Auxerre, a picturesque town in the heart of France, is a hidden gem waiting to be explored. With its rich history, stunning architecture, and vibrant culture, there are countless things to do and see in this enchanting destination. Whether you’re a history buff, a foodie, or simply someone who appreciates the beauty of nature, Auxerre has something for everyone.
- Best Things to Do in Auxerre (France)
- 1. Visit the Cathédrale Saint-Étienne
- 2. Explore the Abbaye Saint-Germain
- 3. Wander through the Old Town
- 4. Sample Local Wines
- 5. Take a Boat Ride on the River Yonne
- 6. Visit the Musée Leblanc-Duvernoy
- 7. Explore the Jardin des Remparts
- 8. Discover the Château d’Auxerre
- 9. Indulge in Local Cuisine
- 10. Attend a Concert at the Théâtre
- 11. Visit the Musée d’Histoire Naturelle
- 12. Explore the Caves of Bailly-Lapierre
- 13. Take a Bike Ride along the Canal du Nivernais
- 14. Visit the Musée des Beaux-Arts
- 15. Explore the Maison de Colette
- 16. Attend the Auxerre Wine Festival
- 17. Take a Day Trip to Vézelay
- 18. Discover the Musée Le Secq des Tournelles
- 19. Visit the Musée de la Marine de Seine
- 20. Explore the Chablis Vineyards
- 21. Attend a Wine Tasting Workshop
- 22. Visit the Musée de l’Horlogerie
- 23. Explore the Château de Tanlay
- 24. Take a Guided Walking Tour
- 25. Attend the Auxerre Christmas Market
- 26. Visit the Musée de la Résistance en Morvan
- 27. Take a Cooking Class
- 28. Explore the Noyers-sur-Serein
- 29. Attend the Auxerre Music Festival
- 30. Relax by the River Yonne
Best Things to Do in Auxerre (France)
1. Visit the Cathédrale Saint-Étienne
Start your journey by visiting the Cathédrale Saint-Étienne, a masterpiece of Gothic architecture. Marvel at its intricate stained glass windows and climb to the top for panoramic views of the city.
2. Explore the Abbaye Saint-Germain
Next, head to the Abbaye Saint-Germain, a former Benedictine monastery that now houses a museum. Admire the Romanesque architecture and explore the fascinating exhibits.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Espinho (Portugal)
3. Wander through the Old Town
Take a leisurely stroll through the charming streets of the Old Town. Admire the half-timbered houses, quaint shops, and lively cafes. Don’t forget to visit the Maison de l’Arbre de Jessé, a unique medieval house.
4. Sample Local Wines
Auxerre is located in the heart of the Burgundy wine region, so it’s the perfect opportunity to sample some local wines. Visit one of the many wineries in the area and indulge in a wine tasting experience.
5. Take a Boat Ride on the River Yonne
Enjoy a leisurely boat ride on the River Yonne and take in the scenic beauty of the surrounding countryside. It’s a relaxing way to see Auxerre from a different perspective.
6. Visit the Musée Leblanc-Duvernoy
Art enthusiasts will love the Musée Leblanc-Duvernoy, which houses a collection of paintings, sculptures, and decorative arts. Discover works by renowned artists such as Monet and Renoir.
7. Explore the Jardin des Remparts
Escape the hustle and bustle of the city and explore the peaceful Jardin des Remparts. This beautiful garden offers stunning views of the city walls and the surrounding countryside.
8. Discover the Château d’Auxerre
Step back in time and visit the Château d’Auxerre, a medieval fortress that overlooks the city. Explore the ancient ramparts and enjoy breathtaking views of the town below.
9. Indulge in Local Cuisine
Auxerre is known for its delicious cuisine, so be sure to indulge in some local dishes. Try classics like escargots, coq au vin, and crème brûlée at one of the town’s charming restaurants.
10. Attend a Concert at the Théâtre
Experience the vibrant cultural scene of Auxerre by attending a concert at the Théâtre. From classical music to contemporary performances, there’s always something exciting happening here.
11. Visit the Musée d’Histoire Naturelle
If you’re interested in natural history, don’t miss the Musée d’Histoire Naturelle. Discover fossils, minerals, and animal specimens from around the world.
12. Explore the Caves of Bailly-Lapierre
Embark on an underground adventure and explore the fascinating Caves of Bailly-Lapierre. Learn about the process of winemaking and marvel at the impressive vaulted cellars.
13. Take a Bike Ride along the Canal du Nivernais
Rent a bike and enjoy a scenic ride along the Canal du Nivernais. Admire the beautiful landscapes and stop at charming villages along the way.
14. Visit the Musée des Beaux-Arts
Art lovers shouldn’t miss the Musée des Beaux-Arts, which houses a collection of paintings, sculptures, and decorative arts from the Middle Ages to the present day.
15. Explore the Maison de Colette
Discover the life and works of the famous French author Colette at the Maison de Colette. Explore the rooms where she lived and learn about her literary legacy.
16. Attend the Auxerre Wine Festival
If you’re visiting Auxerre in September, make sure to attend the Auxerre Wine Festival. Sample a wide variety of local wines, enjoy live music, and immerse yourself in the festive atmosphere.
17. Take a Day Trip to Vézelay
Vézelay, a nearby town, is home to the stunning Basilica of Sainte-Marie-Madeleine. Take a day trip from Auxerre and explore this UNESCO World Heritage site.
18. Discover the Musée Le Secq des Tournelles
Art and history enthusiasts will appreciate the Musée Le Secq des Tournelles, which houses a collection of wrought-iron objects. Admire the intricate craftsmanship of these unique pieces.
19. Visit the Musée de la Marine de Seine
Learn about the rich maritime history of the region at the Musée de la Marine de Seine. Discover models of historic ships and explore interactive exhibits.
20. Explore the Chablis Vineyards
Take a short drive from Auxerre and explore the famous Chablis vineyards. Visit wineries, taste exquisite wines, and learn about the winemaking process.
21. Attend a Wine Tasting Workshop
Expand your knowledge of wine by attending a wine tasting workshop. Learn about different grape varieties, wine regions, and flavor profiles.
22. Visit the Musée de l’Horlogerie
If you’re fascinated by clocks and watches, don’t miss the Musée de l’Horlogerie. Discover the history of timekeeping and admire a collection of antique timepieces.
23. Explore the Château de Tanlay
Step into a fairytale and visit the Château de Tanlay, a stunning Renaissance castle surrounded by a moat. Explore the elegant interiors and stroll through the manicured gardens.
24. Take a Guided Walking Tour
Join a guided walking tour to learn more about the history and culture of Auxerre. Follow an experienced guide and discover hidden gems along the way.
25. Attend the Auxerre Christmas Market
If you’re visiting Auxerre during the holiday season, make sure to visit the Auxerre Christmas Market. Browse through stalls selling local crafts, enjoy festive treats, and soak up the festive atmosphere.
26. Visit the Musée de la Résistance en Morvan
Learn about the history of the French Resistance during World War II at the Musée de la Résistance en Morvan. Explore the exhibits and gain a deeper understanding of this important period.
27. Take a Cooking Class
Immerse yourself in the culinary traditions of Auxerre by taking a cooking class. Learn how to prepare classic French dishes and impress your friends and family back home.
28. Explore the Noyers-sur-Serein
Take a short drive from Auxerre and explore the charming village of Noyers-sur-Serein. Wander through its narrow streets, admire the well-preserved medieval architecture, and visit the local art galleries.
29. Attend the Auxerre Music Festival
If you’re a music lover, don’t miss the Auxerre Music Festival. Enjoy performances by renowned musicians in beautiful venues throughout the city.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Puerto Madryn (Argentina)
30. Relax by the River Yonne
After a day of exploring, find a spot by the River Yonne and relax. Enjoy a picnic, read a book, or simply take in the peaceful atmosphere.
With so many incredible things to do in Auxerre, you’ll never run out of activities to fill your days. Whether you’re interested in history, art, food, or simply enjoying the beauty of nature, this charming town has it all. So pack your bags, put on your walking shoes, and get ready to uncover the hidden gems of Auxerre.