Ovar, a charming coastal town in Portugal, is known for its beautiful beaches, rich history, and vibrant culture. Whether you’re a nature lover, history enthusiast, or simply looking for a relaxing getaway, Ovar has something for everyone. Here are 30 of the best things to do in Ovar, Portugal.
- Best Things to Do in Ovar (Portugal)
- 1. Visit Furadouro Beach
- 2. Explore the Ria de Aveiro
- 3. Discover the Historical Center
- 4. Visit the Church of Ovar
- 5. Explore the Esmoriz Lagoon
- 6. Try the Local Cuisine
- 7. Visit the Museu Júlio Dinis
- 8. Relax at Maceda Beach
- 9. Explore the Aveiro Salt Pans
- 10. Visit the Chapel of Nossa Senhora da Guia
- 11. Go Surfing at Cortegaça Beach
- 12. Explore the Santa Maria da Feira Castle
- 13. Visit the Ovar Museum
- 14. Enjoy the Ovar Carnival
- 15. Take a Bike Ride along the Ecopista do Atlântico
- 16. Visit the Chapel of Senhor da Pedra
- 17. Explore the Natural Park of São Jacinto
- 18. Visit the Ovar City Park
- 19. Go Fishing in the Aveiro Lagoon
- 20. Explore the Barra Lighthouse
- 21. Relax at São Pedro de Maceda Beach
- 22. Visit the Church of Válega
- 23. Explore the Ovar Market
- 24. Go Birdwatching at the Lagoa de Paramos
- 25. Visit the Chapel of Senhora da Guia
- 26. Explore the Pateira de Ovar
- 27. Visit the Casa-Museu Egas Moniz
- 28. Explore the São Jacinto Dunes Natural Reserve
- 29. Visit the Chapel of Senhora da Paz
- 30. Enjoy a Sunset at Torreira Beach
Best Things to Do in Ovar (Portugal)
1. Visit Furadouro Beach
Start your Ovar adventure by visiting Furadouro Beach, one of the most popular beaches in the region. Enjoy the golden sand, clear waters, and stunning sunsets.
2. Explore the Ria de Aveiro
Take a boat tour and explore the Ria de Aveiro, a beautiful lagoon known for its diverse birdlife and picturesque landscapes.
3. Discover the Historical Center
Wander through the streets of Ovar’s historical center and admire the traditional Portuguese architecture. Don’t miss the iconic azulejos (hand-painted tiles) that decorate many buildings.
4. Visit the Church of Ovar
The Church of Ovar, also known as the Church of São Cristóvão, is a must-visit for its stunning Baroque architecture and beautiful interior.
5. Explore the Esmoriz Lagoon
Located near Ovar, the Esmoriz Lagoon is a paradise for birdwatchers and nature lovers. Take a walk along the wooden boardwalks and enjoy the peaceful surroundings.
6. Try the Local Cuisine
Indulge in the delicious local cuisine of Ovar. Don’t miss the famous “Pão-de-Ló” (sponge cake) and “Caldeirada de Enguias” (eel stew).
7. Visit the Museu Júlio Dinis
Learn about the life and works of Júlio Dinis, a famous Portuguese writer, at the Museu Júlio Dinis. The museum is housed in a beautiful 19th-century mansion.
8. Relax at Maceda Beach
Escape the crowds and unwind at Maceda Beach, a peaceful and unspoiled stretch of coastline. Enjoy the tranquility and natural beauty of the area.
9. Explore the Aveiro Salt Pans
Take a guided tour of the Aveiro Salt Pans and learn about the traditional salt production methods used in the region for centuries.
10. Visit the Chapel of Nossa Senhora da Guia
Located on a hill overlooking the town, the Chapel of Nossa Senhora da Guia offers panoramic views of Ovar and its surroundings. The chapel itself is a beautiful example of Portuguese religious architecture.
11. Go Surfing at Cortegaça Beach
If you’re a surfing enthusiast, head to Cortegaça Beach and catch some waves. The beach is known for its excellent surf conditions and laid-back atmosphere.
12. Explore the Santa Maria da Feira Castle
Take a short drive from Ovar and visit the Santa Maria da Feira Castle, a well-preserved medieval castle with stunning views from its towers.
13. Visit the Ovar Museum
Discover the history and culture of Ovar at the Ovar Museum. The museum houses a collection of artifacts, artworks, and documents that showcase the town’s past.
14. Enjoy the Ovar Carnival
If you’re visiting Ovar in February, don’t miss the Ovar Carnival, one of the biggest and most colorful carnivals in Portugal. Join the festivities and admire the elaborate costumes and parades.
15. Take a Bike Ride along the Ecopista do Atlântico
Rent a bike and explore the Ecopista do Atlântico, a scenic cycling path that stretches along the coast from Ovar to Espinho. Enjoy the fresh sea breeze and beautiful views.
16. Visit the Chapel of Senhor da Pedra
Located on Miramar Beach, near Ovar, the Chapel of Senhor da Pedra is a unique and picturesque chapel built on a rock formation by the sea. It’s a popular spot for weddings and religious celebrations.
17. Explore the Natural Park of São Jacinto
Embark on a nature adventure and explore the Natural Park of São Jacinto. Discover its diverse ecosystems, go hiking or birdwatching, and enjoy the tranquility of the surroundings.
18. Visit the Ovar City Park
Spend a relaxing afternoon at the Ovar City Park, a green oasis in the heart of the town. Take a leisurely stroll, have a picnic, or simply enjoy the peaceful atmosphere.
19. Go Fishing in the Aveiro Lagoon
Join a fishing tour and experience the traditional fishing methods used in the Aveiro Lagoon. Enjoy the tranquility of the lagoon and try your luck at catching some fish.
20. Explore the Barra Lighthouse
Visit the Barra Lighthouse, one of the tallest lighthouses in Europe. Climb to the top and enjoy panoramic views of the coast and the surrounding area.
21. Relax at São Pedro de Maceda Beach
Escape the crowds and unwind at São Pedro de Maceda Beach, a peaceful and pristine beach known for its natural beauty and calm waters.
22. Visit the Church of Válega
The Church of Válega is a unique architectural masterpiece. Admire its intricate azulejo panels and beautiful stained glass windows.
23. Explore the Ovar Market
Visit the Ovar Market and immerse yourself in the vibrant atmosphere. Browse through the stalls selling fresh produce, local crafts, and traditional products.
24. Go Birdwatching at the Lagoa de Paramos
The Lagoa de Paramos is a haven for birdwatchers. Explore the wetlands and observe a variety of bird species in their natural habitat.
25. Visit the Chapel of Senhora da Guia
Located in the village of Furadouro, the Chapel of Senhora da Guia offers a peaceful retreat and breathtaking views of the ocean.
26. Explore the Pateira de Ovar
Discover the largest lagoon in Portugal, the Pateira de Ovar. Take a boat tour, go kayaking, or simply enjoy the tranquility of the surroundings.
27. Visit the Casa-Museu Egas Moniz
Learn about the life and work of Egas Moniz, a Nobel Prize-winning Portuguese neurologist, at the Casa-Museu Egas Moniz.
28. Explore the São Jacinto Dunes Natural Reserve
Go on a nature walk and explore the São Jacinto Dunes Natural Reserve. Discover its unique flora and fauna and enjoy the peacefulness of the area.
29. Visit the Chapel of Senhora da Paz
Located in the village of Cortegaça, the Chapel of Senhora da Paz is a place of pilgrimage and offers stunning views of the surrounding countryside.
30. Enjoy a Sunset at Torreira Beach
End your day in Ovar by enjoying a breathtaking sunset at Torreira Beach. Relax on the sandy shore and watch as the sun dips below the horizon.
With its beautiful beaches, rich history, and natural beauty, Ovar offers a wide range of activities for every traveler. Whether you’re exploring the historical center, relaxing on the beaches, or immersing yourself in the local culture, Ovar is sure to leave you with unforgettable memories.