Millau, a picturesque town nestled in the heart of France, is a hidden gem waiting to be explored. With its stunning landscapes, rich history, and vibrant culture, Millau offers a plethora of activities and attractions that will captivate any traveler. Whether you’re a nature enthusiast, history buff, or simply looking for a charming getaway, Millau has something for everyone.
- Best Things to Do in Millau (France)
- 1. Marvel at the Millau Viaduct
- 2. Explore the Gorges du Tarn
- 3. Visit the Millau Old Town
- 4. Discover the Roquefort Caves
- 5. Take a Hot Air Balloon Ride
- 6. Visit the Beffroi de Millau
- 7. Explore the Larzac Plateau
- 8. Go Paragliding
- 9. Visit the Musee de Millau
- 10. Enjoy Water Sports on the River Tarn
- 11. Attend a Traditional French Market
- 12. Visit the Chateau de Peyrelade
- 13. Go Wine Tasting
- 14. Take a Scenic Drive along the Gorges de la Jonte
- 15. Explore the Templar Commandery of Sainte-Eulalie-de-Cernon
- 16. Go Rock Climbing
- 17. Relax at the Lac du Salagou
- 18. Visit the Musee de la Resistance
- 19. Go Horseback Riding
- 20. Attend a Music Festival
- 21. Visit the Musee Soulages in nearby Rodez
- 22. Try Traditional French Cuisine
- 23. Explore the Causse Noir
- 24. Attend the Millau Jazz Festival
- 25. Visit the Musee de la Grange Templiere
- 26. Go Mountain Biking
- 27. Relax at the Parc de la Victoire
- 28. Visit the Musee de la Faune
- 29. Go Fishing in the River Dourbie
- 30. Attend the Millau Petanque Championship
Best Things to Do in Millau (France)
1. Marvel at the Millau Viaduct
No visit to Millau is complete without witnessing the awe-inspiring Millau Viaduct. This architectural masterpiece is the tallest bridge in the world and offers breathtaking views of the surrounding countryside. Take a leisurely stroll or cycle across the bridge to truly appreciate its grandeur.
2. Explore the Gorges du Tarn
Immerse yourself in nature’s beauty by exploring the stunning Gorges du Tarn. Whether you choose to hike, kayak, or simply relax by the river, the Gorges du Tarn will leave you in awe of its towering cliffs and crystal-clear waters.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Novara (Italy)
3. Visit the Millau Old Town
Step back in time as you wander through the charming streets of Millau’s Old Town. Admire the medieval architecture, visit the local shops, and indulge in delicious French cuisine at one of the many quaint restaurants.
4. Discover the Roquefort Caves
Embark on a gastronomic adventure by visiting the famous Roquefort Caves. Learn about the production of this world-renowned cheese and sample its distinct flavors. Don’t forget to pair it with a glass of local wine!
5. Take a Hot Air Balloon Ride
Experience Millau from a different perspective by taking a hot air balloon ride. Soar above the town and enjoy panoramic views of the surrounding countryside. It’s an unforgettable experience that will leave you in awe.
6. Visit the Beffroi de Millau
Climb the steps of the Beffroi de Millau, a medieval bell tower, for stunning views of the town and its surroundings. It’s the perfect spot to capture some Instagram-worthy photos.
7. Explore the Larzac Plateau
Embark on a scenic drive through the rugged beauty of the Larzac Plateau. Marvel at the vast expanses of greenery, visit charming villages, and enjoy a picnic surrounded by nature.
8. Go Paragliding
For the adrenaline junkies, Millau offers the perfect opportunity to go paragliding. Soar through the skies and take in the breathtaking views of the town and its surroundings. It’s an exhilarating experience like no other.
9. Visit the Musee de Millau
Discover the rich history and heritage of Millau at the Musee de Millau. From ancient artifacts to contemporary art, the museum offers a fascinating insight into the town’s past and present.
10. Enjoy Water Sports on the River Tarn
Get your adrenaline pumping by trying out various water sports on the River Tarn. From kayaking to paddleboarding, there’s something for everyone to enjoy.
11. Attend a Traditional French Market
Immerse yourself in the local culture by attending a traditional French market in Millau. Browse through stalls filled with fresh produce, local crafts, and delicious treats. It’s a sensory experience you won’t want to miss.
12. Visit the Chateau de Peyrelade
Explore the ruins of the Chateau de Peyrelade, a medieval fortress perched on a cliff overlooking the Tarn Valley. Take a guided tour to learn about its fascinating history and enjoy panoramic views of the surrounding countryside.
13. Go Wine Tasting
Indulge in the flavors of the region by going wine tasting in Millau. Visit local vineyards, learn about the winemaking process, and sample a variety of wines. Cheers!
14. Take a Scenic Drive along the Gorges de la Jonte
Embark on a scenic drive along the Gorges de la Jonte and marvel at the dramatic cliffs and breathtaking views. Don’t forget to stop at the lookout points for some incredible photo opportunities.
15. Explore the Templar Commandery of Sainte-Eulalie-de-Cernon
Step into the past as you visit the Templar Commandery of Sainte-Eulalie-de-Cernon. Explore the medieval fortress, learn about the Knights Templar, and admire the stunning architecture.
16. Go Rock Climbing
Millau is a paradise for rock climbers, with its sheer cliffs and challenging routes. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced climber, there are plenty of options to suit all skill levels.
17. Relax at the Lac du Salagou
Escape the hustle and bustle of the town and relax at the peaceful Lac du Salagou. Enjoy a swim in the turquoise waters, go for a leisurely hike, or simply unwind on the sandy beaches.
18. Visit the Musee de la Resistance
Learn about the heroic acts of the French Resistance during World War II at the Musee de la Resistance. The museum showcases artifacts, photographs, and personal stories that pay tribute to the brave individuals who fought for freedom.
19. Go Horseback Riding
Explore the beautiful countryside surrounding Millau on horseback. Ride through meadows, forests, and winding trails, and experience the serenity of nature.
20. Attend a Music Festival
Immerse yourself in the vibrant music scene of Millau by attending a music festival. From jazz to classical, there’s a festival for every music lover.
21. Visit the Musee Soulages in nearby Rodez
Take a short trip to nearby Rodez and visit the Musee Soulages. This modern art museum showcases the works of the renowned French artist Pierre Soulages and is a must-visit for art enthusiasts.
22. Try Traditional French Cuisine
Indulge in the flavors of France by trying traditional French cuisine in Millau. From escargots to foie gras, there’s a wide range of dishes to satisfy your taste buds.
23. Explore the Causse Noir
Discover the rugged beauty of the Causse Noir, a limestone plateau known for its wild landscapes and unique flora and fauna. Go for a hike or simply enjoy a leisurely walk surrounded by nature.
24. Attend the Millau Jazz Festival
If you’re a jazz enthusiast, don’t miss the annual Millau Jazz Festival. Enjoy live performances by talented musicians from around the world in a picturesque setting.
25. Visit the Musee de la Grange Templiere
Learn about the Templars and their fascinating history at the Musee de la Grange Templiere. The museum offers an immersive experience with interactive exhibits and displays.
26. Go Mountain Biking
Explore the rugged terrain surrounding Millau on a mountain bike. With its diverse trails and stunning scenery, Millau offers endless opportunities for mountain biking enthusiasts.
27. Relax at the Parc de la Victoire
Take a break from sightseeing and relax at the Parc de la Victoire. Enjoy a picnic, go for a leisurely stroll, or simply soak up the sun in this peaceful park.
28. Visit the Musee de la Faune
Discover the rich wildlife of the region at the Musee de la Faune. The museum showcases a variety of animal species, including birds, mammals, and reptiles.
29. Go Fishing in the River Dourbie
Grab your fishing gear and spend a relaxing day by the River Dourbie. With its abundant fish population, it’s the perfect spot for fishing enthusiasts.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Mar del Plata (Argentina)
30. Attend the Millau Petanque Championship
Experience the excitement of the traditional French game of petanque by attending the annual Millau Petanque Championship. Watch skilled players compete for the title in a lively and festive atmosphere.
Millau is a destination that offers a perfect blend of natural beauty, history, and culture. Whether you’re seeking adventure, relaxation, or simply want to immerse yourself in the French way of life, Millau has it all. So pack your bags, grab your camera, and get ready for an unforgettable journey in this hidden gem of France.