Ferrara, a charming city in northern Italy, is known for its rich history, stunning architecture, and vibrant culture. With so much to offer, it can be overwhelming to decide what to do during your visit. To help you make the most of your time in Ferrara, we have compiled a list of the 30 best things to do in this beautiful city.
- Best Things to Do in Ferrara (Italy)
- 1. Explore the Castello Estense
- 2. Visit the Cathedral of San Giorgio
- 3. Wander through the Historic Center
- 4. Explore the Palazzo dei Diamanti
- 5. Admire the Este Castle Gardens
- 6. Discover the Museo del Duomo
- 7. Take a Bike Ride along the City Walls
- 8. Visit the Jewish Cemetery
- 9. Enjoy a Gondola Ride on the Po River
- 10. Sample Local Delicacies at the Mercato Coperto
- 11. Visit the Monastery of San Antonio in Polesine
- 12. Explore the Museo Archeologico Nazionale
- 13. Attend a Concert at the Teatro Comunale
- 14. Visit the Casa Romei
- 15. Take a Boat Tour of the Po Delta
- 16. Explore the Museo del Risorgimento e della Resistenza
- 17. Visit the Palazzo Schifanoia
- 18. Discover the Botanical Garden
- 19. Attend the Palio di Ferrara
- 20. Explore the Museo della Cattedrale
- 21. Visit the Museo del Risorgimento
- 22. Take a Cooking Class
- 23. Explore the Po Delta Park
- 24. Visit the Museo del Medioevo e Rinascimento
- 25. Attend the Ferrara Buskers Festival
- 26. Explore the Museo della Città
- 27. Take a Day Trip to Bologna
- 28. Visit the Museo del Teatro
- 29. Attend the Ferrara Balloons Festival
- 30. Enjoy a Gelato at Gelateria K2
Best Things to Do in Ferrara (Italy)
1. Explore the Castello Estense
Start your journey in Ferrara by visiting the iconic Castello Estense. This medieval castle is a symbol of power and authority and offers a fascinating glimpse into the city’s past.
2. Visit the Cathedral of San Giorgio
The Cathedral of San Giorgio is a magnificent example of Romanesque architecture. Take a moment to admire the intricate details and beautiful stained glass windows.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Esmoriz (Portugal)
3. Wander through the Historic Center
Take a leisurely stroll through Ferrara’s Historic Center, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Marvel at the well-preserved Renaissance buildings and charming cobblestone streets.
4. Explore the Palazzo dei Diamanti
The Palazzo dei Diamanti is a must-visit for art lovers. This stunning palace houses the National Art Gallery, which features works by renowned artists such as Tintoretto and Titian.
5. Admire the Este Castle Gardens
Escape the hustle and bustle of the city and relax in the tranquil Este Castle Gardens. Enjoy a picnic or simply take a leisurely walk through the beautifully landscaped grounds.
6. Discover the Museo del Duomo
Learn more about Ferrara’s religious history at the Museo del Duomo. This museum houses a collection of religious artifacts and artworks.
7. Take a Bike Ride along the City Walls
Rent a bike and explore Ferrara’s ancient city walls. This unique experience allows you to see the city from a different perspective while enjoying some exercise.
8. Visit the Jewish Cemetery
Pay your respects at the Jewish Cemetery, a solemn reminder of Ferrara’s Jewish heritage. Take a moment to reflect on the city’s history and the lives of those who came before.
9. Enjoy a Gondola Ride on the Po River
Experience the romance of Venice with a gondola ride on the Po River. Sit back, relax, and take in the picturesque views of Ferrara’s waterfront.
10. Sample Local Delicacies at the Mercato Coperto
Indulge your taste buds at the Mercato Coperto, Ferrara’s covered market. Try local specialties such as cappellacci di zucca (pumpkin-filled pasta) and salama da sugo (a cured meat dish).
11. Visit the Monastery of San Antonio in Polesine
Take a short trip outside of Ferrara to visit the Monastery of San Antonio in Polesine. This peaceful retreat is home to beautiful gardens and a stunning church.
12. Explore the Museo Archeologico Nazionale
Discover Ferrara’s ancient past at the Museo Archeologico Nazionale. This museum showcases artifacts from the city’s Etruscan and Roman periods.
13. Attend a Concert at the Teatro Comunale
Immerse yourself in the vibrant arts scene of Ferrara by attending a concert at the Teatro Comunale. This historic theater hosts performances by world-class musicians and artists.
14. Visit the Casa Romei
Step back in time at the Casa Romei, a beautifully preserved medieval mansion. Explore the elegant rooms and learn about the daily life of the Renaissance nobility.
15. Take a Boat Tour of the Po Delta
Embark on a boat tour of the Po Delta and discover the unique flora and fauna of this UNESCO Biosphere Reserve. Keep an eye out for rare bird species and enjoy the peaceful atmosphere.
16. Explore the Museo del Risorgimento e della Resistenza
Learn about Italy’s struggle for independence and resistance during World War II at the Museo del Risorgimento e della Resistenza. This museum provides a fascinating insight into Ferrara’s history.
17. Visit the Palazzo Schifanoia
The Palazzo Schifanoia is a hidden gem in Ferrara. Admire the beautiful frescoes and intricate decorations that adorn the palace’s walls.
18. Discover the Botanical Garden
Escape to nature at the Botanical Garden of Ferrara. This peaceful oasis is home to a wide variety of plant species and offers a serene setting for a leisurely walk.
19. Attend the Palio di Ferrara
If you’re visiting Ferrara in May, don’t miss the Palio di Ferrara. This historic horse race is a thrilling spectacle that showcases the city’s medieval traditions.
20. Explore the Museo della Cattedrale
Discover the art and history of Ferrara’s cathedral at the Museo della Cattedrale. Admire the stunning religious artworks and learn about the cathedral’s significance.
21. Visit the Museo del Risorgimento
Learn about Italy’s struggle for independence at the Museo del Risorgimento. This museum houses a collection of artifacts and documents from the Risorgimento period.
22. Take a Cooking Class
Immerse yourself in Italian cuisine by taking a cooking class in Ferrara. Learn how to make traditional dishes and enjoy a delicious meal at the end of the class.
23. Explore the Po Delta Park
Embark on a nature adventure in the Po Delta Park. Go hiking, birdwatching, or simply enjoy the peaceful surroundings of this stunning natural reserve.
24. Visit the Museo del Medioevo e Rinascimento
Learn about Ferrara’s medieval and Renaissance history at the Museo del Medioevo e Rinascimento. This museum showcases artifacts and artworks from this fascinating period.
25. Attend the Ferrara Buskers Festival
If you’re visiting Ferrara in August, don’t miss the Ferrara Buskers Festival. This international street music festival brings the city to life with captivating performances.
26. Explore the Museo della Città
Discover the history and culture of Ferrara at the Museo della Città. This museum offers a comprehensive overview of the city’s past through its collection of artifacts and artworks.
27. Take a Day Trip to Bologna
While in Ferrara, take a day trip to the nearby city of Bologna. Explore its historic center, visit the famous Two Towers, and indulge in some delicious Bolognese cuisine.
28. Visit the Museo del Teatro
Explore the world of theater at the Museo del Teatro. This museum showcases costumes, props, and memorabilia from Ferrara’s rich theatrical history.
29. Attend the Ferrara Balloons Festival
If you’re visiting Ferrara in September, don’t miss the Ferrara Balloons Festival. Marvel at the colorful hot air balloons as they fill the sky during this enchanting event.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Montbéliard (France)
30. Enjoy a Gelato at Gelateria K2
End your visit to Ferrara on a sweet note by enjoying a gelato at Gelateria K2. Choose from a wide variety of flavors and savor this classic Italian treat.
With so many incredible things to do in Ferrara, you’re sure to have an unforgettable experience. Whether you’re exploring its historic sites, indulging in local cuisine, or immersing yourself in its vibrant culture, Ferrara has something for everyone.