Hungary, a beautiful country located in Central Europe, is known for its rich history, stunning architecture, and vibrant culture. From the bustling capital city of Budapest to the charming countryside and picturesque towns, Hungary has something to offer every traveler. In this article, we will explore the 30 best things to do in Hungary, ensuring you have an unforgettable experience in this fascinating country.
- Best Things to Do in Hungary
- 1. Explore the Buda Castle
- 2. Take a Danube River Cruise
- 3. Visit the Hungarian Parliament Building
- 4. Relax in the Széchenyi Thermal Baths
- 5. Discover the Fisherman’s Bastion
- 6. Stroll along the Danube Promenade
- 7. Explore the Ruin Bars
- 8. Visit the Hungarian State Opera House
- 9. Sample Hungarian Cuisine
- 10. Explore the Historic Town of Eger
- 11. Take a Dip in Lake Balaton
- 12. Discover the Caves of Aggtelek Karst
- 13. Visit the Wine Region of Tokaj
- 14. Explore the Historic Town of Pécs
- 15. Visit the Hortobágy National Park
- 16. Marvel at the Esztergom Basilica
- 17. Discover the Baradla Cave
- 18. Explore the Tihany Peninsula
- 19. Visit the Hungarian Open Air Museum
- 20. Discover the Castle District in Pécs
- 21. Take a Boat Trip on Lake Hévíz
- 22. Visit the Hungarian National Museum
- 23. Explore the Esterházy Palace
- 24. Take a Wine Tasting Tour in Villány
- 25. Visit the Great Synagogue
- 26. Discover the Gödöllő Palace
- 27. Explore the Lillafüred Waterfall
- 28. Take a Horseback Riding Tour in the Puszta
- 29. Visit the Hungarian Railway Museum
- 30. Relax in the Balatonfüred Promenade
Best Things to Do in Hungary
1. Explore the Buda Castle
Start your journey in Budapest by visiting the iconic Buda Castle. This historic palace complex offers breathtaking views of the city and is home to several museums, including the Hungarian National Gallery.
2. Take a Danube River Cruise
Embark on a relaxing Danube River cruise and admire the stunning sights of Budapest from the water. Enjoy the scenic beauty of the city’s famous landmarks, such as the Parliament Building and the Chain Bridge.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Loures (Portugal)
3. Visit the Hungarian Parliament Building
A visit to Hungary would not be complete without exploring the magnificent Hungarian Parliament Building. Marvel at its Gothic Revival architecture and take a guided tour to learn about the country’s political history.
4. Relax in the Széchenyi Thermal Baths
Indulge in some relaxation at the Széchenyi Thermal Baths in Budapest. These thermal baths, with their soothing hot springs, are the perfect place to unwind and rejuvenate.
5. Discover the Fisherman’s Bastion
Head to the Fisherman’s Bastion, a fairy-tale-like fortress located on the Buda side of Budapest. Admire the panoramic views of the city and explore the seven towers, each representing one of the seven Hungarian tribes that settled in the Carpathian Basin.
6. Stroll along the Danube Promenade
Take a leisurely walk along the Danube Promenade in Budapest and soak in the vibrant atmosphere. Admire the beautiful architecture, street performers, and the famous Shoes on the Danube Bank memorial.
7. Explore the Ruin Bars
Experience Budapest’s unique nightlife by visiting the ruin bars. These quirky bars are located in abandoned buildings and courtyards, offering a one-of-a-kind atmosphere with live music, art installations, and delicious drinks.
8. Visit the Hungarian State Opera House
Architecture enthusiasts should not miss a visit to the Hungarian State Opera House in Budapest. Admire the stunning Neo-Renaissance building and, if you’re lucky, catch a world-class opera or ballet performance.
9. Sample Hungarian Cuisine
Treat your taste buds to the flavors of Hungary by sampling the country’s delicious cuisine. Don’t miss out on traditional dishes like goulash, chimney cake, and lángos.
10. Explore the Historic Town of Eger
Venture outside of Budapest and visit the historic town of Eger. Explore the charming Baroque architecture, visit the famous Eger Castle, and indulge in the local wine culture.
11. Take a Dip in Lake Balaton
Escape the city and head to Lake Balaton, the largest lake in Central Europe. Enjoy swimming, sunbathing, and water sports, or simply relax on the lake’s picturesque beaches.
12. Discover the Caves of Aggtelek Karst
Explore the fascinating underground world of the Aggtelek Karst caves. Take a guided tour and marvel at the stunning stalactite and stalagmite formations.
13. Visit the Wine Region of Tokaj
Wine lovers should not miss a visit to the Tokaj wine region. Known for its sweet dessert wines, Tokaj offers breathtaking vineyard landscapes and the opportunity to taste some of Hungary’s finest wines.
14. Explore the Historic Town of Pécs
Discover the rich history and cultural heritage of Pécs, a charming town in southern Hungary. Visit the UNESCO-listed Early Christian Necropolis and explore the stunning architecture of the Pécs Cathedral.
15. Visit the Hortobágy National Park
Nature enthusiasts should head to the Hortobágy National Park, the largest protected area in Hungary. Explore the vast grasslands, spot unique bird species, and learn about traditional Hungarian shepherding.
16. Marvel at the Esztergom Basilica
Visit the Esztergom Basilica, the largest church in Hungary and a prominent symbol of the country’s Catholic heritage. Admire the grandeur of the neoclassical architecture and enjoy the panoramic views from the dome.
17. Discover the Baradla Cave
Located in the Aggtelek National Park, the Baradla Cave is a must-visit for cave enthusiasts. Take a guided tour and marvel at the impressive limestone formations and underground rivers.
18. Explore the Tihany Peninsula
Take a trip to the Tihany Peninsula, situated on Lake Balaton. Explore the charming village, visit the Benedictine Abbey, and enjoy the stunning views of the lake.
19. Visit the Hungarian Open Air Museum
Step back in time at the Hungarian Open Air Museum, located in Szentendre. Explore the traditional Hungarian village and learn about the country’s rural heritage.
20. Discover the Castle District in Pécs
Explore the Castle District in Pécs and immerse yourself in the town’s medieval atmosphere. Visit the Pasha Qasim Mosque, the Zsolnay Cultural Quarter, and enjoy panoramic views from the Castle Walls.
21. Take a Boat Trip on Lake Hévíz
Experience the healing properties of Lake Hévíz, the largest thermal lake in Europe. Take a boat trip on the lake and enjoy the warm, mineral-rich waters.
22. Visit the Hungarian National Museum
Learn about Hungary’s fascinating history at the Hungarian National Museum in Budapest. Explore the extensive collection of artifacts, including the crown jewels of Hungary.
23. Explore the Esterházy Palace
Visit the Esterházy Palace in Fertőd, a magnificent Baroque palace often referred to as the “Hungarian Versailles.” Explore the opulent interiors and stroll through the beautiful gardens.
24. Take a Wine Tasting Tour in Villány
Embark on a wine tasting tour in Villány, one of Hungary’s premier wine regions. Sample a variety of red and white wines, and learn about the winemaking process.
25. Visit the Great Synagogue
Explore the Great Synagogue in Budapest, the largest synagogue in Europe and a significant symbol of Hungary’s Jewish heritage. Take a guided tour and learn about the history and culture of Hungarian Jews.
26. Discover the Gödöllő Palace
Visit the Gödöllő Palace, a stunning Baroque palace located just outside of Budapest. Explore the lavish interiors and learn about the life of Empress Elisabeth of Austria, also known as Sisi.
27. Explore the Lillafüred Waterfall
Escape to the picturesque town of Lillafüred and visit the stunning Lillafüred Waterfall. Enjoy a leisurely walk through the surrounding forest and marvel at the natural beauty of the area.
28. Take a Horseback Riding Tour in the Puszta
Experience the traditional Hungarian way of life by taking a horseback riding tour in the Puszta. Explore the vast plains, watch a thrilling horse show, and enjoy a traditional Hungarian meal.
29. Visit the Hungarian Railway Museum
Train enthusiasts will love a visit to the Hungarian Railway Museum in Budapest. Explore the collection of historic locomotives and carriages and learn about the country’s railway history.
30. Relax in the Balatonfüred Promenade
End your Hungarian adventure with a relaxing stroll along the Balatonfüred Promenade. Enjoy the beautiful views of Lake Balaton, visit the charming shops and cafes, and savor a delicious ice cream.
Hungary offers a wide range of attractions and activities for every type of traveler. Whether you’re interested in history, culture, nature, or simply want to indulge in delicious cuisine and wine, Hungary has it all. So, pack your bags and get ready to explore the 30 best things to do in Hungary for an unforgettable experience in this enchanting country.