Montemor-o-Novo, a picturesque town in Portugal, offers a wide range of activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy. Whether you’re a history buff, a nature lover, or a food enthusiast, Montemor-o-Novo has something to offer everyone. In this article, we’ll explore the 30 best things to do in Montemor-o-Novo, ensuring that you make the most of your visit to this charming town.
- Best Things to Do in Montemor-o-Novo (Portugal)
- 1. Visit the Castle of Montemor-o-Novo
- 2. Wander through the Historic Center
- 3. Discover the Roman Ruins of Santiago do Escoural
- 4. Explore the Cork Forests
- 5. Visit the Church of Nossa Senhora da Graça
- 6. Indulge in Local Cuisine
- 7. Take a Wine Tasting Tour
- 8. Explore the Megalithic Monuments
- 9. Enjoy Outdoor Activities
- 10. Visit the Museum of Montemor-o-Novo
- 11. Attend a Local Festival
- 12. Relax at the Public Gardens
- 13. Discover the Alentejo Region
- 14. Visit the Chapel of São Gens
- 15. Explore the Sado Estuary Nature Reserve
- 16. Attend a Traditional Fado Performance
- 17. Visit the Municipal Market
- 18. Explore the Caves of Escoural
- 19. Take a Hot Air Balloon Ride
- 20. Visit the Chapel of São Sebastião
- 21. Explore the Castle of Arraiolos
- 22. Go Birdwatching at Lagoa de Santo André
- 23. Discover the Craft of Arraiolos Carpets
- 24. Take a Day Trip to Évora
- 25. Explore the Megalithic Complex of Cromeleque dos Almendres
- 26. Visit the Chapel of São Pedro
- 27. Take a Bike Tour
- 28. Discover the Traditional Pottery of Redondo
- 29. Attend a Bullfight
- 30. Relax at a Local Spa
Best Things to Do in Montemor-o-Novo (Portugal)
1. Visit the Castle of Montemor-o-Novo
Start your journey by visiting the iconic Castle of Montemor-o-Novo. This medieval fortress offers breathtaking views of the town and surrounding countryside. Explore its ancient walls and learn about the history of the region.
2. Wander through the Historic Center
Take a leisurely stroll through the historic center of Montemor-o-Novo. Admire the beautifully preserved architecture and charming cobblestone streets. Stop by the local shops and cafes to experience the town’s vibrant atmosphere.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Venlo (the Netherlands)
3. Discover the Roman Ruins of Santiago do Escoural
Just a short drive from Montemor-o-Novo, you’ll find the fascinating Roman ruins of Santiago do Escoural. Explore the ancient structures and marvel at the intricate mosaics.
4. Explore the Cork Forests
Montemor-o-Novo is surrounded by vast cork forests. Take a guided tour and learn about the cork industry, from harvesting to production. Don’t forget to buy some cork souvenirs to take back home.
5. Visit the Church of Nossa Senhora da Graça
The Church of Nossa Senhora da Graça is a must-visit attraction in Montemor-o-Novo. Admire the stunning architecture and intricate details of this beautiful church.
6. Indulge in Local Cuisine
Sample the delicious local cuisine of Montemor-o-Novo. From traditional Portuguese dishes to regional specialties, you’ll find a wide range of options to satisfy your taste buds.
7. Take a Wine Tasting Tour
Montemor-o-Novo is located in the heart of Portugal’s wine region. Take a wine tasting tour and discover the rich flavors of the local wines.
8. Explore the Megalithic Monuments
Montemor-o-Novo is home to several megalithic monuments. Visit the Almendres Cromlech, one of the largest and most impressive stone circles in Europe.
9. Enjoy Outdoor Activities
Montemor-o-Novo offers a variety of outdoor activities for adventure enthusiasts. Go hiking, horseback riding, or mountain biking and explore the stunning natural landscapes.
10. Visit the Museum of Montemor-o-Novo
Learn about the history and culture of Montemor-o-Novo at the local museum. Discover artifacts and exhibits that showcase the town’s rich heritage.
11. Attend a Local Festival
Experience the vibrant atmosphere of a local festival in Montemor-o-Novo. From music and dance to traditional costumes and delicious food, you’ll have a memorable time.
12. Relax at the Public Gardens
Take a break from sightseeing and relax at the public gardens of Montemor-o-Novo. Enjoy a picnic or simply soak in the peaceful ambiance.
13. Discover the Alentejo Region
Montemor-o-Novo is the perfect base for exploring the Alentejo region. Visit nearby towns and villages, such as Évora and Arraiolos, and discover their unique charm.
14. Visit the Chapel of São Gens
The Chapel of São Gens is a hidden gem in Montemor-o-Novo. Admire the beautiful frescoes and enjoy the tranquility of this small chapel.
15. Explore the Sado Estuary Nature Reserve
Embark on a nature adventure at the Sado Estuary Nature Reserve. Take a boat tour and observe the diverse wildlife, including dolphins and flamingos.
16. Attend a Traditional Fado Performance
Immerse yourself in the soulful sounds of Fado, Portugal’s traditional music genre. Attend a live performance and let the music touch your heart.
17. Visit the Municipal Market
Experience the vibrant atmosphere of the Municipal Market in Montemor-o-Novo. Browse through the stalls and shop for fresh produce, local crafts, and souvenirs.
18. Explore the Caves of Escoural
Discover the prehistoric caves of Escoural, located near Montemor-o-Novo. Admire the ancient cave paintings and learn about the region’s early inhabitants.
19. Take a Hot Air Balloon Ride
Experience Montemor-o-Novo from a different perspective with a hot air balloon ride. Enjoy panoramic views of the town and surrounding landscapes.
20. Visit the Chapel of São Sebastião
The Chapel of São Sebastião is another architectural gem in Montemor-o-Novo. Admire the beautiful azulejo tiles and intricate woodwork.
21. Explore the Castle of Arraiolos
Take a short trip to Arraiolos and explore its impressive castle. Enjoy the panoramic views from the castle walls and learn about the town’s history.
22. Go Birdwatching at Lagoa de Santo André
Visit Lagoa de Santo André, a coastal lagoon near Montemor-o-Novo, and go birdwatching. Spot a variety of bird species in their natural habitat.
23. Discover the Craft of Arraiolos Carpets
Arraiolos is famous for its handmade carpets. Visit a local workshop and learn about the traditional craft of Arraiolos carpets.
24. Take a Day Trip to Évora
Évora, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, is just a short drive from Montemor-o-Novo. Explore its historic center, visit the Roman Temple, and indulge in the local cuisine.
25. Explore the Megalithic Complex of Cromeleque dos Almendres
Discover the ancient megalithic complex of Cromeleque dos Almendres. Marvel at the impressive stone formations and learn about their significance.
26. Visit the Chapel of São Pedro
The Chapel of São Pedro is a small chapel located on a hilltop in Montemor-o-Novo. Enjoy panoramic views of the town and surrounding landscapes.
27. Take a Bike Tour
Explore the countryside of Montemor-o-Novo on a bike tour. Enjoy the fresh air and beautiful scenery as you pedal through the rural landscapes.
28. Discover the Traditional Pottery of Redondo
Visit the town of Redondo and discover its traditional pottery. Learn about the pottery-making process and shop for unique ceramic pieces.
29. Attend a Bullfight
Experience a traditional bullfight in Montemor-o-Novo. Watch as the matadors showcase their skills and witness this centuries-old tradition.
30. Relax at a Local Spa
Indulge in a day of relaxation at a local spa in Montemor-o-Novo. Enjoy rejuvenating treatments and unwind in the tranquil atmosphere.
With so many incredible things to do in Montemor-o-Novo, you’ll never run out of activities to enjoy. Plan your visit to this charming town and create memories that will last a lifetime.