Welcome to Barletta, a charming coastal town in Italy that offers a unique blend of history, culture, and natural beauty. Whether you’re a history buff, a foodie, or simply looking for a relaxing getaway, Barletta has something for everyone. In this blog post, we’ve compiled a list of the 30 best things to do in Barletta, so you can make the most of your visit.
- Best Things to Do in Barletta (Italy)
- 1. Explore the Castello Svevo
- 2. Stroll along the Lungomare
- 3. Visit the Colossus of Barletta
- 4. Explore the Historic Center
- 5. Discover the Basilica del Santo Sepolcro
- 6. Take a Dip at Pane e Pomodoro Beach
- 7. Visit the Palazzo della Marra
- 8. Try Traditional Barlettan Cuisine
- 9. Attend the Disfida di Barletta
- 10. Explore the Archaeological Park of Canne della Battaglia
- 11. Admire the Teatro Curci
- 12. Take a Boat Trip to the Tremiti Islands
- 13. Visit the Pinacoteca De Nittis
- 14. Explore the Parco Archeologico di San Giovanni
- 15. Enjoy the Barletta Carnival
- 16. Visit the Museo della Cattedrale
- 17. Take a Bike Ride along the Adriatic Coast
- 18. Discover the Palazzo della Prefettura
- 19. Attend the Barletta Jazz Festival
- 20. Visit the Museo Civico Barletta
- 21. Take a Day Trip to Trani
- 22. Relax at the Terme Margherita di Savoia
- 23. Visit the Museo De Nittis
- 24. Explore the Barletta Fish Market
- 25. Take a Cooking Class
- 26. Visit the Chiesa del Purgatorio
- 27. Attend the Barletta International Film Festival
- 28. Take a Wine Tasting Tour
- 29. Explore the Barletta Market
- 30. Relax at the Giardini Margherita
Best Things to Do in Barletta (Italy)
1. Explore the Castello Svevo
Start your journey by visiting the iconic Castello Svevo, a medieval fortress that overlooks the Adriatic Sea. Take a guided tour to learn about its fascinating history and enjoy breathtaking views from the top.
2. Stroll along the Lungomare
Take a leisurely walk along the Lungomare, Barletta’s picturesque promenade. Enjoy the sea breeze, soak in the stunning views, and stop by one of the many cafes for a refreshing drink.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Braga (Portugal)
3. Visit the Colossus of Barletta
Don’t miss the opportunity to see the famous Colossus of Barletta, a bronze statue of a Roman emperor. Marvel at its impressive size and learn about its intriguing history.
4. Explore the Historic Center
Immerse yourself in Barletta’s rich history by exploring the charming streets of the historic center. Admire the beautiful architecture, visit the local shops, and indulge in some traditional Italian gelato.
5. Discover the Basilica del Santo Sepolcro
Step inside the Basilica del Santo Sepolcro, a stunning church that dates back to the 12th century. Admire its intricate architecture and marvel at the beautiful frescoes.
6. Take a Dip at Pane e Pomodoro Beach
Escape the heat and relax at Pane e Pomodoro Beach, one of Barletta’s most popular beaches. Enjoy the crystal-clear waters, soak up the sun, and indulge in some delicious seafood at the nearby restaurants.
7. Visit the Palazzo della Marra
Explore the Palazzo della Marra, a historic palace that houses the Civic Museum of Barletta. Learn about the town’s past through its impressive collection of artifacts and artworks.
8. Try Traditional Barlettan Cuisine
No visit to Barletta is complete without trying the local cuisine. Indulge in some traditional dishes like orecchiette pasta, burrata cheese, and fresh seafood. Don’t forget to pair your meal with a glass of delicious Italian wine.
9. Attend the Disfida di Barletta
If you’re lucky enough to visit Barletta in May, don’t miss the Disfida di Barletta, a historical reenactment that commemorates a famous battle. Watch knights in armor compete in jousting tournaments and immerse yourself in the medieval atmosphere.
10. Explore the Archaeological Park of Canne della Battaglia
Take a short trip outside of Barletta to visit the Archaeological Park of Canne della Battaglia. Explore the ancient ruins, learn about the Battle of Cannae, and enjoy panoramic views of the surrounding countryside.
11. Admire the Teatro Curci
Visit the Teatro Curci, a beautiful theater that hosts a variety of cultural events throughout the year. Catch a play, a concert, or a ballet performance and experience the vibrant arts scene of Barletta.
12. Take a Boat Trip to the Tremiti Islands
Embark on a boat trip to the Tremiti Islands, a small archipelago off the coast of Barletta. Explore the pristine beaches, swim in the crystal-clear waters, and discover the rich marine life.
13. Visit the Pinacoteca De Nittis
Art enthusiasts shouldn’t miss the Pinacoteca De Nittis, a museum dedicated to the works of Giuseppe De Nittis, a renowned Italian painter. Admire his stunning landscapes and portraits.
14. Explore the Parco Archeologico di San Giovanni
Discover the Parco Archeologico di San Giovanni, an archaeological park that showcases the remains of a Roman villa. Take a guided tour to learn about the history of the site and see the well-preserved mosaics.
15. Enjoy the Barletta Carnival
If you’re visiting Barletta in February, don’t miss the Barletta Carnival, a lively celebration filled with colorful costumes, parades, and street performances. Join in the fun and experience the vibrant carnival atmosphere.
16. Visit the Museo della Cattedrale
Step inside the Museo della Cattedrale, a museum located within the Barletta Cathedral. Admire the impressive collection of religious artifacts and learn about the history of the cathedral.
17. Take a Bike Ride along the Adriatic Coast
Rent a bike and take a leisurely ride along the Adriatic Coast. Enjoy the scenic views, feel the refreshing breeze, and stop by one of the beachside cafes for a quick break.
18. Discover the Palazzo della Prefettura
Explore the Palazzo della Prefettura, a beautiful palace that houses the Prefecture of Barletta-Andria-Trani. Admire the stunning architecture and learn about the role of the prefecture in the region.
19. Attend the Barletta Jazz Festival
If you’re a jazz enthusiast, plan your visit to Barletta during the Barletta Jazz Festival. Enjoy live performances by local and international jazz artists and immerse yourself in the vibrant music scene.
20. Visit the Museo Civico Barletta
Learn about the history and culture of Barletta at the Museo Civico Barletta. Explore the museum’s diverse collection of artifacts, artworks, and historical documents.
21. Take a Day Trip to Trani
Take a short trip to the nearby town of Trani and explore its beautiful historic center. Visit the stunning Trani Cathedral, stroll along the harbor, and enjoy a delicious seafood lunch at one of the waterfront restaurants.
22. Relax at the Terme Margherita di Savoia
Indulge in some relaxation at the Terme Margherita di Savoia, a thermal spa located near Barletta. Enjoy a rejuvenating spa treatment, soak in the healing waters, and unwind in the tranquil atmosphere.
23. Visit the Museo De Nittis
Art lovers shouldn’t miss the Museo De Nittis, a museum dedicated to the works of Giuseppe De Nittis. Admire his stunning impressionist paintings and learn about his life and artistic career.
24. Explore the Barletta Fish Market
Immerse yourself in the vibrant atmosphere of the Barletta Fish Market. Stroll through the stalls, admire the fresh seafood, and try some local delicacies.
25. Take a Cooking Class
Learn how to cook traditional Barlettan dishes by taking a cooking class. Discover the secrets of Italian cuisine, try your hand at making homemade pasta, and savor the delicious results.
26. Visit the Chiesa del Purgatorio
Step inside the Chiesa del Purgatorio, a beautiful church that houses the famous Misteri di Barletta. Admire the intricate sculptures and learn about the religious traditions of Barletta.
27. Attend the Barletta International Film Festival
If you’re a film enthusiast, don’t miss the Barletta International Film Festival. Watch screenings of independent films from around the world and get a glimpse into the world of cinema.
28. Take a Wine Tasting Tour
Indulge in the flavors of Barletta by taking a wine tasting tour. Visit local wineries, sample a variety of wines, and learn about the winemaking process.
29. Explore the Barletta Market
Experience the lively atmosphere of the Barletta Market. Browse through the stalls, shop for fresh produce, and discover unique souvenirs to take home.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Évora (Portugal)
30. Relax at the Giardini Margherita
End your visit to Barletta with a relaxing stroll through the Giardini Margherita. Enjoy the beautiful gardens, take in the scenic views, and unwind in the peaceful surroundings.
With so many incredible things to do in Barletta, you’ll never have a dull moment during your visit. Whether you’re exploring the historic sites, indulging in delicious cuisine, or simply enjoying the natural beauty of the town, Barletta is sure to leave a lasting impression. So pack your bags, book your tickets, and get ready for an unforgettable adventure in Barletta, Italy!