Lombok, an island in Indonesia, is known for its stunning natural beauty and rich cultural heritage. Located east of Bali, Lombok offers a quieter and more laid-back alternative to its famous neighbor. With pristine beaches, majestic waterfalls, and vibrant local markets, there are plenty of things to see and do in Lombok. Whether you’re an adventure seeker, a beach lover, or a culture enthusiast, this guide will highlight the 30 best things to do in Lombok.
- Best Things to Do in Lombok (Indonesia)
- 1. Visit Mount Rinjani
- 2. Explore the Gili Islands
- 3. Relax on Selong Belanak Beach
- 4. Discover the Sasak Culture
- 5. Immerse Yourself in Kuta Beach
- 6. Take a Dip in the Tiu Kelep Waterfall
- 7. Explore the Traditional Market in Ampenan
- 8. Go Surfing in Gerupuk
- 9. Visit the Pura Lingsar Temple
- 10. Snorkel in the Pink Beach
- 11. Experience Traditional Weaving in Sukarara
- 12. Take a Boat Trip to Nusa Penida
- 13. Discover the Underwater World in Gili Nanggu
- 14. Explore the Traditional Village of Bayan
- 15. Hike to Benang Stokel and Benang Kelambu Waterfalls
- 16. Visit the Mayura Water Palace
- 17. Experience Traditional Dance Performances
- 18. Explore the Batu Bolong Temple
- 19. Enjoy a Sunset Cruise
- 20. Discover the Traditional Pottery Village of Banyumulek
- 21. Indulge in Local Cuisine
- 22. Relax in the Hot Springs of Aik Kalak
- 23. Visit the Traditional Market in Mataram
- 24. Trek to Sendang Gile Waterfall
- 25. Explore the Monkey Forest in Pusuk
- 26. Learn to Surf in Selong Belanak
- 27. Take a Traditional Horse Cart Ride
- 28. Visit the Traditional Village of Sukarara
- 29. Go Diving in the Gili Islands
- 30. Experience a Traditional Sasak Wedding Ceremony
Best Things to Do in Lombok (Indonesia)
1. Visit Mount Rinjani
Mount Rinjani is an active volcano and the second highest peak in Indonesia. It offers breathtaking views and challenging hiking trails for outdoor enthusiasts. The trek to the summit is a once-in-a-lifetime experience that rewards you with panoramic vistas of the island.
2. Explore the Gili Islands
The Gili Islands, consisting of Gili Trawangan, Gili Air, and Gili Meno, are a must-visit destination in Lombok. These idyllic islands are known for their crystal-clear waters, vibrant coral reefs, and laid-back atmosphere. Snorkeling, diving, and relaxing on the pristine beaches are popular activities here.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Medan (Indonesia)
3. Relax on Selong Belanak Beach
Selong Belanak Beach is a hidden gem in Lombok, offering soft white sand and turquoise waters. It’s the perfect spot to unwind, swim, and soak up the sun. You can also try your hand at surfing or enjoy a delicious seafood barbecue on the beach.
4. Discover the Sasak Culture
The Sasak people are the indigenous inhabitants of Lombok, and exploring their culture is a fascinating experience. Visit traditional Sasak villages, such as Sade or Ende, to learn about their unique customs, traditional houses, and vibrant handicrafts.
5. Immerse Yourself in Kuta Beach
Kuta Beach in Lombok is a surfer’s paradise, known for its world-class waves and golden sands. Spend a day riding the waves, sunbathing, or simply enjoying the breathtaking coastal scenery. Don’t miss the sunset, as it paints the sky with vibrant colors.
6. Take a Dip in the Tiu Kelep Waterfall
Located in North Lombok, the Tiu Kelep Waterfall is a natural wonder that shouldn’t be missed. Surrounded by lush greenery, this two-tiered waterfall offers a refreshing escape from the heat. Take a dip in the cool waters or explore the nearby Sendang Gile Waterfall.
7. Explore the Traditional Market in Ampenan
Ampenan is a historic district in Lombok and home to a bustling traditional market. Stroll through the market to experience the vibrant atmosphere, sample local delicacies, and shop for traditional crafts, textiles, and spices.
8. Go Surfing in Gerupuk
Gerupuk is a small fishing village known for its world-class surf breaks. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced surfer, Gerupuk offers waves for all levels. Rent a board, catch some waves, and immerse yourself in the local surf culture.
9. Visit the Pura Lingsar Temple
Pura Lingsar is a unique temple in Lombok that showcases the harmonious coexistence of Hinduism and Islam. It is a sacred site for both Hindus and Muslims and features a large pool where devotees partake in purification rituals.
10. Snorkel in the Pink Beach
The Pink Beach, also known as Tangsi Beach, gets its name from the pink-hued sand caused by the presence of microscopic marine organisms. Snorkel in the clear waters to discover vibrant coral reefs and a diverse array of marine life.
11. Experience Traditional Weaving in Sukarara
Sukarara is a village renowned for its traditional weaving techniques. Visit the local workshops to witness the intricate process of hand-weaving and purchase beautiful textiles as souvenirs.
12. Take a Boat Trip to Nusa Penida
Nusa Penida is an island located southeast of Lombok, famous for its stunning cliffs, pristine beaches, and abundant marine life. Take a boat trip from Lombok to explore this untouched paradise and swim with manta rays.
13. Discover the Underwater World in Gili Nanggu
Gili Nanggu is a small island off the southwest coast of Lombok, known for its crystal-clear waters and vibrant coral reefs. Snorkel or dive to explore the diverse marine life, including colorful fish, turtles, and even small reef sharks.
14. Explore the Traditional Village of Bayan
Bayan is a traditional village in Lombok that offers a glimpse into the island’s rich cultural heritage. Marvel at the traditional Sasak houses, visit the old mosque, and learn about the local customs and traditions.
15. Hike to Benang Stokel and Benang Kelambu Waterfalls
Benang Stokel and Benang Kelambu Waterfalls are located in Central Lombok and offer a serene escape into nature. Hike through lush forests to reach these cascading waterfalls and enjoy a refreshing swim in the natural pools.
16. Visit the Mayura Water Palace
The Mayura Water Palace, located in Cakranegara, is a historical site that served as a royal court in the past. Explore the beautiful gardens, ponds, and pavilions, and learn about the island’s royal history.
17. Experience Traditional Dance Performances
Lombok is known for its vibrant traditional dance performances, such as the traditional Sasak dance and the Topat War dance. Watch these mesmerizing performances to immerse yourself in the local culture.
18. Explore the Batu Bolong Temple
Located on a rocky outcrop overlooking the ocean, the Batu Bolong Temple is a picturesque Hindu temple in Lombok. Take in the panoramic views and witness the stunning sunsets from this sacred site.
19. Enjoy a Sunset Cruise
Embark on a sunset cruise around the coast of Lombok to witness the breathtaking colors of the setting sun. Sip on a refreshing cocktail, indulge in a delicious dinner, and soak in the beauty of the island from the water.
20. Discover the Traditional Pottery Village of Banyumulek
Banyumulek is a village known for its traditional pottery craftsmanship. Watch the skilled artisans create intricate pottery pieces using traditional techniques and purchase unique souvenirs to take home.
21. Indulge in Local Cuisine
Lombok is famous for its delicious cuisine, influenced by both Indonesian and Sasak flavors. Try local specialties such as Ayam Taliwang (grilled chicken), Plecing Kangkung (water spinach salad), and Sate Rembiga (spicy beef skewers) for an authentic culinary experience.
22. Relax in the Hot Springs of Aik Kalak
Aik Kalak is a natural hot spring located in Central Lombok, surrounded by lush greenery. Soak in the warm mineral-rich waters to relax and rejuvenate after a day of exploring the island.
23. Visit the Traditional Market in Mataram
Mataram, the capital city of Lombok, is home to a vibrant traditional market. Explore the stalls selling fresh produce, spices, textiles, and handicrafts, and experience the hustle and bustle of local life.
24. Trek to Sendang Gile Waterfall
Sendang Gile Waterfall is a popular tourist attraction located in Senaru, near Mount Rinjani. Trek through the lush rainforest to reach this majestic waterfall and enjoy a refreshing swim in the natural pool.
25. Explore the Monkey Forest in Pusuk
Pusuk Monkey Forest is a natural reserve located along the road to North Lombok. Take a drive through the forest and spot the playful monkeys swinging from the trees. Don’t forget to bring some bananas to feed them!
26. Learn to Surf in Selong Belanak
Selong Belanak Beach is not only a beautiful spot to relax but also a great place to learn how to surf. Sign up for a surf lesson with a local instructor and catch your first waves in the gentle rolling breaks.
27. Take a Traditional Horse Cart Ride
Explore the city of Mataram in a traditional horse cart, known as a cidomo. Enjoy a leisurely ride through the streets, visit local attractions, and get a taste of the traditional mode of transportation.
28. Visit the Traditional Village of Sukarara
Sukarara is a traditional weaving village where you can witness the intricate process of creating beautiful textiles. Learn about the age-old techniques and purchase unique handwoven fabrics as souvenirs.
29. Go Diving in the Gili Islands
The Gili Islands are renowned for their incredible diving opportunities. Explore the vibrant coral reefs, encounter turtles, sharks, and a variety of colorful fish, and discover the underwater wonders of Lombok.
30. Experience a Traditional Sasak Wedding Ceremony
If you’re lucky, you may have the chance to witness a traditional Sasak wedding ceremony during your visit to Lombok. This unique cultural experience offers a glimpse into the local traditions, rituals, and customs.
Read More : Best Islands to Visit in Indonesia
Lombok offers a wealth of experiences for travelers seeking natural beauty, cultural immersion, and adventure. From hiking to waterfalls and exploring traditional villages to relaxing on pristine beaches, there’s something for everyone in this Indonesian paradise. Whether you’re a nature lover, a history buff, or a food enthusiast, Lombok promises to captivate your senses and leave you with unforgettable memories. So, pack your bags and embark on a journey to discover the 30 best things to do in Lombok.