Located in the central part of Portugal, Ourém is a charming town that offers a mix of history, culture, and natural beauty. Whether you’re a history buff, a nature lover, or simply looking for a relaxing getaway, Ourém has something for everyone. So, without further ado, here are the 30 best things to do in Ourém:
- Best Things to Do in Ourém (Portugal)
- 1. Explore the Medieval Castle
- 2. Visit the Sanctuary of Fátima
- 3. Wander through the Historic Center
- 4. Hike in the Serras de Aire e Candeeiros Natural Park
- 5. Take a Boat Trip on the Nabão River
- 6. Visit the Museu Municipal
- 7. Discover the Cova da Iria Interpretation Center
- 8. Attend a Traditional Festival
- 9. Explore the Grottos of Mira de Aire
- 10. Visit the Convent of Christ in Tomar
- 11. Enjoy a Wine Tasting Experience
- 12. Take a Day Trip to Batalha
- 13. Relax at Praia do Pedrógão
- 14. Explore the Castle of Almourol
- 15. Visit the Church of Santa Maria do Olival
- 16. Explore the Natural Reserve of Paul de Arzila
- 17. Go Horseback Riding in the Countryside
- 18. Discover the Caves of Alvados
- 19. Visit the Chapel of Nossa Senhora da Conceição
- 20. Go Fishing in the Zêzere River
- 21. Sample Local Delicacies at the Market
- 22. Explore the Alqueidão Caves
- 23. Visit the Castle of Porto de Mós
- 24. Enjoy a Picnic at the Parque Linear do Rio Nabão
- 25. Take a Dip in the Natural Pools of Agroal
- 26. Visit the Church of São Tiago
- 27. Explore the Natural Park of Aire and Candeeiros Mountains
- 28. Take a Guided Tour of the Templar Castle in Tomar
- 29. Discover the Traditional Village of Dornes
- 30. Enjoy a Sunset at the Miradouro do Suberco
Best Things to Do in Ourém (Portugal)
1. Explore the Medieval Castle
No trip to Ourém is complete without a visit to its iconic Medieval Castle. This well-preserved fortress offers breathtaking views of the town and the surrounding countryside. Take a stroll along its ancient walls and imagine yourself back in the Middle Ages.
2. Visit the Sanctuary of Fátima
Just a short drive from Ourém, you’ll find the famous Sanctuary of Fátima. This religious site attracts millions of pilgrims every year who come to pay their respects to the Virgin Mary. Explore the beautiful basilica and attend a mass for a truly spiritual experience.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Alcobaça (Portugal)
3. Wander through the Historic Center
Get lost in the narrow streets of Ourém’s historic center and soak up the atmosphere of this charming town. Admire the traditional Portuguese architecture and stop by the local shops and cafes for a taste of authentic Portuguese cuisine.
4. Hike in the Serras de Aire e Candeeiros Natural Park
If you’re a nature enthusiast, don’t miss the opportunity to hike in the Serras de Aire e Candeeiros Natural Park. This stunning park is home to limestone caves, waterfalls, and a diverse range of flora and fauna. Lace up your hiking boots and get ready for an adventure.
5. Take a Boat Trip on the Nabão River
For a leisurely day out, hop on a boat and cruise along the Nabão River. Enjoy the peaceful surroundings and take in the picturesque views of the countryside. Don’t forget to bring your camera to capture the beauty of this hidden gem.
6. Visit the Museu Municipal
Learn more about the history and culture of Ourém by visiting the Museu Municipal. This museum showcases a collection of artifacts and exhibits that tell the story of the town’s past. From archaeological finds to traditional handicrafts, there’s plenty to see and learn here.
7. Discover the Cova da Iria Interpretation Center
Delve deeper into the history of Fátima at the Cova da Iria Interpretation Center. This interactive museum provides insights into the apparitions of the Virgin Mary and their impact on the town. It’s a fascinating place to visit, especially for those interested in religious history.
8. Attend a Traditional Festival
Experience the vibrant culture of Ourém by attending one of its traditional festivals. From the Festa de Nossa Senhora da Piedade to the Feira de Maio, there’s always something happening in this lively town. Join in the festivities and get a taste of the local traditions.
9. Explore the Grottos of Mira de Aire
Embark on an underground adventure and explore the Grottos of Mira de Aire. These impressive caves are the largest in Portugal and offer a unique experience for visitors. Marvel at the stunning rock formations and let your imagination run wild.
10. Visit the Convent of Christ in Tomar
Just a short drive from Ourém, you’ll find the historic town of Tomar, home to the Convent of Christ. This UNESCO World Heritage site is a must-visit for history lovers. Explore the grand architecture and immerse yourself in the rich history of the Templar Knights.
11. Enjoy a Wine Tasting Experience
Indulge in the flavors of Portugal by enjoying a wine tasting experience in Ourém. Visit one of the local wineries and sample a variety of delicious wines. Learn about the winemaking process and discover the unique characteristics of Portuguese wines.
12. Take a Day Trip to Batalha
Expand your exploration of Portugal by taking a day trip to the nearby town of Batalha. Visit the stunning Monastery of Batalha, another UNESCO World Heritage site, and admire its intricate Gothic architecture. Don’t forget to try the traditional pastries from the local bakeries.
13. Relax at Praia do Pedrógão
If you’re in need of some beach time, head to Praia do Pedrógão. This beautiful sandy beach is perfect for sunbathing, swimming, and enjoying water sports. Pack your beach towel, sunscreen, and a good book, and get ready to unwind.
14. Explore the Castle of Almourol
A short drive from Ourém, you’ll find the enchanting Castle of Almourol. Located on a small island in the middle of the Tagus River, this medieval castle is a sight to behold. Take a boat ride to the island and step back in time as you explore the castle’s walls.
15. Visit the Church of Santa Maria do Olival
Discover the religious heritage of Ourém by visiting the Church of Santa Maria do Olival. This ancient church dates back to the 12th century and is a beautiful example of Romanesque architecture. Admire the intricate details and enjoy a moment of tranquility.
16. Explore the Natural Reserve of Paul de Arzila
Immerse yourself in nature at the Natural Reserve of Paul de Arzila. This wetland area is home to a wide variety of bird species, making it a paradise for birdwatchers. Grab your binoculars and get ready to spot some feathered friends.
17. Go Horseback Riding in the Countryside
Experience the beauty of the Portuguese countryside on horseback. Take a guided horseback riding tour and explore the scenic trails surrounding Ourém. Enjoy the fresh air, the gentle rhythm of the horse’s hooves, and the stunning views.
18. Discover the Caves of Alvados
Another underground wonder awaits you at the Caves of Alvados. These limestone caves are known for their stunning stalactite and stalagmite formations. Take a guided tour and marvel at the natural beauty hidden beneath the surface.
19. Visit the Chapel of Nossa Senhora da Conceição
Perched on a hilltop overlooking Ourém, you’ll find the Chapel of Nossa Senhora da Conceição. This small chapel offers panoramic views of the town and the surrounding countryside. It’s the perfect spot to take in the beauty of the landscape.
20. Go Fishing in the Zêzere River
Grab your fishing rod and head to the Zêzere River for a day of fishing. This river is known for its abundance of fish, including trout and barbel. Cast your line and enjoy the peacefulness of this idyllic fishing spot.
21. Sample Local Delicacies at the Market
Visit the local market in Ourém and indulge in a variety of delicious local delicacies. From fresh fruits and vegetables to artisanal cheeses and cured meats, there’s something to satisfy every palate. Don’t forget to try the famous Pastéis de Nata.
22. Explore the Alqueidão Caves
If you’re up for another underground adventure, explore the Alqueidão Caves. These caves are known for their impressive rock formations and unique geological features. Take a guided tour and marvel at the wonders of nature.
23. Visit the Castle of Porto de Mós
Just a short drive from Ourém, you’ll find the Castle of Porto de Mós. This medieval castle offers panoramic views of the surrounding landscape and is a great place to learn about the region’s history. Climb to the top of the tower for the best views.
24. Enjoy a Picnic at the Parque Linear do Rio Nabão
Pack a picnic basket and head to the Parque Linear do Rio Nabão for a relaxing day outdoors. This park offers beautiful walking trails, picnic areas, and playgrounds for the little ones. Enjoy a leisurely lunch surrounded by nature.
25. Take a Dip in the Natural Pools of Agroal
Cool off on a hot summer day by taking a dip in the natural pools of Agroal. These crystal-clear pools are fed by a natural spring and offer a refreshing escape from the heat. Bring your swimsuit and enjoy a day of relaxation.
26. Visit the Church of São Tiago
Step inside the Church of São Tiago and admire its beautiful interior. This 16th-century church is known for its stunning azulejo tiles and intricate woodwork. Take a moment to appreciate the craftsmanship and the peaceful atmosphere.
27. Explore the Natural Park of Aire and Candeeiros Mountains
For outdoor enthusiasts, a visit to the Natural Park of Aire and Candeeiros Mountains is a must. This park offers a variety of activities, including hiking, rock climbing, and birdwatching. Lace up your hiking boots and get ready to explore.
28. Take a Guided Tour of the Templar Castle in Tomar
Delve into the history of the Templar Knights by taking a guided tour of the Templar Castle in Tomar. Learn about their fascinating legacy and explore the castle’s towers, courtyards, and underground passages. It’s a journey back in time you won’t want to miss.
29. Discover the Traditional Village of Dornes
Step back in time as you explore the traditional village of Dornes. Located on a peninsula in the middle of the Zêzere River, this charming village is known for its medieval tower and picturesque setting. Take a leisurely stroll and soak up the tranquility.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Barcelos (Portugal)
30. Enjoy a Sunset at the Miradouro do Suberco
End your visit to Ourém with a breathtaking sunset at the Miradouro do Suberco. This viewpoint offers panoramic views of the town and the surrounding countryside, making it the perfect spot to watch the sun go down. Bring a blanket and a bottle of wine for a romantic evening.
So there you have it, the 30 best things to do in Ourém, Portugal! Whether you’re exploring the historic sites, immersing yourself in nature, or indulging in the local cuisine, you’re sure to have a memorable experience in this charming town. So pack your bags and get ready to discover all that Ourém has to offer!