Austria is a country known for its stunning landscapes, rich history, and vibrant culture. Whether you are a nature lover, history buff, or simply looking for a memorable vacation, Austria has something for everyone. In this blog post, we will explore the 30 best things to do in Austria, ensuring that you make the most of your visit to this beautiful country.
- Best Things to Do in Austria
- 1. Explore the Historic City of Vienna
- 2. Discover the Beauty of Salzburg
- 3. Visit the Picturesque Hallstatt
- 4. Experience the Magic of Innsbruck
- 5. Take a Sound of Music Tour in Salzburg
- 6. Explore the Wachau Valley
- 7. Go Skiing in the Austrian Alps
- 8. Visit the Eisriesenwelt Ice Caves
- 9. Discover the Hohensalzburg Fortress
- 10. Relax in the Thermal Baths of Baden
- 11. Visit the Swarovski Crystal Worlds
- 12. Take a Boat Ride on Lake Wolfgang
- 13. Explore the Graz Old Town
- 14. Visit the Kunsthistorisches Museum in Vienna
- 15. Explore the Melk Abbey
- 16. Go Hiking in the Hohe Tauern National Park
- 17. Visit the Belvedere Palace in Vienna
- 18. Explore the Salzkammergut Region
- 19. Take a Ride on the Schafbergbahn
- 20. Visit the Mozarthaus in Vienna
- 21. Discover the Grossglockner High Alpine Road
- 22. Take a Stroll in the Vienna Woods
- 23. Visit the St. Stephen’s Cathedral in Vienna
- 24. Explore the Schönbrunn Palace Gardens
- 25. Go Wine Tasting in the Wachau Valley
- 26. Visit the Leopold Museum in Vienna
- 27. Explore the Schladming-Dachstein Region
- 28. Visit the Vienna State Opera
- 29. Take a Ride on the Schönbrunn Panorama Train
- 30. Explore the Hallein Salt Mine
Best Things to Do in Austria
1. Explore the Historic City of Vienna
Start your Austrian adventure by exploring the historic city of Vienna. Visit the iconic Schönbrunn Palace, St. Stephen’s Cathedral, and the Belvedere Palace. Take a stroll through the charming streets of the city and immerse yourself in its rich history and culture.
2. Discover the Beauty of Salzburg
Salzburg, the birthplace of Mozart, is a must-visit destination in Austria. Explore the stunning Mirabell Palace and Gardens, visit the Hohensalzburg Fortress, and take a walk through the charming Old Town.
Read more : Best Things to Do in Vendas Novas (Portugal)
3. Visit the Picturesque Hallstatt
Hallstatt, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, is known for its breathtaking beauty. Take a boat ride on Lake Hallstatt, explore the ancient salt mines, and soak in the stunning alpine views.
4. Experience the Magic of Innsbruck
Innsbruck, the capital of the Tyrol region, is a city surrounded by mountains. Visit the iconic Golden Roof, explore the Imperial Palace, and take a cable car ride to the Nordkette mountain range for panoramic views.
5. Take a Sound of Music Tour in Salzburg
If you are a fan of the classic movie “The Sound of Music,” a tour in Salzburg is a must. Visit the filming locations and sing along to the iconic songs from the movie.
6. Explore the Wachau Valley
The Wachau Valley is a picturesque region known for its vineyards, castles, and charming villages. Take a scenic cruise along the Danube River, visit the Melk Abbey, and sample the local wines.
7. Go Skiing in the Austrian Alps
Austria is a paradise for winter sports enthusiasts. Hit the slopes in popular ski resorts like St. Anton, Kitzbühel, and Ischgl, and enjoy the stunning alpine scenery.
8. Visit the Eisriesenwelt Ice Caves
Located in Werfen, the Eisriesenwelt Ice Caves are the largest ice caves in the world. Explore the magical ice formations and learn about the fascinating history of the caves.
9. Discover the Hohensalzburg Fortress
Perched on a hilltop overlooking Salzburg, the Hohensalzburg Fortress is one of the largest medieval castles in Europe. Take a guided tour and enjoy panoramic views of the city.
10. Relax in the Thermal Baths of Baden
Unwind and rejuvenate in the thermal baths of Baden. The Römertherme and the Helenenquelle are popular choices for a relaxing day of wellness.
11. Visit the Swarovski Crystal Worlds
Located in Wattens, the Swarovski Crystal Worlds is a unique museum dedicated to the art of crystal. Explore the dazzling installations and learn about the history of Swarovski.
12. Take a Boat Ride on Lake Wolfgang
Lake Wolfgang is a picturesque lake located in the Salzkammergut region. Take a boat ride, enjoy the stunning views, and visit the charming villages along the shore.
13. Explore the Graz Old Town
Graz, the second-largest city in Austria, is known for its well-preserved Old Town. Explore the narrow streets, visit the Graz Cathedral, and climb the Schlossberg for panoramic views.
14. Visit the Kunsthistorisches Museum in Vienna
The Kunsthistorisches Museum in Vienna is a treasure trove of art and history. Admire masterpieces by artists like Rembrandt, Vermeer, and Raphael.
15. Explore the Melk Abbey
The Melk Abbey is a magnificent Benedictine abbey located on a hilltop overlooking the Danube River. Take a guided tour and marvel at the stunning baroque architecture.
16. Go Hiking in the Hohe Tauern National Park
The Hohe Tauern National Park is the largest national park in Austria. Lace up your hiking boots and explore the pristine alpine landscapes.
17. Visit the Belvedere Palace in Vienna
The Belvedere Palace is a stunning baroque palace in Vienna. Admire the impressive art collection, including works by Gustav Klimt.
18. Explore the Salzkammergut Region
The Salzkammergut region is known for its crystal-clear lakes and charming towns. Visit the picturesque village of Hallstatt, take a boat ride on Lake Wolfgang, and enjoy the natural beauty of the region.
19. Take a Ride on the Schafbergbahn
The Schafbergbahn is a historic steam train that takes you to the summit of the Schafberg mountain. Enjoy breathtaking views of the surrounding alpine scenery.
20. Visit the Mozarthaus in Vienna
Explore the former residence of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart in Vienna. Learn about the life and work of the famous composer.
21. Discover the Grossglockner High Alpine Road
The Grossglockner High Alpine Road is a scenic mountain road that takes you through the heart of the Austrian Alps. Enjoy panoramic views of the surrounding peaks and glaciers.
22. Take a Stroll in the Vienna Woods
The Vienna Woods is a beautiful forested area located just outside of Vienna. Take a leisurely stroll, enjoy a picnic, or go cycling in this tranquil natural setting.
23. Visit the St. Stephen’s Cathedral in Vienna
The St. Stephen’s Cathedral is a magnificent Gothic cathedral located in the heart of Vienna. Admire the stunning architecture and climb the tower for panoramic views of the city.
24. Explore the Schönbrunn Palace Gardens
The Schönbrunn Palace Gardens are a perfect place to relax and unwind. Take a leisurely walk, enjoy a picnic, or visit the famous Schönbrunn Zoo.
25. Go Wine Tasting in the Wachau Valley
The Wachau Valley is known for its excellent wines. Visit one of the many wineries in the region and sample the local Grüner Veltliner and Riesling.
26. Visit the Leopold Museum in Vienna
The Leopold Museum in Vienna houses an impressive collection of modern Austrian art. Admire works by artists like Gustav Klimt and Egon Schiele.
27. Explore the Schladming-Dachstein Region
The Schladming-Dachstein region is a paradise for outdoor enthusiasts. Go hiking, mountain biking, or skiing in this stunning alpine region.
28. Visit the Vienna State Opera
The Vienna State Opera is one of the most prestigious opera houses in the world. Attend a performance and experience the magic of opera.
29. Take a Ride on the Schönbrunn Panorama Train
The Schönbrunn Panorama Train takes you on a tour of the Schönbrunn Palace grounds. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the beautiful scenery.
Read More : Best Things to Do in Hyères (France)
30. Explore the Hallein Salt Mine
The Hallein Salt Mine is one of the oldest salt mines in the world. Take a guided tour and learn about the fascinating history of salt mining.
These are just a few of the many amazing things to do in Austria. Whether you are exploring the historic cities, enjoying the natural beauty of the countryside, or immersing yourself in the rich culture, Austria is sure to leave you with unforgettable memories.