Brive-La-Gaillarde, a charming medieval town thriving as a regional business hub, is located in the middle Corrèze department. The homes in the old town are constructed with striking pink sandstone and have blue slate roofs.
In addition to plenty of things to keep you occupied in Brive, the western foothills of the Massif Central provide plenty of magical experiences. There will be lakes, woods, and steep hills nearby, along with a variety of charming medieval settlements. Despite their allure, a few of them are never overwhelmed by visitors and are included in the official list of France’s most beautiful.
- Best Things to Do in Brive-la-Gaillarde (France)
- 1. Explore the Historic Center
- 2. Visit the Collégiale Saint-Martin
- 3. Discover the Musée Labenche
- 4. Stroll along the Quai Tourny
- 5. Explore the Jardin de l’Évêché
- 6. Visit the Maison Denoix
- 7. Attend a Performance at the Théâtre Municipal
- 8. Explore the Château de Turenne
- 9. Sample Local Delicacies at the Market Hall
- 10. Discover the Château de Castelnau-Bretenoux
- 11. Take a Boat Trip on the Dordogne River
- 12. Visit the Musée Edmond-Michelet
- 13. Explore the Gouffre de Padirac
- 14. Attend the Brive Festival
- 15. Visit the Château de Beynac
- 16. Explore the Caves of Lascaux
- 17. Enjoy a Wine Tasting Experience
- 18. Visit the Château de Hautefort
- 19. Attend the Brive Carnival
- 20. Discover the Village of Collonges-la-Rouge
- 21. Relax at the Lac du Causse
- 22. Visit the Musée de l’Automate
- 23. Explore the Grotte de Saint-Antoine
- 24. Attend the Brive Gaillarde International Rugby Tournament
- 25. Visit the Château de Montal
- 26. Explore the Grotte de Lascaux II
- 27. Attend the Brive-la-Gaillarde Christmas Market
- 28. Visit the Château de Pompadour
- 29. Explore the Gouffre de la Fage
- 30. Enjoy a Traditional French Meal
Best Things to Do in Brive-la-Gaillarde (France)
1. Explore the Historic Center
Start your visit to Brive-la-Gaillarde by exploring its charming historic center. Wander through the narrow streets lined with beautiful medieval buildings and soak in the rich history and architecture of the city.
2. Visit the Collégiale Saint-Martin
Make sure to visit the Collégiale Saint-Martin, a stunning Romanesque church dating back to the 12th century. Admire the intricate stone carvings and step inside to see the impressive stained glass windows.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Salerno (Italy)
3. Discover the Musée Labenche
Art and history enthusiasts should not miss the Musée Labenche. This museum houses a diverse collection of artifacts, including paintings, sculptures, and archaeological finds, providing a fascinating insight into the region’s past.
4. Stroll along the Quai Tourny
Take a leisurely stroll along the Quai Tourny, a picturesque riverside promenade. Enjoy the scenic views of the Corrèze River and the charming houses that line its banks.
5. Explore the Jardin de l’Évêché
Escape the hustle and bustle of the city by visiting the Jardin de l’Évêché. This peaceful garden offers a tranquil retreat with its manicured lawns, beautiful flowers, and shaded walkways.
6. Visit the Maison Denoix
Indulge in the local flavors by visiting the Maison Denoix, a distillery that has been producing traditional liqueurs since 1839. Take a guided tour to learn about the distillation process and sample their delicious products.
7. Attend a Performance at the Théâtre Municipal
Experience the vibrant cultural scene of Brive-la-Gaillarde by attending a performance at the Théâtre Municipal. From plays and operas to concerts and dance performances, there is always something exciting happening here.
8. Explore the Château de Turenne
Take a short drive from Brive-la-Gaillarde to visit the Château de Turenne. This impressive fortress perched on a hill offers breathtaking views of the surrounding countryside. Explore the castle’s ruins and learn about its fascinating history.
9. Sample Local Delicacies at the Market Hall
Head to the Market Hall to immerse yourself in the local gastronomy. Browse through the stalls filled with fresh produce, cheeses, meats, and other regional specialties. Don’t forget to try the famous Limousin beef!
10. Discover the Château de Castelnau-Bretenoux
Visit the Château de Castelnau-Bretenoux, a magnificent medieval castle located near Brive-la-Gaillarde. Explore its well-preserved rooms and enjoy the panoramic views from its towers.
11. Take a Boat Trip on the Dordogne River
Embark on a scenic boat trip on the Dordogne River. Admire the picturesque landscapes, charming villages, and stunning castles that dot the riverbanks.
12. Visit the Musée Edmond-Michelet
Learn about the life and work of Edmond Michelet, a prominent figure in the French Resistance, at the Musée Edmond-Michelet. This museum showcases his personal belongings, documents, and photographs.
13. Explore the Gouffre de Padirac
Discover the natural wonders of the Gouffre de Padirac, a breathtaking underground cave system. Take a guided tour to explore the stunning rock formations and the underground river.
14. Attend the Brive Festival
If you visit Brive-la-Gaillarde in July, don’t miss the Brive Festival. This annual music festival brings together renowned artists from various genres, providing a lively and entertaining atmosphere.
15. Visit the Château de Beynac
Travel to the nearby village of Beynac-et-Cazenac and visit the Château de Beynac. This imposing castle, perched on a cliff, offers panoramic views of the Dordogne River and the surrounding countryside.
16. Explore the Caves of Lascaux
Discover the prehistoric cave paintings at the Caves of Lascaux. Although the original caves are closed to the public, a replica, known as Lascaux IV, allows visitors to experience the awe-inspiring art.
17. Enjoy a Wine Tasting Experience
Brive-la-Gaillarde is surrounded by vineyards producing excellent wines. Take a guided tour of a local winery and indulge in a wine tasting experience to savor the flavors of the region.
18. Visit the Château de Hautefort
Travel to the picturesque village of Hautefort and explore the Château de Hautefort. This magnificent castle, surrounded by beautiful gardens, is a true architectural gem.
19. Attend the Brive Carnival
Experience the vibrant atmosphere of the Brive Carnival, held annually in February. Join the colorful parade, admire the elaborate costumes, and enjoy the lively music and entertainment.
20. Discover the Village of Collonges-la-Rouge
Take a day trip to the village of Collonges-la-Rouge, known for its distinctive red sandstone buildings. Explore the narrow streets, visit the local shops, and admire the unique architecture.
21. Relax at the Lac du Causse
Escape the city and enjoy a relaxing day at the Lac du Causse. This beautiful lake offers swimming, boating, and picnicking opportunities, surrounded by picturesque landscapes.
22. Visit the Musée de l’Automate
Step into the world of automata at the Musée de l’Automate. This unique museum showcases a collection of mechanical dolls and figurines, delighting visitors of all ages.
23. Explore the Grotte de Saint-Antoine
Discover the underground wonders of the Grotte de Saint-Antoine. Take a guided tour to explore the stunning stalactites and stalagmites, and learn about the cave’s geological history.
24. Attend the Brive Gaillarde International Rugby Tournament
If you’re a rugby fan, don’t miss the Brive Gaillarde International Rugby Tournament. Held annually, this tournament brings together teams from around the world for an exciting display of skill and athleticism.
25. Visit the Château de Montal
Travel to the village of Saint-Jean-Lespinasse and visit the Château de Montal. This Renaissance castle, with its elegant architecture and beautiful gardens, is a must-see for history and architecture enthusiasts.
26. Explore the Grotte de Lascaux II
Visit the replica of the famous Lascaux cave paintings at the Grotte de Lascaux II. This faithful reproduction allows visitors to experience the beauty and significance of the original artwork.
27. Attend the Brive-la-Gaillarde Christmas Market
Experience the magic of the holiday season at the Brive-la-Gaillarde Christmas Market. Browse through the stalls filled with festive decorations, artisanal crafts, and delicious treats.
28. Visit the Château de Pompadour
Travel to the town of Arnac-Pompadour and visit the Château de Pompadour. This elegant castle, surrounded by extensive grounds, is known for its association with Madame de Pompadour, the mistress of King Louis XV.
29. Explore the Gouffre de la Fage
Discover the underground wonders of the Gouffre de la Fage. Take a guided tour to explore the impressive chambers, underground rivers, and unique rock formations.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Villeneuve-d’Ascq (France)
30. Enjoy a Traditional French Meal
End your visit to Brive-la-Gaillarde by indulging in a traditional French meal. Sample the local cuisine, including dishes like foie gras, confit de canard, and tarte tatin, and savor the flavors of the region.
With its rich history, stunning architecture, and beautiful natural landscapes, Brive-la-Gaillarde offers a wide range of activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy. Whether you’re interested in history, culture, nature, or gastronomy, this charming city in France has something to offer for everyone.