Leeuwarden, the capital of the province of Friesland in the Netherlands, is a city rich in history, culture, and natural beauty. With its picturesque canals, historic buildings, and vibrant atmosphere, there are plenty of things to see and do in this charming city. Whether you’re interested in art, history, or simply enjoying the local cuisine, Leeuwarden has something for everyone. In this article, we will explore the 30 best things to do in Leeuwarden.
- Best Things to Do in Leeuwarden (the Netherlands)
- 1. Visit the Oldehove
- 2. Explore the Fries Museum
- 3. Take a Canal Cruise
- 4. Wander around the Prinsentuin
- 5. Visit the Blokhuispoort
- 6. Discover the Fries Natuurmuseum
- 7. Enjoy the Leeuwarden City Walk
- 8. Admire the Stadhouderlijk Hof
- 9. Try Local Delicacies at the Leeuwarden Food Market
- 10. Visit the Princessehof Ceramics Museum
- 11. Explore the AquaZoo Friesland
- 12. Take a Bike Ride around the City
- 13. Visit the Cambuur Stadium
- 14. Explore the Bloemkampen
- 15. Discover the Eise Eisinga Planetarium
- 16. Visit the Farmers Market
- 17. Explore the Leeuwarder Bos
- 18. Learn about Mata Hari at the Friesland Provincial Library
- 19. Take a Boat Trip to the Wadden Islands
- 20. Visit the Bloemenmarkt
- 21. Explore the Deinum Windmill
- 22. Enjoy a Concert at the Neushoorn
- 23. Visit the Historisch Centrum Leeuwarden
- 24. Explore the Grote Kerk
- 25. Attend the Blokhuispoort Festival
- 26. Discover the Tresoar
- 27. Enjoy a Drink at the Waagplein
- 28. Visit the Frysk Letterkundich Museum
- 29. Explore the Sint Bonifatiuskerk
- 30. Take a Day Trip to the Woudagemaal
Best Things to Do in Leeuwarden (the Netherlands)
1. Visit the Oldehove
One of the most iconic landmarks in Leeuwarden is the Oldehove, a leaning tower that dates back to the 16th century. Climb to the top for panoramic views of the city.
2. Explore the Fries Museum
Learn about the history and culture of Friesland at the Fries Museum. The museum houses a collection of art, artifacts, and exhibitions that showcase the region’s rich heritage.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Le Tampon (Reunion, France)
3. Take a Canal Cruise
Experience the beauty of Leeuwarden from the water by taking a canal cruise. Sit back and relax as you glide through the city’s canals, admiring the historic buildings and charming scenery.
4. Wander around the Prinsentuin
Escape the hustle and bustle of the city and spend some time in the peaceful Prinsentuin. This beautiful park is the perfect place to relax, have a picnic, or simply enjoy a leisurely stroll.
5. Visit the Blokhuispoort
Explore the Blokhuispoort, a former prison that has been transformed into a cultural hotspot. The complex now houses art studios, shops, restaurants, and even a brewery.
6. Discover the Fries Natuurmuseum
Learn about the natural history of Friesland at the Fries Natuurmuseum. The museum features interactive exhibits and displays that showcase the region’s diverse flora and fauna.
7. Enjoy the Leeuwarden City Walk
Embark on a self-guided walking tour of Leeuwarden and discover the city’s hidden gems. The Leeuwarden City Walk takes you past historic buildings, charming streets, and beautiful parks.
8. Admire the Stadhouderlijk Hof
Visit the Stadhouderlijk Hof, a former palace that now serves as a museum and event venue. Explore the grand rooms and learn about the city’s royal history.
9. Try Local Delicacies at the Leeuwarden Food Market
Indulge in delicious local food at the Leeuwarden Food Market. This vibrant market offers a wide variety of fresh produce, snacks, and traditional Frisian dishes.
10. Visit the Princessehof Ceramics Museum
Discover the world of ceramics at the Princessehof Ceramics Museum. The museum showcases a collection of ceramics from around the world, including ancient pottery and contemporary art.
11. Explore the AquaZoo Friesland
Get up close and personal with marine life at the AquaZoo Friesland. This family-friendly zoo features a variety of aquatic animals, including seals, penguins, and otters.
12. Take a Bike Ride around the City
Rent a bike and explore Leeuwarden and its surrounding countryside. The city is known for its bike-friendly infrastructure, making it easy to navigate on two wheels.
13. Visit the Cambuur Stadium
Experience the excitement of a football match at the Cambuur Stadium. Cheer on the local team and soak up the lively atmosphere.
14. Explore the Bloemkampen
Take a walk through the Bloemkampen, a neighborhood known for its colorful houses and vibrant street art. Snap some photos and admire the creative murals.
15. Discover the Eise Eisinga Planetarium
Step into the world of astronomy at the Eise Eisinga Planetarium. This historic planetarium is the oldest functioning planetarium in the world.
16. Visit the Farmers Market
Sample fresh produce and local products at the Farmers Market. This weekly market is a great place to stock up on ingredients for a picnic or try some traditional Dutch treats.
17. Explore the Leeuwarder Bos
Escape to nature at the Leeuwarder Bos, a beautiful forest located just outside the city. Take a leisurely walk or bike ride through the wooded trails.
18. Learn about Mata Hari at the Friesland Provincial Library
Discover the fascinating life of Mata Hari, a famous Dutch exotic dancer and spy, at the Friesland Provincial Library. The library houses an exhibition dedicated to her life and career.
19. Take a Boat Trip to the Wadden Islands
Embark on a boat trip to the nearby Wadden Islands, a UNESCO World Heritage site. Explore the unique landscapes, go birdwatching, or simply relax on the sandy beaches.
20. Visit the Bloemenmarkt
Admire the beautiful flowers and plants at the Bloemenmarkt, Leeuwarden’s flower market. Browse the stalls and pick up a bouquet to brighten up your day.
21. Explore the Deinum Windmill
Learn about the history of windmills at the Deinum Windmill. Take a guided tour and discover how these iconic structures were used in the past.
22. Enjoy a Concert at the Neushoorn
Catch a live music performance at the Neushoorn, Leeuwarden’s premier music venue. The Neushoorn hosts a variety of concerts and events throughout the year.
23. Visit the Historisch Centrum Leeuwarden
Immerse yourself in the history of Leeuwarden at the Historisch Centrum Leeuwarden. The center features exhibitions, guided tours, and interactive displays.
24. Explore the Grote Kerk
Marvel at the stunning architecture of the Grote Kerk, Leeuwarden’s largest church. Take a guided tour and learn about the church’s rich history.
25. Attend the Blokhuispoort Festival
Experience the vibrant atmosphere of the Blokhuispoort Festival. This annual event features live music, art installations, and performances throughout the city.
26. Discover the Tresoar
Explore the Tresoar, the Frisian Historical and Literary Center. The center houses a vast collection of books, manuscripts, and archives that document the history of Friesland.
27. Enjoy a Drink at the Waagplein
Relax and soak up the lively atmosphere at the Waagplein, a popular square in the heart of Leeuwarden. Grab a drink at one of the many bars and cafes surrounding the square.
28. Visit the Frysk Letterkundich Museum
Learn about Frisian literature and language at the Frysk Letterkundich Museum. The museum showcases the works of Frisian writers and poets throughout history.
29. Explore the Sint Bonifatiuskerk
Admire the beautiful stained glass windows and intricate architecture of the Sint Bonifatiuskerk. Take a moment to reflect in this peaceful place of worship.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Valenciennes (France)
30. Take a Day Trip to the Woudagemaal
Visit the Woudagemaal, a UNESCO World Heritage site and the largest steam-powered pumping station in the world. Take a guided tour and learn about its importance in managing water levels.
With so many things to see and do, a visit to Leeuwarden is sure to be an unforgettable experience. Whether you’re a history buff, an art lover, or simply looking to relax and enjoy the local culture, this charming city has something for everyone. Plan your trip to Leeuwarden today and discover all that this hidden gem in the Netherlands has to offer.