Welcome to Meaux, a charming town located in the heart of France. Known for its rich history, stunning architecture, and mouthwatering cuisine, Meaux is a must-visit destination for any traveler. Whether you’re a history buff, a foodie, or an adventure seeker, Meaux offers a wide range of activities and attractions that are sure to captivate your senses. In this article, we’ve compiled a list of the 30 best things to do in Meaux, so grab your map and let’s get started!
- Best Things to Do in Meaux (France)
- 1. Explore the Historic Meaux Cathedral
- 2. Stroll Along the Banks of the Marne River
- 3. Indulge in Brie de Meaux, the King of Cheeses
- 4. Visit the Museum of the Great War
- 5. Take a Day Trip to Château de Vaux-le-Vicomte
- 6. Sample Local Delicacies at the Meaux Market
- 7. Admire the Artwork at the Musée Bossuet
- 8. Explore the Underground Caves of Fromagerie Rouzaire
- 9. Attend a Performance at the Théâtre Luxembourg
- 10. Wander Through the Jardin Bossuet
- 11. Discover the Secrets of the Brie de Meaux Museum
- 12. Take a Boat Ride on the Canal de l’Ourcq
- 13. Explore the Château de Montceaux-lès-Meaux
- 14. Attend a Wine Tasting at a Local Vineyard
- 15. Join a Guided Tour of Meaux’s Street Art
- 16. Visit the Musée de la Grande Guerre du Pays de Meaux
- 17. Enjoy a Traditional French Meal at a Local Bistro
- 18. Take a Bike Ride Along the Canal de Chalifert
- 19. Visit the Musée de la Seine-et-Marne
- 20. Explore the Medieval Streets of Meaux
- 21. Attend a Concert at the Cathédrale Saint-Étienne
- 22. Go Horseback Riding in the Countryside
- 23. Visit the Musée de la Coutellerie
- 24. Take a Guided Tour of the Château de Champs-sur-Marne
- 25. Attend a Local Festival or Event
- 26. Go on a Shopping Spree in Meaux’s Boutiques
- 27. Relax at the Parc Naturel Régional Oise-Pays de France
- 28. Take a Cooking Class and Learn to Make French Delicacies
- 29. Attend a Wine and Cheese Pairing Workshop
- 30. Capture the Sunset at the Château de Montceaux-lès-Meaux
Best Things to Do in Meaux (France)
1. Explore the Historic Meaux Cathedral
Start your journey by visiting the iconic Meaux Cathedral, a masterpiece of Gothic architecture. Marvel at its intricate stained glass windows, towering spires, and ornate sculptures. Don’t forget to climb to the top for panoramic views of the town.
2. Stroll Along the Banks of the Marne River
Take a leisurely walk along the picturesque Marne River and enjoy the tranquility of nature. Pack a picnic and find a cozy spot to relax, or rent a kayak and paddle your way through the crystal-clear waters.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Almada (Portugal)
3. Indulge in Brie de Meaux, the King of Cheeses
No visit to Meaux is complete without trying the famous Brie de Meaux. Known as the king of cheeses, this creamy delicacy is made locally and is a true gastronomic delight. Pair it with a glass of local wine for the ultimate culinary experience.
4. Visit the Museum of the Great War
Delve into the history of World War I at the Museum of the Great War. Explore the extensive collection of artifacts, interactive exhibits, and immersive displays that bring the past to life. Gain a deeper understanding of the sacrifices made by soldiers and civilians during this tumultuous time.
5. Take a Day Trip to Château de Vaux-le-Vicomte
Just a short drive from Meaux lies the magnificent Château de Vaux-le-Vicomte. Step back in time as you wander through its opulent rooms, manicured gardens, and grand fountains. Don’t forget to snap a photo at the iconic Grand Canal.
6. Sample Local Delicacies at the Meaux Market
Immerse yourself in the vibrant atmosphere of the Meaux Market, where you’ll find an array of fresh produce, artisanal cheeses, and delectable pastries. Chat with the friendly vendors and sample their mouthwatering creations.
7. Admire the Artwork at the Musée Bossuet
Art enthusiasts will love the Musée Bossuet, a museum dedicated to the works of local artists. Marvel at the diverse collection of paintings, sculptures, and decorative arts that showcase the talent and creativity of Meaux’s artistic community.
8. Explore the Underground Caves of Fromagerie Rouzaire
Go on a unique underground adventure at Fromagerie Rouzaire, a cheese cellar located beneath the streets of Meaux. Learn about the cheese-making process, taste different varieties, and discover the secrets behind this age-old tradition.
9. Attend a Performance at the Théâtre Luxembourg
Experience the magic of live theater at the Théâtre Luxembourg. From captivating dramas to hilarious comedies, this historic theater offers a diverse lineup of performances that are sure to entertain and inspire.
10. Wander Through the Jardin Bossuet
Escape the hustle and bustle of the city and find serenity in the Jardin Bossuet. This beautifully landscaped garden is the perfect place to unwind, read a book, or simply enjoy the beauty of nature.
11. Discover the Secrets of the Brie de Meaux Museum
Dive deeper into the world of Brie de Meaux at the Brie de Meaux Museum. Learn about the history, production process, and cultural significance of this beloved cheese. Don’t forget to sample some delicious Brie at the end of your visit.
12. Take a Boat Ride on the Canal de l’Ourcq
Embark on a scenic boat ride along the Canal de l’Ourcq and admire the idyllic countryside. Sit back, relax, and let the gentle sway of the boat transport you to a state of pure bliss.
13. Explore the Château de Montceaux-lès-Meaux
Uncover the secrets of the Château de Montceaux-lès-Meaux, a hidden gem nestled in the outskirts of Meaux. Wander through its enchanting gardens, explore its rich history, and soak in the breathtaking views of the surrounding countryside.
14. Attend a Wine Tasting at a Local Vineyard
Indulge your senses with a wine tasting experience at one of Meaux’s local vineyards. Savor the flavors of the region as you sample a variety of wines, from crisp whites to full-bodied reds.
15. Join a Guided Tour of Meaux’s Street Art
Discover Meaux’s vibrant street art scene on a guided tour. Follow your knowledgeable guide as they lead you through the city’s hidden alleys and backstreets, showcasing the incredible talent of local artists.
16. Visit the Musée de la Grande Guerre du Pays de Meaux
Deepen your understanding of World War I at the Musée de la Grande Guerre du Pays de Meaux. Explore the extensive collection of artifacts, personal stories, and interactive exhibits that shed light on this pivotal moment in history.
17. Enjoy a Traditional French Meal at a Local Bistro
Treat yourself to a traditional French meal at one of Meaux’s charming bistros. Indulge in classic dishes like coq au vin, escargots, and crème brûlée, paired with a glass of fine wine.
18. Take a Bike Ride Along the Canal de Chalifert
Rent a bike and pedal your way along the scenic Canal de Chalifert. Enjoy the fresh air, admire the picturesque landscapes, and stop for a picnic at one of the charming picnic spots along the way.
19. Visit the Musée de la Seine-et-Marne
Immerse yourself in the art and history of the Seine-et-Marne region at the Musée de la Seine-et-Marne. From ancient artifacts to contemporary masterpieces, this museum offers a fascinating glimpse into the region’s past and present.
20. Explore the Medieval Streets of Meaux
Step back in time as you wander through the medieval streets of Meaux. Admire the well-preserved timber-framed houses, cobblestone alleys, and charming squares that evoke a sense of old-world charm.
21. Attend a Concert at the Cathédrale Saint-Étienne
Experience the acoustics of the Cathédrale Saint-Étienne by attending a live concert. From classical symphonies to choral performances, this majestic cathedral provides the perfect backdrop for a musical evening.
22. Go Horseback Riding in the Countryside
Saddle up and embark on a horseback riding adventure through the picturesque countryside surrounding Meaux. Enjoy the breathtaking views, feel the wind in your hair, and connect with nature in a unique way.
23. Visit the Musée de la Coutellerie
Discover the art of knife making at the Musée de la Coutellerie. Learn about the craftsmanship, techniques, and history behind these intricate creations. Marvel at the skill of the artisans and browse the collection of beautifully crafted knives.
24. Take a Guided Tour of the Château de Champs-sur-Marne
Embark on a guided tour of the Château de Champs-sur-Marne, a stunning 18th-century castle. Explore its opulent rooms, lavish gardens, and charming courtyards as you learn about the fascinating history of this architectural gem.
25. Attend a Local Festival or Event
Immerse yourself in the vibrant culture of Meaux by attending a local festival or event. From music festivals to food fairs, there’s always something happening in this lively town.
26. Go on a Shopping Spree in Meaux’s Boutiques
Indulge in some retail therapy by exploring the unique boutiques and shops of Meaux. From fashion and accessories to gourmet treats and artisanal crafts, you’ll find something to suit every taste.
27. Relax at the Parc Naturel Régional Oise-Pays de France
Escape the hustle and bustle of the city and unwind in the tranquil surroundings of the Parc Naturel Régional Oise-Pays de France. Take a leisurely stroll, have a picnic by the lake, or simply enjoy the beauty of the natural landscape.
28. Take a Cooking Class and Learn to Make French Delicacies
Immerse yourself in the culinary traditions of Meaux by taking a cooking class. Learn to make traditional French delicacies like macarons, croissants, and boeuf bourguignon under the guidance of a skilled chef.
29. Attend a Wine and Cheese Pairing Workshop
Discover the art of wine and cheese pairing at a workshop led by a local expert. Learn about the different flavor profiles, textures, and aromas that complement each other, and master the art of creating the perfect pairing.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Agualva-Cacém (Portugal)
30. Capture the Sunset at the Château de Montceaux-lès-Meaux
End your day in Meaux by capturing the breathtaking sunset at the Château de Montceaux-lès-Meaux. Find a cozy spot, set up your camera, and watch as the sky transforms into a kaleidoscope of vibrant colors.
With its rich history, stunning architecture, and vibrant culture, Meaux has something to offer every traveler. So pack your bags, put on your explorer hat, and get ready to uncover the hidden gems of this enchanting town.