese
The Giardino di Palazzo Farnese is a beautiful garden located behind the Palazzo Farnese. Take a leisurely stroll and admire the manicured lawns, colorful flowers, and elegant statues.
28. Take a Guided Walking Tour
If you want to learn more about the history and culture of Piacenza, consider taking a guided walking tour. A knowledgeable guide will take you through the city’s most important landmarks and share fascinating stories along the way.
29. Visit the Museo del Risorgimento
The Museo del Risorgimento is dedicated to the history of the Italian Risorgimento, a period of political and social change that led to the unification of Italy. Explore the exhibits and learn about this important chapter in Italian history.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Guarda (Portugal)
30. Relax at a Local Spa
After a busy day of sightseeing, treat yourself to some relaxation at a local spa. Piacenza is home to several wellness centers where you can enjoy a massage, a sauna, or a dip in a thermal pool.
With so many incredible things to see and do, Piacenza is a destination that should not be missed. Whether you’re exploring the historic landmarks, indulging in delicious cuisine, or simply soaking in the local culture, Piacenza will captivate you with its charm and beauty.