Kingston, Ontario, Canada, is a city rich in history, culture, and natural beauty. Located on the eastern shores of Lake Ontario, Kingston offers a wide range of activities and attractions for visitors of all ages. Whether you’re a history buff, outdoor enthusiast, or food lover, there’s something for everyone in this charming city.
- Best Things to Do in Kingston (Ontario, Canada
- 1. Explore the Historic Fort Henry
- 2. Take a Stroll Along the Waterfront Pathway
- 3. Visit the Kingston Penitentiary
- 4. Explore the Kingston City Hall
- 5. Go for a Cruise on the St. Lawrence River
- 6. Visit the Bellevue House National Historic Site
- 7. Explore the Agnes Etherington Art Centre
- 8. Take a Trip to Wolfe Island
- 9. Visit the Murney Tower National Historic Site
- 10. Enjoy a Day at Kingston Mills
- 11. Discover the Marine Museum of the Great Lakes
- 12. Go for a Bike Ride along the K&P Trail
- 13. Visit the Kingston Public Market
- 14. Explore the Lemoine Point Conservation Area
- 15. Take a Tour of the Queen’s University Campus
- 16. Go for a Swim at Sandbanks Provincial Park
- 17. Explore the Kingston 1000 Islands Cruises
- 18. Visit the Kingston Frontenac Public Library
- 19. Go Ice Skating at Springer Market Square
- 20. Visit the MacLachlan Woodworking Museum
- 21. Enjoy Live Music at The Mansion
- 22. Take a Ghost Tour of Kingston
- 23. Visit the Pump House Steam Museum
- 24. Explore the Kingston Archaeological Centre
- 25. Go for a Hike in Frontenac Provincial Park
- 26. Visit the International Hockey Hall of Fame
- 27. Enjoy a Meal at a Local Restaurant
- 28. Attend a Performance at the Grand Theatre
- 29. Go Shopping in Downtown Kingston
- 30. Relax and Unwind at a Spa
Best Things to Do in Kingston (Ontario, Canada
1. Explore the Historic Fort Henry
Start your visit to Kingston by exploring the iconic Fort Henry. This National Historic Site offers guided tours, interactive exhibits, and live demonstrations that bring the history of Canada’s military to life. Don’t miss the breathtaking views of the city and Lake Ontario from the fort’s ramparts.
2. Take a Stroll Along the Waterfront Pathway
Enjoy a leisurely walk along the Waterfront Pathway, which stretches for miles along the shores of Lake Ontario. Take in the beautiful views, stop at one of the many parks along the way, and watch the boats sail by.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Castelo Branco (Portugal)
3. Visit the Kingston Penitentiary
Step inside one of Canada’s most notorious prisons at the Kingston Penitentiary. Take a guided tour and learn about the history of this maximum-security facility, which operated for over 180 years. It’s a fascinating and educational experience.
4. Explore the Kingston City Hall
Visit the historic Kingston City Hall, a beautiful limestone building that dates back to the 19th century. Take a guided tour to learn about the city’s history and admire the stunning architecture.
5. Go for a Cruise on the St. Lawrence River
Experience the beauty of the St. Lawrence River by taking a cruise. Choose from a variety of options, including sightseeing cruises, sunset cruises, and dinner cruises. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the stunning scenery.
6. Visit the Bellevue House National Historic Site
Step back in time at the Bellevue House National Historic Site, the former home of Canada’s first Prime Minister, Sir John A. Macdonald. Take a guided tour of the house and learn about Macdonald’s life and legacy.
7. Explore the Agnes Etherington Art Centre
Art enthusiasts will love the Agnes Etherington Art Centre, which houses a diverse collection of Canadian and international art. Explore the galleries and attend one of the many exhibitions and events.
8. Take a Trip to Wolfe Island
Hop on a ferry and take a trip to Wolfe Island, the largest of the Thousand Islands. Enjoy the peaceful atmosphere, go for a bike ride, or relax on one of the island’s beautiful beaches.
9. Visit the Murney Tower National Historic Site
Explore the Murney Tower National Historic Site, a Martello tower that dates back to the 19th century. Climb to the top for panoramic views of Kingston and the surrounding area.
10. Enjoy a Day at Kingston Mills
Spend a day at Kingston Mills, a historic site that features a series of locks on the Rideau Canal. Pack a picnic, go for a hike, or simply relax and watch the boats pass through the locks.
11. Discover the Marine Museum of the Great Lakes
Learn about the rich maritime history of the Great Lakes at the Marine Museum. Explore the exhibits, including historic vessels, ship models, and interactive displays.
12. Go for a Bike Ride along the K&P Trail
Get active and go for a bike ride along the K&P Trail, a scenic trail that stretches for over 15 kilometers. Enjoy the fresh air and beautiful views of the countryside.
13. Visit the Kingston Public Market
Experience the local culture at the Kingston Public Market, one of the oldest markets in Ontario. Browse the stalls, sample fresh produce, and pick up unique souvenirs.
14. Explore the Lemoine Point Conservation Area
Escape the city and explore the Lemoine Point Conservation Area. This beautiful park offers walking trails, picnic areas, and stunning views of Lake Ontario.
15. Take a Tour of the Queen’s University Campus
Visit the beautiful Queen’s University campus and take a guided tour. Admire the historic buildings, lush gardens, and vibrant student life.
16. Go for a Swim at Sandbanks Provincial Park
Head to Sandbanks Provincial Park and spend a day at one of the world’s largest freshwater sand dune systems. Swim in the crystal-clear waters, relax on the beach, or explore the hiking trails.
17. Explore the Kingston 1000 Islands Cruises
Embark on a scenic cruise with Kingston 1000 Islands Cruises. Choose from a variety of tours, including a trip to Boldt Castle or a sunset cruise.
18. Visit the Kingston Frontenac Public Library
Discover the rich literary history of Kingston at the Kingston Frontenac Public Library. Browse the extensive collection, attend a book reading, or join a writing workshop.
19. Go Ice Skating at Springer Market Square
During the winter months, lace up your skates and go ice skating at Springer Market Square. Enjoy the festive atmosphere and glide across the rink surrounded by historic buildings.
20. Visit the MacLachlan Woodworking Museum
Learn about the art of woodworking at the MacLachlan Woodworking Museum. Explore the exhibits, watch demonstrations, and try your hand at woodworking.
21. Enjoy Live Music at The Mansion
Catch a live music performance at The Mansion, a popular venue in Kingston. From rock and blues to jazz and folk, there’s always something happening at this vibrant music venue.
22. Take a Ghost Tour of Kingston
Experience the spooky side of Kingston with a ghost tour. Explore the city’s haunted buildings and listen to chilling stories of paranormal activity.
23. Visit the Pump House Steam Museum
Discover the history of steam power at the Pump House Steam Museum. Learn about the role of steam engines in the development of Kingston and see a working steam engine in action.
24. Explore the Kingston Archaeological Centre
Learn about Kingston’s archaeological past at the Kingston Archaeological Centre. Explore the exhibits, participate in a dig, and uncover the city’s hidden history.
25. Go for a Hike in Frontenac Provincial Park
Escape to nature and go for a hike in Frontenac Provincial Park. This vast wilderness area offers a variety of trails for all skill levels, as well as camping and wildlife viewing opportunities.
26. Visit the International Hockey Hall of Fame
Pay homage to Canada’s national sport at the International Hockey Hall of Fame. Explore the exhibits, learn about the history of hockey, and see memorabilia from some of the greatest players.
27. Enjoy a Meal at a Local Restaurant
Indulge in the culinary delights of Kingston at one of the many local restaurants. From fine dining to casual eateries, there’s something to satisfy every palate.
28. Attend a Performance at the Grand Theatre
Experience the vibrant arts scene of Kingston by attending a performance at the Grand Theatre. From plays and musicals to concerts and dance performances, there’s always something happening on stage.
29. Go Shopping in Downtown Kingston
Explore the unique shops and boutiques of downtown Kingston. From fashion and home decor to artisanal goods and souvenirs, you’ll find something special to take home.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Évora (Portugal)
30. Relax and Unwind at a Spa
Treat yourself to a day of pampering at one of Kingston’s spas. Enjoy a massage, facial, or body treatment and leave feeling rejuvenated and refreshed.
With so many things to see and do, Kingston, Ontario, Canada, is a must-visit destination. Whether you’re interested in history, outdoor activities, or simply enjoying the city’s charm, there’s something for everyone in this beautiful city.