Montbéliard, a charming city located in the eastern part of France, is known for its rich history, picturesque landscapes, and vibrant culture. Whether you are a history enthusiast, a nature lover, or a foodie, Montbéliard offers a wide range of activities and attractions to suit every interest. In this article, we have compiled a list of the 30 best things to do in Montbéliard to help you make the most of your visit.
- Best Things to Do in Montbéliard (France)
- 1. Visit the Château de Montbéliard
- 2. Explore the Montbéliard Old Town
- 3. Discover the Musée du Château des Ducs de Wurtemberg
- 4. Enjoy a Walk along the Doubs River
- 5. Visit the Peugeot Museum
- 6. Experience the Montbéliard Christmas Market
- 7. Take a Day Trip to the Lion of Belfort
- 8. Explore the Castle of Belfort
- 9. Sample Local Cuisine
- 10. Visit the Maison d’Editions de la Plume
- 11. Discover the Maison du Patrimoine
- 12. Attend a Concert at the Moloco
- 13. Explore the Parc Près la Rose
- 14. Visit the Maison de la Culture
- 15. Take a Bike Ride along the EuroVelo 6
- 16. Discover the Montbéliard Arboretum
- 17. Visit the Musée d’Art et d’Histoire de Montbéliard
- 18. Attend the Festival des Mômes
- 19. Take a Boat Ride on the Canal du Rhône au Rhin
- 20. Explore the Montbéliard Forest
- 21. Discover the Musée de l’Aventure Peugeot
- 22. Visit the Eglise Saint-Martin
- 23. Explore the Montbéliard Market
- 24. Take a Guided Tour of the Montbéliard Castle
- 25. Attend the Festival des Lumières
- 26. Visit the Musée de l’Aventure Peugeot Scooters
- 27. Enjoy a Performance at the Théâtre de Montbéliard
- 28. Take a Wine Tasting Tour
- 29. Attend the Festival des Jardins
- 30. Explore the Montbéliard Caves
Best Things to Do in Montbéliard (France)
1. Visit the Château de Montbéliard
Start your journey by exploring the iconic Château de Montbéliard, a stunning castle that dates back to the 14th century. Take a guided tour of the castle to learn about its fascinating history and admire the beautiful architecture.
2. Explore the Montbéliard Old Town
Take a stroll through the charming streets of the Montbéliard Old Town and discover its well-preserved medieval buildings. Admire the colorful half-timbered houses and visit the Saint-Maimboeuf Church, a masterpiece of Gothic architecture.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Saint-Leu (Reunion, France)
3. Discover the Musée du Château des Ducs de Wurtemberg
Visit the Musée du Château des Ducs de Wurtemberg, located within the Château de Montbéliard. This museum houses a remarkable collection of art and historical artifacts that showcase the region’s heritage.
4. Enjoy a Walk along the Doubs River
Take a leisurely walk along the scenic Doubs River and enjoy the picturesque views of the surrounding countryside. The river offers a peaceful setting for a relaxing afternoon stroll.
5. Visit the Peugeot Museum
Car enthusiasts will love a visit to the Peugeot Museum, which showcases the history of the famous automobile brand. Explore the collection of vintage cars and learn about the evolution of the Peugeot brand.
6. Experience the Montbéliard Christmas Market
If you visit Montbéliard during the holiday season, make sure to experience the magical Montbéliard Christmas Market. The market is known for its festive atmosphere, delicious food, and unique crafts.
7. Take a Day Trip to the Lion of Belfort
Just a short drive from Montbéliard, you can visit the iconic Lion of Belfort, a massive sculpture carved into the cliffside. Take a guided tour to learn about the history behind this impressive monument.
8. Explore the Castle of Belfort
While you are in the area, don’t miss the opportunity to explore the Castle of Belfort. This well-preserved fortress offers panoramic views of the city and the surrounding landscape.
9. Sample Local Cuisine
Indulge in the delicious local cuisine of Montbéliard, known for its hearty dishes and rich flavors. Try the famous Montbéliard sausage, a regional specialty that is a must-try for food lovers.
10. Visit the Maison d’Editions de la Plume
Book lovers will enjoy a visit to the Maison d’Editions de la Plume, a charming bookstore that specializes in local literature. Browse through the collection of books and discover hidden literary gems.
11. Discover the Maison du Patrimoine
Learn about the history and heritage of Montbéliard at the Maison du Patrimoine. This museum offers interactive exhibits and displays that provide insight into the city’s past.
12. Attend a Concert at the Moloco
If you are a music lover, don’t miss the chance to attend a concert at the Moloco. This popular music venue hosts a variety of performances, ranging from local bands to international artists.
13. Explore the Parc Près la Rose
Spend a relaxing day at the Parc Près la Rose, a beautiful park located near the city center. Enjoy a picnic, go for a bike ride, or simply soak in the tranquil atmosphere.
14. Visit the Maison de la Culture
Discover the vibrant arts scene of Montbéliard at the Maison de la Culture. This cultural center hosts exhibitions, concerts, and performances that showcase the local talent.
15. Take a Bike Ride along the EuroVelo 6
Explore the beautiful countryside surrounding Montbéliard by taking a bike ride along the EuroVelo 6 cycling route. This scenic route follows the Doubs River and offers breathtaking views.
16. Discover the Montbéliard Arboretum
Nature lovers will appreciate a visit to the Montbéliard Arboretum, a botanical garden that showcases a wide variety of plant species. Take a leisurely stroll and enjoy the peaceful ambiance.
17. Visit the Musée d’Art et d’Histoire de Montbéliard
Explore the Musée d’Art et d’Histoire de Montbéliard, a museum that houses a diverse collection of art and historical artifacts. Learn about the region’s cultural heritage through the museum’s exhibits.
18. Attend the Festival des Mômes
If you are visiting Montbéliard with children, make sure to attend the Festival des Mômes, a family-friendly festival that offers a variety of activities and performances for kids.
19. Take a Boat Ride on the Canal du Rhône au Rhin
Experience the beauty of the Canal du Rhône au Rhin by taking a boat ride. Enjoy the scenic views and learn about the history of the canal as you cruise along the water.
20. Explore the Montbéliard Forest
Embark on a hiking adventure in the Montbéliard Forest, a vast woodland area that offers numerous trails for outdoor enthusiasts. Enjoy the fresh air and immerse yourself in nature.
21. Discover the Musée de l’Aventure Peugeot
Learn about the fascinating history of the Peugeot brand at the Musée de l’Aventure Peugeot. This museum showcases a collection of vintage cars, bicycles, and motorcycles.
22. Visit the Eglise Saint-Martin
Admire the architectural beauty of the Eglise Saint-Martin, a stunning church located in the heart of Montbéliard. Step inside to marvel at the intricate stained glass windows.
23. Explore the Montbéliard Market
Immerse yourself in the vibrant atmosphere of the Montbéliard Market, where you can find fresh produce, local products, and unique crafts. Take the opportunity to interact with the friendly locals.
24. Take a Guided Tour of the Montbéliard Castle
Learn about the history and legends of the Montbéliard Castle by taking a guided tour. Explore the castle’s rooms and admire the breathtaking views from the tower.
25. Attend the Festival des Lumières
If you visit Montbéliard in December, don’t miss the enchanting Festival des Lumières. This festival features stunning light installations that illuminate the city’s streets and landmarks.
26. Visit the Musée de l’Aventure Peugeot Scooters
Discover the world of Peugeot scooters at the Musée de l’Aventure Peugeot Scooters. Learn about the evolution of scooters and see a collection of vintage models.
27. Enjoy a Performance at the Théâtre de Montbéliard
Experience the vibrant performing arts scene of Montbéliard by attending a performance at the Théâtre de Montbéliard. From theater plays to dance performances, there is something for everyone.
28. Take a Wine Tasting Tour
Indulge in the flavors of the region by taking a wine tasting tour. Visit local wineries and sample a variety of wines, including the famous Montbéliard wines.
29. Attend the Festival des Jardins
If you visit Montbéliard in the summer, make sure to attend the Festival des Jardins. This festival showcases stunning garden displays and offers gardening workshops for enthusiasts.
30. Explore the Montbéliard Caves
Discover the hidden underground world of Montbéliard by exploring the Montbéliard Caves. Take a guided tour and learn about the geological formations and history of the caves.
With its rich heritage, stunning landscapes, and diverse range of activities, Montbéliard is a destination that offers something for everyone. Whether you are interested in history, nature, or gastronomy, this charming city in France is sure to captivate you.