Gatineau, located in the province of Quebec, Canada, is a vibrant city with a rich cultural heritage and stunning natural beauty. Whether you’re a history buff, an outdoor enthusiast, or a food lover, Gatineau has something to offer for everyone. Here are the 30 best things to do in Gatineau:
- Best Things to Do in Gatineau (Canada)
- 1. Explore the Canadian Museum of History
- 2. Take a Walk in Gatineau Park
- 3. Visit the Parliament of Canada
- 4. Enjoy the Views from Champlain Lookout
- 5. Discover the Canadian Museum of Nature
- 6. Take a Bike Ride along the Ottawa River
- 7. Visit the Casino du Lac-Leamy
- 8. Explore the Canadian Museum of Contemporary Photography
- 9. Go on a Haunted Walk
- 10. Visit the Canadian Museum of War
- 11. Take a Boat Tour on the Ottawa River
- 12. Explore the Gatineau Hot Air Balloon Festival
- 13. Visit the Mackenzie King Estate
- 14. Go on a Wildlife Safari
- 15. Enjoy Winter Activities at Jacques-Cartier Park
- 16. Explore the ByWard Market
- 17. Take a Guided Tour of the Royal Canadian Mint
- 18. Visit the Canadian Museum of Aviation and Space
- 19. Go on a Food Tour
- 20. Explore the Gatineau Loppet
- 21. Visit the Canadian Museum of Agriculture and Food
- 22. Take a Segway Tour of Gatineau
- 23. Attend a Performance at the National Arts Centre
- 24. Visit the Gatineau Museum of History and Art
- 25. Go on a Wine Tasting Tour
- 26. Explore the Gatineau Sports Centre
- 27. Take a Guided Tour of the Gatineau Hydroelectric Power Station
- 28. Visit the Gatineau Museum of Civilization
- 29. Go on a Helicopter Tour
- 30. Relax at Nordik Spa-Nature
Best Things to Do in Gatineau (Canada)
1. Explore the Canadian Museum of History
The Canadian Museum of History is a must-visit attraction in Gatineau. It is the most visited museum in Canada and showcases the country’s history and culture through interactive exhibits and artifacts.
2. Take a Walk in Gatineau Park
Gatineau Park is a paradise for nature lovers. Spanning over 361 square kilometers, the park offers numerous hiking trails, scenic lookouts, and picnic areas. Don’t forget to visit the iconic Pink Lake and enjoy the breathtaking views.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Santo Tirso (Portugal)
3. Visit the Parliament of Canada
Gatineau is just across the river from Ottawa, the capital of Canada. Take a tour of the Parliament of Canada and learn about the country’s political history and governance.
4. Enjoy the Views from Champlain Lookout
Champlain Lookout is one of the best spots in Gatineau Park to enjoy panoramic views of the Ottawa Valley. Pack a picnic and spend a relaxing afternoon taking in the beauty of the surrounding landscape.
5. Discover the Canadian Museum of Nature
The Canadian Museum of Nature is another must-visit attraction in Gatineau. Explore the exhibits on natural history, including dinosaurs, fossils, and wildlife.
6. Take a Bike Ride along the Ottawa River
The Ottawa River offers a scenic backdrop for a leisurely bike ride. Rent a bike and explore the riverside trails, stopping at the various parks and attractions along the way.
7. Visit the Casino du Lac-Leamy
If you’re feeling lucky, head to the Casino du Lac-Leamy. Try your hand at the slot machines or enjoy a game of poker or blackjack. The casino also hosts live entertainment shows.
8. Explore the Canadian Museum of Contemporary Photography
Art enthusiasts will love the Canadian Museum of Contemporary Photography. The museum showcases a diverse collection of contemporary photography from Canadian and international artists.
9. Go on a Haunted Walk
Experience the spooky side of Gatineau with a haunted walk. Join a guided tour and learn about the city’s haunted history and paranormal activity.
10. Visit the Canadian Museum of War
The Canadian Museum of War is a must-visit for history buffs. Explore the exhibits on Canada’s military history, including artifacts from various wars and conflicts.
11. Take a Boat Tour on the Ottawa River
Discover the beauty of the Ottawa River with a boat tour. Cruise along the river and enjoy the scenic views of the city skyline and surrounding nature.
12. Explore the Gatineau Hot Air Balloon Festival
If you’re visiting Gatineau in September, don’t miss the Gatineau Hot Air Balloon Festival. Watch the colorful balloons take flight and enjoy live music, food, and entertainment.
13. Visit the Mackenzie King Estate
Explore the Mackenzie King Estate, the former summer residence of Canada’s longest-serving Prime Minister, William Lyon Mackenzie King. Take a guided tour of the estate and learn about its history and beautiful gardens.
14. Go on a Wildlife Safari
Embark on a wildlife safari at Parc Omega. Drive through the park and encounter a variety of animals, including deer, bears, wolves, and bison.
15. Enjoy Winter Activities at Jacques-Cartier Park
During the winter months, Jacques-Cartier Park transforms into a winter wonderland. Enjoy activities such as ice skating, snowshoeing, and tubing.
16. Explore the ByWard Market
Head across the river to Ottawa and explore the vibrant ByWard Market. Browse through the stalls selling fresh produce, artisanal products, and souvenirs.
17. Take a Guided Tour of the Royal Canadian Mint
Learn about the process of coin production at the Royal Canadian Mint. Take a guided tour and see the state-of-the-art facilities where coins are made.
18. Visit the Canadian Museum of Aviation and Space
Aviation enthusiasts will enjoy a visit to the Canadian Museum of Aviation and Space. Explore the exhibits on the history of flight and see vintage aircraft.
19. Go on a Food Tour
Discover the culinary delights of Gatineau on a food tour. Sample local specialties and learn about the city’s food culture from knowledgeable guides.
20. Explore the Gatineau Loppet
If you’re visiting Gatineau in February, don’t miss the Gatineau Loppet. It is one of North America’s largest cross-country ski events and attracts participants from around the world.
21. Visit the Canadian Museum of Agriculture and Food
Learn about Canada’s agricultural heritage at the Canadian Museum of Agriculture and Food. Explore the exhibits on farming practices, livestock, and food production.
22. Take a Segway Tour of Gatineau
Explore Gatineau in a fun and unique way with a Segway tour. Glide through the city’s streets and parks while learning about its history and landmarks.
23. Attend a Performance at the National Arts Centre
Experience the vibrant arts scene in Gatineau by attending a performance at the National Arts Centre. Enjoy live music, theater, and dance shows.
24. Visit the Gatineau Museum of History and Art
Discover the local history and art scene at the Gatineau Museum of History and Art. The museum features exhibits on the region’s history, as well as contemporary art exhibitions.
25. Go on a Wine Tasting Tour
Explore the local wineries in the Gatineau region on a wine tasting tour. Sample a variety of wines and learn about the wine-making process.
26. Explore the Gatineau Sports Centre
If you’re a sports enthusiast, visit the Gatineau Sports Centre. The center offers a range of sports facilities, including ice rinks, swimming pools, and soccer fields.
27. Take a Guided Tour of the Gatineau Hydroelectric Power Station
Learn about the production of hydroelectric power at the Gatineau Hydroelectric Power Station. Take a guided tour and see the turbines in action.
28. Visit the Gatineau Museum of Civilization
Explore the history and culture of Gatineau at the Gatineau Museum of Civilization. The museum features exhibits on the region’s Indigenous heritage and early settlers.
29. Go on a Helicopter Tour
Get a bird’s-eye view of Gatineau with a helicopter tour. Fly over the city and enjoy stunning aerial views of the landscape.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Hyères (France)
30. Relax at Nordik Spa-Nature
End your visit to Gatineau with a relaxing day at Nordik Spa-Nature. Indulge in the spa’s thermal baths, saunas, and relaxation areas.
With so many incredible things to do in Gatineau, you’ll never be bored. Whether you’re exploring the city’s museums, enjoying outdoor activities, or immersing yourself in the local culture, Gatineau has something for everyone.