Leiria, a picturesque city in Portugal, is a hidden gem that offers a multitude of exciting activities for visitors. Whether you’re a history buff, a nature lover, or a food enthusiast, Leiria has something to offer for everyone. In this article, we have curated a list of the 30 best things to do in Leiria, ensuring that your visit to this enchanting city is nothing short of extraordinary.
- Best Things to Do in Leiria (Portugal)
- 1. Explore Leiria Castle
- 2. Wander through the Historic Center
- 3. Visit the Paper Mill Museum
- 4. Explore the Natural Park of Serra de Aire e Candeeiros
- 5. Indulge in Local Cuisine
- 6. Attend a Cultural Event
- 7. Relax at Praia da Vieira
- 8. Visit the Museum of Leiria
- 9. Explore the Pine Forest of Leiria
- 10. Take a Boat Trip on the Lis River
- 11. Visit the Church of São Pedro
- 12. Explore the Caves of Alvados
- 13. Discover the Castle of Porto de Mós
- 14. Visit the Monastery of Batalha
- 15. Explore the Beaches of Nazaré
- 16. Take a Day Trip to Óbidos
- 17. Visit the Shrine of Our Lady of Fatima
- 18. Explore the Castle of Almourol
- 19. Discover the City of Tomar
- 20. Visit the Sanctuary of Fátima
- 21. Explore the Castle of Leiria
- 22. Take a Wine Tasting Tour
- 23. Go Birdwatching at the Lagoa da Ervedeira
- 24. Visit the Castle of Alcobaça
- 25. Explore the Bussaco National Forest
- 26. Visit the Sanctuary of Nossa Senhora da Nazaré
- 27. Take a Bike Ride along the Ecopista do Liz
- 28. Visit the Castle of Leiria at Night
- 29. Explore the Historic Village of Monsanto
- 30. Enjoy a Sunset Picnic at Praia do Pedrógão
Best Things to Do in Leiria (Portugal)
1. Explore Leiria Castle
Start your journey by visiting the iconic Leiria Castle, which dates back to the 12th century. This majestic fortress offers breathtaking views of the city and the surrounding countryside. Don’t forget to take a leisurely stroll through the castle’s beautiful gardens.
2. Wander through the Historic Center
Take a leisurely walk through the historic center of Leiria and admire the charming old buildings and narrow streets. Stop by the Sé Cathedral, a stunning example of Gothic architecture.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Ponta Delgada (Portugal)
3. Visit the Paper Mill Museum
Learn about the history of papermaking in Leiria at the Paper Mill Museum. Discover the traditional techniques used to create paper and admire the ancient machinery on display.
4. Explore the Natural Park of Serra de Aire e Candeeiros
If you’re a nature lover, a visit to the Natural Park of Serra de Aire e Candeeiros is a must. This park is home to stunning limestone caves, hiking trails, and breathtaking viewpoints.
5. Indulge in Local Cuisine
No visit to Leiria is complete without sampling the local cuisine. Head to one of the traditional taverns and try the famous Leiria cheese, a creamy and delicious treat.
6. Attend a Cultural Event
Immerse yourself in the vibrant cultural scene of Leiria by attending one of the many events held throughout the year. From music festivals to art exhibitions, there’s always something happening in this lively city.
7. Relax at Praia da Vieira
Escape the city and spend a day relaxing at Praia da Vieira, a beautiful beach located just a short drive from Leiria. Enjoy sunbathing, swimming, or simply strolling along the golden sands.
8. Visit the Museum of Leiria
Discover the rich history and heritage of Leiria at the Museum of Leiria. The museum houses a vast collection of artifacts, including archaeological finds and works of art.
9. Explore the Pine Forest of Leiria
Take a peaceful walk through the Pine Forest of Leiria, a tranquil oasis located on the outskirts of the city. Enjoy the fresh air and admire the beautiful pine trees.
10. Take a Boat Trip on the Lis River
Experience the beauty of Leiria from a different perspective by taking a boat trip on the Lis River. Enjoy the peaceful surroundings as you glide along the water.
11. Visit the Church of São Pedro
Admire the stunning architecture of the Church of São Pedro, a beautiful church located in the heart of Leiria. Step inside and marvel at the intricate details.
12. Explore the Caves of Alvados
Embark on an underground adventure and explore the Caves of Alvados. Marvel at the impressive rock formations and learn about the geological history of the area.
13. Discover the Castle of Porto de Mós
Just a short drive from Leiria, you’ll find the Castle of Porto de Mós. Explore the medieval fortress and enjoy panoramic views of the surrounding countryside.
14. Visit the Monastery of Batalha
Located nearby, the Monastery of Batalha is a UNESCO World Heritage site that should not be missed. Admire the stunning Gothic architecture and learn about the monastery’s rich history.
15. Explore the Beaches of Nazaré
Head to the nearby town of Nazaré and spend a day exploring its beautiful beaches. Nazaré is known for its world-class surfing waves and charming seaside atmosphere.
16. Take a Day Trip to Óbidos
Plan a day trip to the medieval town of Óbidos, located just a short drive from Leiria. Explore the narrow streets, visit the castle, and indulge in the famous ginjinha, a cherry liqueur.
17. Visit the Shrine of Our Lady of Fatima
Pay a visit to the Shrine of Our Lady of Fatima, one of the most important Catholic pilgrimage sites in the world. Explore the basilica and attend a mass.
18. Explore the Castle of Almourol
Embark on a scenic drive and visit the Castle of Almourol, a medieval castle located on a small island in the middle of the Tagus River. Take a boat ride to reach the castle and enjoy the stunning views.
19. Discover the City of Tomar
Explore the historic city of Tomar and visit the Convent of Christ, a UNESCO World Heritage site. Marvel at the impressive architecture and learn about the Knights Templar.
20. Visit the Sanctuary of Fátima
Located nearby, the Sanctuary of Fátima is another important Catholic pilgrimage site. Attend a mass or simply take a moment to reflect in the peaceful surroundings.
21. Explore the Castle of Leiria
Don’t miss the opportunity to explore the Castle of Leiria itself. Climb to the top of the tower for panoramic views of the city and the surrounding landscape.
22. Take a Wine Tasting Tour
Indulge in the flavors of the region by taking a wine tasting tour. Visit one of the local wineries and sample the delicious wines produced in Leiria.
23. Go Birdwatching at the Lagoa da Ervedeira
If you’re a birdwatching enthusiast, make sure to visit the Lagoa da Ervedeira. This lagoon is home to a wide variety of bird species, making it a paradise for bird lovers.
24. Visit the Castle of Alcobaça
Located in the town of Alcobaça, the Castle of Alcobaça is another fascinating historical site worth exploring. Learn about the castle’s turbulent past and enjoy the panoramic views.
25. Explore the Bussaco National Forest
Escape to nature and explore the Bussaco National Forest. Take a leisurely walk through the lush greenery and discover the unique flora and fauna.
26. Visit the Sanctuary of Nossa Senhora da Nazaré
Located in Nazaré, the Sanctuary of Nossa Senhora da Nazaré is a popular pilgrimage site. Climb the stairs to reach the sanctuary and enjoy the stunning views of the ocean.
27. Take a Bike Ride along the Ecopista do Liz
Enjoy a scenic bike ride along the Ecopista do Liz, a converted railway track that offers beautiful views of the countryside. Rent a bike and explore at your own pace.
28. Visit the Castle of Leiria at Night
Experience the magic of the Castle of Leiria at night. The castle is beautifully illuminated, creating a romantic and enchanting atmosphere.
29. Explore the Historic Village of Monsanto
Plan a day trip to the historic village of Monsanto, known for its unique houses built among giant boulders. Explore the narrow streets and enjoy the panoramic views.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Agualva-Cacém (Portugal)
30. Enjoy a Sunset Picnic at Praia do Pedrógão
End your visit to Leiria with a romantic sunset picnic at Praia do Pedrógão. This beautiful beach is the perfect spot to relax and enjoy the stunning colors of the sunset.
With so many incredible things to do in Leiria, your visit to this charming city is sure to be unforgettable. Whether you’re exploring the historic sites, indulging in the local cuisine, or simply enjoying the natural beauty, Leiria has something for everyone. So pack your bags and get ready for an adventure in Leiria!