Bergamo, located in the Lombardy region of Italy, is a charming city that offers a perfect blend of history, culture, and natural beauty. With its well-preserved medieval architecture and stunning landscapes, Bergamo attracts visitors from all over the world. Whether you’re a history buff, an art lover, or a nature enthusiast, there are plenty of things to do and see in Bergamo. In this article, we will explore the 30 best things to do in Bergamo, ensuring that you make the most of your visit to this enchanting Italian city.
- Best Things to Do in Bergamo (Italy)
- 1. Explore Città Alta
- 2. Take a Funicular Ride
- 3. Visit the Accademia Carrara
- 4. Wander through the Botanical Garden
- 5. Explore the Venetian Walls
- 6. Visit the Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore
- 7. Discover the Museo Donizettiano
- 8. Take a Walk in Parco dei Colli
- 9. Enjoy a Gelato at Gelateria La Romana
- 10. Visit the Bergamo Science Museum
- 11. Explore the Bergamo Botanical Garden
- 12. Take a Boat Ride on Lake Iseo
- 13. Visit the Museum of Natural Sciences
- 14. Explore the Bergamo Cathedral
- 15. Discover the San Vigilio Castle
- 16. Sample Local Cuisine
- 17. Visit the Donizetti Theatre
- 18. Explore the Archaeological Museum
- 19. Take a Day Trip to Milan
- 20. Visit the Church of San Michele al Pozzo Bianco
- 21. Explore the Bergamo History Museum
- 22. Take a Walk along Via XX Settembre
- 23. Visit the Donizetti Museum
- 24. Explore the Bergamo Modern Art Gallery
- 25. Take a Walk in Parco della Trucca
- 26. Visit the Orto Botanico di Bergamo Lorenzo Rota
- 27. Explore the Bergamo Civic Tower
- 28. Take a Walk along the Sentierone
- 29. Visit the Donizetti Monument
- 30. Relax at the Bergamo Spa
Best Things to Do in Bergamo (Italy)
1. Explore Città Alta
Start your journey in Bergamo by exploring Città Alta, the historic upper town. Walk along the ancient city walls, visit the magnificent Piazza Vecchia, and admire the stunning architecture of the Bergamo Cathedral.
2. Take a Funicular Ride
Enjoy a scenic funicular ride from the lower town to Città Alta. As you ascend, you’ll be treated to breathtaking views of Bergamo and the surrounding landscapes.
3. Visit the Accademia Carrara
Art enthusiasts should not miss a visit to the Accademia Carrara, which houses an impressive collection of Renaissance and Baroque art, including works by Botticelli, Raphael, and Canaletto.
4. Wander through the Botanical Garden
Escape the hustle and bustle of the city by strolling through the peaceful Botanical Garden. With its diverse collection of plants and flowers, it’s the perfect place to relax and unwind.
5. Explore the Venetian Walls
Take a leisurely walk along the Venetian Walls, which surround the city and offer panoramic views of Bergamo and the surrounding countryside.
6. Visit the Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore
Admire the beautiful frescoes and intricate architecture of the Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore, one of the most important religious sites in Bergamo.
7. Discover the Museo Donizettiano
Music lovers should pay a visit to the Museo Donizettiano, dedicated to the famous composer Gaetano Donizetti. Explore the exhibits and learn about the life and works of this renowned musician.
8. Take a Walk in Parco dei Colli
Nature lovers will appreciate a visit to Parco dei Colli, a vast park that offers stunning views, walking trails, and picnic areas. It’s the perfect place to reconnect with nature.
9. Enjoy a Gelato at Gelateria La Romana
Indulge in a delicious gelato at Gelateria La Romana, a popular gelateria known for its wide variety of flavors and high-quality ingredients.
10. Visit the Bergamo Science Museum
Families with children will enjoy a visit to the Bergamo Science Museum, where interactive exhibits and hands-on activities make learning fun and engaging.
11. Explore the Bergamo Botanical Garden
Discover a wide variety of plants and flowers at the Bergamo Botanical Garden, which features several themed gardens and a greenhouse.
12. Take a Boat Ride on Lake Iseo
Escape the city and take a boat ride on Lake Iseo, located just a short drive from Bergamo. Enjoy the tranquil waters and breathtaking scenery.
13. Visit the Museum of Natural Sciences
Learn about the natural history of the region at the Museum of Natural Sciences, which houses a vast collection of fossils, minerals, and animal specimens.
14. Explore the Bergamo Cathedral
Marvel at the stunning architecture of the Bergamo Cathedral, dedicated to Saint Alexander. Climb to the top of the bell tower for panoramic views of the city.
15. Discover the San Vigilio Castle
Take a leisurely walk up to the San Vigilio Castle and enjoy panoramic views of Bergamo and the surrounding landscapes. Don’t forget to visit the charming chapel inside the castle.
16. Sample Local Cuisine
Indulge in the delicious flavors of Bergamo by sampling the local cuisine. Try traditional dishes such as casoncelli, polenta e osei, and stracciatella gelato.
17. Visit the Donizetti Theatre
Catch a performance at the Donizetti Theatre, named after the famous composer Gaetano Donizetti. The theater hosts a variety of shows, including opera, ballet, and concerts.
18. Explore the Archaeological Museum
Learn about the ancient history of Bergamo at the Archaeological Museum, which showcases artifacts from the Roman and prehistoric eras.
19. Take a Day Trip to Milan
Bergamo is conveniently located near Milan, making it easy to take a day trip to the fashion capital of Italy. Explore iconic landmarks such as the Duomo di Milano and the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II.
20. Visit the Church of San Michele al Pozzo Bianco
Admire the beautiful frescoes and intricate details of the Church of San Michele al Pozzo Bianco, a hidden gem in the heart of Bergamo.
21. Explore the Bergamo History Museum
Learn about the rich history of Bergamo at the Bergamo History Museum, which features exhibits on the city’s medieval past and its role in the unification of Italy.
22. Take a Walk along Via XX Settembre
Stroll along Via XX Settembre, Bergamo’s main shopping street, and explore the boutiques, cafes, and restaurants that line the bustling thoroughfare.
23. Visit the Donizetti Museum
Discover more about the life and works of Gaetano Donizetti at the Donizetti Museum, which showcases personal belongings, manuscripts, and memorabilia of the famous composer.
24. Explore the Bergamo Modern Art Gallery
Art enthusiasts should not miss a visit to the Bergamo Modern Art Gallery, which houses a collection of contemporary artworks by Italian and international artists.
25. Take a Walk in Parco della Trucca
Escape the city and enjoy a peaceful walk in Parco della Trucca, a park known for its beautiful lakes, walking trails, and picnic areas.
26. Visit the Orto Botanico di Bergamo Lorenzo Rota
Discover a wide variety of plant species at the Orto Botanico di Bergamo Lorenzo Rota, a botanical garden that focuses on the conservation and study of native plants.
27. Explore the Bergamo Civic Tower
Climb to the top of the Bergamo Civic Tower for panoramic views of the city and the surrounding landscapes. The tower also houses a small museum showcasing the history of Bergamo.
28. Take a Walk along the Sentierone
Enjoy a leisurely walk along the Sentierone, a pedestrian promenade lined with shops, cafes, and historic buildings. It’s the perfect place to soak up the lively atmosphere of Bergamo.
29. Visit the Donizetti Monument
Pay homage to Gaetano Donizetti at the Donizetti Monument, a statue dedicated to the famous composer located in Piazza Cavour.
30. Relax at the Bergamo Spa
Indulge in some well-deserved pampering at the Bergamo Spa, where you can enjoy a range of treatments, including massages, facials, and hydrotherapy.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Sines (Portugal)
Bergamo offers a wealth of attractions and activities for every type of traveler. From exploring the historic upper town to indulging in delicious cuisine and enjoying the natural beauty of the surrounding landscapes, there is something for everyone to enjoy in this charming Italian city. So, plan your visit to Bergamo and experience the 30 best things to do in this enchanting destination.