Welcome to Covilhã, a hidden gem nestled in the heart of Portugal. This picturesque city offers a wide range of activities and attractions that will surely captivate your senses. Whether you’re a nature lover, history enthusiast, or simply looking for some fun, Covilhã has something for everyone. In this article, we’ve compiled a list of the 30 best things to do in Covilhã to help you make the most of your visit.
- Best Things to Do in Covilhã (Portugal)
- 1. Visit the Historic University of Beira Interior
- 2. Take a Cable Car Ride to the Covão dos Conchos
- 3. Explore the Historic Center of Covilhã
- 4. Discover the Wool Industry Museum
- 5. Hike to the Top of Torre
- 6. Visit the Covilhã Art Museum
- 7. Explore the Natural Park of Serra da Estrela
- 8. Try the Local Cuisine
- 9. Visit the Covilhã Municipal Market
- 10. Take a Day Trip to Belmonte
- 11. Explore the Covilhã City Park
- 12. Visit the Sacred Art Museum of Covilhã
- 13. Attend a Traditional Fado Performance
- 14. Visit the Covilhã Municipal Library
- 15. Explore the Historic Village of Sortelha
- 16. Take a Guided Tour of the New Handicrafts Center
- 17. Visit the Museum of Sacred Art of Belmonte
- 18. Explore the Covilhã Municipal Garden
- 19. Attend the Wool Festival
- 20. Visit the Covilhã Cultural Center
- 21. Take a Scenic Drive through the Zêzere Valley
- 22. Explore the Cova da Beira Wine Region
- 23. Attend a Traditional Festival
- 24. Visit the Church of Santa Maria
- 25. Take a Boat Trip on the Zêzere River
- 26. Explore the Historic Village of Piódão
- 27. Visit the Museum of Sacred Art of Covilhã
- 28. Take a Guided Tour of the Covilhã Wool Factory
- 29. Explore the Historic Village of Monsanto
- 30. Relax at the Covilhã Thermal Spa
Best Things to Do in Covilhã (Portugal)
1. Visit the Historic University of Beira Interior
Start your journey by exploring the historic University of Beira Interior. This prestigious institution dates back to 1979 and is renowned for its stunning modern architecture. Take a stroll through the campus and admire the beautiful surroundings.
2. Take a Cable Car Ride to the Covão dos Conchos
One of the most breathtaking experiences in Covilhã is taking a cable car ride to the Covão dos Conchos. This man-made lake is nestled in the Serra da Estrela mountains and offers stunning panoramic views.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Almada (Portugal)
3. Explore the Historic Center of Covilhã
Take a walk through the charming streets of the historic center of Covilhã. Admire the traditional Portuguese architecture and visit the local shops and cafes.
4. Discover the Wool Industry Museum
Covilhã has a rich history in the wool industry, and the Wool Industry Museum is the perfect place to learn about it. Explore the exhibits and see how this industry has shaped the city.
5. Hike to the Top of Torre
If you’re up for a challenge, hike to the top of Torre, the highest peak in mainland Portugal. The views from the summit are absolutely breathtaking and worth the effort.
6. Visit the Covilhã Art Museum
Art enthusiasts will love the Covilhã Art Museum. This contemporary art museum showcases works from local and international artists.
7. Explore the Natural Park of Serra da Estrela
Escape the city and immerse yourself in the stunning natural beauty of the Serra da Estrela. This natural park offers a wide range of outdoor activities, from hiking and cycling to skiing and snowboarding in the winter.
8. Try the Local Cuisine
No visit to Covilhã is complete without trying the local cuisine. Sample traditional dishes such as “chanfana” (goat stew) and “queijo da serra” (mountain cheese) at one of the many local restaurants.
9. Visit the Covilhã Municipal Market
Experience the vibrant atmosphere of the Covilhã Municipal Market. Browse through the stalls and discover fresh produce, local handicrafts, and much more.
10. Take a Day Trip to Belmonte
Located just a short drive from Covilhã, Belmonte is a charming town with a rich Jewish heritage. Visit the Belmonte Jewish Museum and explore the historic Jewish quarter.
11. Explore the Covilhã City Park
Enjoy a leisurely stroll or have a picnic at the Covilhã City Park. This beautiful park is the perfect place to relax and unwind.
12. Visit the Sacred Art Museum of Covilhã
Discover a collection of religious art at the Sacred Art Museum of Covilhã. Admire the intricately carved sculptures and beautiful paintings.
13. Attend a Traditional Fado Performance
Immerse yourself in the soulful sounds of Fado, a traditional Portuguese music genre. Check out local venues for live performances.
14. Visit the Covilhã Municipal Library
If you’re a book lover, don’t miss the Covilhã Municipal Library. This charming library offers a wide selection of books and a peaceful atmosphere.
15. Explore the Historic Village of Sortelha
Step back in time and explore the historic village of Sortelha. Wander through the medieval streets and admire the well-preserved castle.
16. Take a Guided Tour of the New Handicrafts Center
Learn about the traditional handicrafts of Covilhã at the New Handicrafts Center. Take a guided tour and see local artisans at work.
17. Visit the Museum of Sacred Art of Belmonte
Located in Belmonte, this museum houses a collection of religious artifacts and artworks. Explore the exhibits and learn about the region’s religious history.
18. Explore the Covilhã Municipal Garden
Take a leisurely stroll through the Covilhã Municipal Garden and enjoy the beautiful flowers and peaceful atmosphere.
19. Attend the Wool Festival
If you’re visiting Covilhã in July, don’t miss the annual Wool Festival. This lively event celebrates the city’s wool industry with exhibitions, workshops, and live performances.
20. Visit the Covilhã Cultural Center
Experience the vibrant arts and culture scene of Covilhã at the Covilhã Cultural Center. Check out the schedule for theater performances, concerts, and art exhibitions.
21. Take a Scenic Drive through the Zêzere Valley
Embark on a scenic drive through the picturesque Zêzere Valley. Marvel at the stunning landscapes and stop at viewpoints along the way.
22. Explore the Cova da Beira Wine Region
Wine enthusiasts will enjoy exploring the Cova da Beira wine region. Visit local wineries and indulge in wine tastings.
23. Attend a Traditional Festival
Experience the lively atmosphere of a traditional festival in Covilhã. From religious processions to music and dance performances, there’s always something happening in the city.
24. Visit the Church of Santa Maria
Admire the beautiful architecture of the Church of Santa Maria. Step inside and marvel at the ornate decorations.
25. Take a Boat Trip on the Zêzere River
Enjoy a relaxing boat trip on the Zêzere River. Take in the scenic views and unwind as you cruise along the tranquil waters.
26. Explore the Historic Village of Piódão
Discover the charm of the historic village of Piódão. This secluded village is known for its unique slate houses and picturesque setting.
27. Visit the Museum of Sacred Art of Covilhã
Learn about the religious art of Covilhã at the Museum of Sacred Art. Admire the collection of sculptures, paintings, and religious artifacts.
28. Take a Guided Tour of the Covilhã Wool Factory
Gain insight into the city’s wool industry with a guided tour of the Covilhã Wool Factory. See the production process and learn about the history of wool production in the region.
29. Explore the Historic Village of Monsanto
Discover the unique charm of the historic village of Monsanto. Known as the “Most Portuguese Village,” Monsanto is famous for its houses built among giant boulders.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Castelo Branco (Portugal)
30. Relax at the Covilhã Thermal Spa
Indulge in some relaxation at the Covilhã Thermal Spa. Enjoy a soothing massage or soak in the thermal waters for a truly rejuvenating experience.
With so many incredible things to do in Covilhã, you’ll never be bored during your visit. Whether you’re exploring the historic center, immersing yourself in nature, or indulging in the local cuisine, Covilhã is sure to leave a lasting impression. So pack your bags and get ready for an unforgettable adventure in this charming Portuguese city.